Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 30, 2024, 04:31:10 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 21
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 40
Total: 40
40 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Chain slap/ tensioners...  (Read 2998 times)

keen

• Journeyman
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Chain slap/ tensioners...
« on: June 01, 2003, 04:55:13 pm »
  I seem to get a lot of chain slap on my 01' Disco monkey. I am pretty sure the chain is the correct length - I went big big add a link sizing method. What are the alternatives? I saw a Kore chain tensioner advertised, but don't know how they actually work or fit an EVO swingarm. Thanx

Carbon_Kiwi

• Master
    • Aotearoa Web Design
Re: Chain slap/ tensioners...
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2003, 05:30:12 pm »
i don't know if this will really be what yr after, but i've got a bullet bros chain tensioner [check out my gallery] it fits at the rear dropout - above the deraileur - and then has a spring that attaches at the bottom deraileur hanger.
it suits me down to the ground.
1: it's light
2: it's not intrusive and it's silent  ;)
3: it's blue
but of course remember i'm a xc guy and just wanted a little extra tension for those downhill sections, so depending on yr type of riding it may not be heavy duty enough for you...
ProFlex 957 [retired - but she will be back...]
K2 Oz - I LOVE my Oz   [smiley=nod.gif]
Giant OCR-0
Diamond Back Apex
Specialized Source Eleven

Prowler

• Apprentice
    • Jays FR MTB site
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2003, 01:05:07 am »
Your right. The KORE guide won't fit the swingarm. If you don't mind dropping your big ring, you can get a MRP LRP or an Evil dual ring chain guide. Blackspire may have one by now too. I have a custom guide on my EVO thats based on the LRP(a friend made it for me) and I got the dual ring roller from Risse. It actually works a little better than the LRP I previously had mounted. You can see it, although not very well, in the gallery.

If you want to keep all 3 rings, the Montara Design Heim 3 Guide is the only one I know of that has had decent reviews, but I haven't seen one in person. Might want to see MTBR for a review of it.
Iron Horse SGS Expert DH/FR
Cheeta Prowler DH(RIP-broke it)
K2 EVO FR/Trail

GET

• Journeyman
  • Where are the land bridges?
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2003, 11:31:08 pm »
When I first got my 5500C, it came with a 46 tooth big front ring and a 34 tooth big cog in the back.  Using the Shimano guideline big-big-plus a link resulted in a very loose chain in all of the middle (running) gears.  Taking out a link helped alot (just be careful not to accidentally go big-big on the trail.)  I have also changed the rear cassette to a 12-32 and may go 12-28 next change.  A tighter gear range will result in less chain to slap.  Also, have you tightened the rear derailleur tension spring?
Physics rules!   (5500C & Animal)

RoentgenRanger

• Journeyman
  • mud, sweat and gears
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2003, 02:39:03 am »
Yep, I dropped the big ring too.  I have a 24-34 on mine w/a bash ring.  I did the big-big w/o adding one and get very little chain slap/ghost shifting.  I really don't miss the big ring, plus it's nice not having to straighten it after mistiming that big log in the trail...
'04 Santa Cruz Heckler
'03 Razorback
'93 Bontrager Race SS
'97 Custom Reynolds 853 GT Edge Road
'90? Specialized Hardrock(commuter)
'91 Trek T50 Road Tandem

Sean

are you worried about noise?
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2003, 07:48:12 am »
If so, here is a low cost alternative 8): cut open 2 old grips and wrap em around the bottom of the chainstay....then wrap it in black electrical tape.  I have the disco also and it works great... no noise at all.  good luck! ;)