Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 08, 2024, 01:19:55 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 53
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 40
Total: 40
40 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: K2 Zed 24 hard shifting  (Read 3494 times)

jpistos

• Novice
  • NC is only 10 hours away!
K2 Zed 24 hard shifting
« on: October 06, 2007, 07:20:02 am »
I bought a used 2000 model K2 Zed 24 (21 speed) for my kid.  The bike is in pretty good shape, I don't think it was used much.  One problem - it is hard for my 8 year old to twist the shifter in the more tension direction.  It has Shimano SIS f/r derailers and SRAM MRX twist shifters.  I have pulled the cables and lubed them, and adjusted the gears (that helped).  I also replaced the chain (and adjusted chain length for proper fit).  I can tell a difference between shifting on this bike and my bike (Alivio f/r derailer, SRAM MRXcomp twisters).  I checked the twist shifters w/o tension - works easily.  The cables seem to slide ok.  The derailers work easily when I pull on the cable.  One thing I've noticed is the sharp angle in the cable from the front derailer to the first cable housing (but that's only at the front) and I don't think that can be changed.  Any ideas?

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
Re: K2 Zed 24 hard shifting
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 09:07:24 am »
Only thing I can think of is to have the twisters regreased. I have not done it myself yet, but I can tell you it made a BIG difference in ease.

This was on a seven speed alivio with gripshifts.

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS