Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 08, 2024, 09:31:56 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 53
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 43
Total: 43
43 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Mega Air fork Q's  (Read 3445 times)

pinion

• Novice
  • A bicycle cannot stand on its own; it is two tired
Mega Air fork Q's
« on: October 04, 2007, 11:47:30 am »

Hi all,

I'm thinking about picking up a used Mega Air fork, but I'd like to find out a few things about them first.

Can any 75mm Mega Air be converted to 100mm?

How hard are they to service?  Do they use relatively easy to find standard seals and o-rings?

Are they reasonably durable?  I'm pretty light (140 lbs) and I don't do big drops.

I'd be going from a crosslink, and I'm mainly looking for a light 100mm fork that I can afford.  I have heard some good things about these.

Thanks a lot!

Frank
2001 K2 Attack 4.0
X-fusion O2-RC Shock
120mm Rockshox Psylo

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
Re: Mega Air fork Q's
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 08:43:12 pm »
Great fork but not all mega-air forks are convertable to 100mm,
you need to find out which one's you would be getting. I think if they have grease ports on the sliders then they are the model that can be set to 100mm travel.

Simon.
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 09:19:38 am »
Simon is right. Only the VTO models are extendable by removing the plastic spacers. And the grease ports were added at the same time.

What I can tell you by my experience with them is that they need regreasing at the slider bearings/bushings quite often, like once a month. Hence the ports.

And they have a tendency to leak air. Of the two I have, one holds air for one ride, the other won't hold air period. But I will have them both sorted at some point.

There is a big problem with large air slider o- rings too. Just about all of them made now are l SAE/metric compatible. Which means that the SAE tolerance has been dropped to the low end which is the metric high side. Now the o-rings are not big enough in diameter to hold pressure.

I just happened to find a pair of new/old/stock o-rings in the parts bin at an auto parts house that had some  air conditioner spares. Only way to measure is with a micrometer.

Other than that, when they are working well, they are great.

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

pinion

• Novice
  • A bicycle cannot stand on its own; it is two tired
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 08:52:45 pm »

Thanks for the feedback, guys.  It looks like the one on Ebay isn't convertible to 100mm (no lube ports that I can see).  I'm probably better off saving up for a more up to date 100mm air fork, but it's tempting to keep the fork "in the family".

Frank
2001 K2 Attack 4.0
X-fusion O2-RC Shock
120mm Rockshox Psylo