Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 01, 2024, 11:22:03 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 19
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 43
Total: 43
43 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: 5th Element question + some.....  (Read 2193 times)

ToNYC

• Apprentice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
5th Element question + some.....
« on: May 26, 2003, 02:23:27 am »
....If memory serves right, I think OP or someone has a rear 5th element on their OZ. How is it?
  And for those who has a shorter I-to-I (7.875) rear shock upgrade on their rigs, does this affect bike performance? thanks......

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
Re: 5th Element question + some.....
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2003, 04:36:02 am »
Well, I think you missed OP. He'll be gone for a few weeks... ( http://idriders.com/cgi-bin/YaBB_K2/YaBB.pl?board=news;action=display;num=1053829582 )

However, he does seem to think that his 5th Element rides incredibly well. Only downside I can think of is the weight. (It's hard to find a published weight on those things. I wish I could remember where I found one. Maybe a good search on MTBR). I seem to recall that the weight was pretty horrendous unless you're putting it on a downhill rig anyway.

As for the 7.875" rear shock, I've switched back and forth several times on two bikes, and I can't tell the difference. (My two Smartshocks were 8.25", my Risse Astro5 is 8.25", and my Stratos Helix Pro is 7.875") I like the Stratos the most, but honestly don't notice a difference in "handling" with the shorter eye-to-eye at all. Changing from a 3" fork to a 4" fork made a MUCH bigger difference.
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

ToNYC

• Apprentice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: 5th Element question + some.....
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2003, 06:06:49 am »
  Matno, thanks for the info. 'have more to consider now besides the cost ( always over $300 on ebay etc.). My smarts in the back still works but I want to make 'on-the-seat' comparisons. 'keeping an eye on any good-priced stratos helix.
 BTW, you we're right about Saxon. I was told the same so ended up going back to Blue Mtn. again yesterday. Also, I've been doing the annual 'Tour-da-Bronx' bike cruise since I got MTB baptized 3 years ago. It's around late October and free-of-charge if you wanna give it a shot. Always fun....