Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 10, 2024, 03:25:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 43
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 35
Total: 35
35 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: The old Proflex has still got it...  (Read 3688 times)

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
The old Proflex has still got it...
« on: September 04, 2007, 06:22:08 am »
As my '98 Proflex/K2 5000 approaches 10 years old (at least the design - my particular frame was bought new in 2000), I'm happy to report it's still going strong. A little bit looser here and there, but not in the frame. Just got back from an awesome 2 1/2 hour very technical ride here in New York with two of my best riding buddies ("best" in this case referring to their skills) on their new high end Titus and Intense frames. They were both complaining about things they don't like about their setups while I happily cleaned, dropped, and cleared all of the same obstacles without complaint!

Definitely still loving my setup, which seems to be perfectly dialed in for me, although I'll have to say that my 2001 Manitou X-vert is probably due for a replacement in the next year or so... Other than that, I love the ride! A new shock here, new tires there and this puppy just keeps on coming back for more! Just thought I'd share. I know many of you have had similar experiences.
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

Thunderchild

• Master
Re: The old Proflex has still got it...
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 06:57:05 am »
Hey Matno,
My sentiments exactly.  I recently rode a brand new Specialized ($3300) and Santa Cruz ($3000) at Lambert Park.  Here is a picture of the area.    

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/maps/Lambert-Trails-Photo-color.gif

One of the LBS takes a bunch of bikes up and lets you test ride.  After riding those impressive machines, I wondered if the old Oz would buck me off on the first bump when I got back on her.  She didn't, but I could tell she was a bit jealous.  Nice bikes, but they held no persuasion over me.  All traces of jealousy were gone after the second carved turn and rocky wash.  We rode off into the sunset...err high noon heatwave.  Not sure what it would take to get me to dismount the Oz...maybe I should get the 5000 frame down and ride it for awhile ;)

Thunderchild
Had: 953, 756
Have:
855 cracked frame
Oz
Evo frame