Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 30, 2024, 12:21:53 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 50
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 46
Total: 46
46 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Quad Rings no problem(old sticky)  (Read 5511 times)

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
Quad Rings no problem(old sticky)
« on: June 09, 2003, 06:45:46 am »
Hi, As most of us seem to have a problem with the swinging arm Quad rings rolling when refitting the swinging arm I have started a spreading method to overcome this problem and it works a treat with no component damage and it takes 5 mins.Note I have only tried this on a carbon swinging arm though I intend to try it on an aluminium one soon. First I got an M12X35mm bolt and fitted a plain nut until it was flush with the end of the bolt, fit the bolt between the inside faces of the swinging arm at the front where it starts to angle down (I have pictures of the procedure,I've put them in my gallery,simon) put large penny washers between the face of the swinging arm and the nut and bolt unscrew the nut gently until the inside measurement at the pivots measure 55mm (this takes very little pressure to achive this measurement as the deflection required is only 1-1.5mm), offer up the swinging arm to the frame with the spreader bolt still in place, install the bearings through the bushes and fit the retaining bolt but leave it loose, remove the spreading bolt then tighten the retaining bolt then set up the bushes as normal, job done.Simon.(To aid this information there are photo's in my gallery.Simon.) [smiley=laughing.gif]
« Last Edit: January 21, 2004, 05:39:00 pm by kiwi »
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

Scott

• Master
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Quad Rings no problem
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2003, 06:55:52 am »
Blimey, Mate that's a right tidy solution you've come up with!
Scott
Pittsfield, Massachusetts
K2 Oz
K2 5000
Extralite F1 (sub 20lb FS)
Trek 1000 road

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2003, 07:19:53 am »
wow!!! makes me wanna take my swingarm off again!

[smiley=beer.gif]

you can upload to your gallery and let us see em if you want.

i took the liberty of posting a pic here, Simon, hope you don't mind...

[smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif]

« Last Edit: June 11, 2003, 05:02:31 am by carbon_angus »

Phillip

• Journeyman
  • lead, follow or ...
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2003, 02:18:52 am »
That's a good idea. Another solution is to Superglue the Quad Rings to the swingarm. I can install my swingarm in 15 seconds!  :o

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2003, 06:15:08 am »
Yep one of the first things I tried that but I was unhappy with the result, as the quad rings still have to be forced past the sharp edge of the boss that it seals against tearing the seal or just taking the edge off the seal, thus the seal is no longer doing the job its designed for, also you have to clean off the old glue if you replace the bushes or seals just my opinion though. :)  
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

RoentgenRanger

• Journeyman
  • mud, sweat and gears
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2003, 02:30:27 am »
Wow!  Good call.  I had a different plan of attack that worked with the older aluminum swingarms(read Proflex 450).  We used  a QR skewer in the rear dropouts and cammed it just enough to spread the pivot.  It worked great, but wasn't worth beans on the newer Evo and Oz swingarms as the cross-member was much broader.
'04 Santa Cruz Heckler
'03 Razorback
'93 Bontrager Race SS
'97 Custom Reynolds 853 GT Edge Road
'90? Specialized Hardrock(commuter)
'91 Trek T50 Road Tandem