Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 06, 2024, 08:16:59 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 18
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 29
Total: 29
29 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Front fork on rear suspension??!?!?!!  (Read 4374 times)

GinSonic

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Front fork on rear suspension??!?!?!!
« on: June 11, 2007, 04:10:03 am »
You guys may think this is monumentally obtuse or a stroke of genius.

On my 855, I did a few measurements on the rear strut piece from the pivots atop the swingarm to the eyelets on the top tube and measured the width between the two pivots. Then I measured the width between the dropouts on the Marzocchi Bomber and length from dropout to 30mm above the stanchions.

The front fork length ended up being about 70mm longer than the rear strut assembly and the width of the dropouts were virtually the same as the width of the rear upper pivots. See where I'm going here?

I don't intend to do this. I only wish to promote a discussion on this idea. Pros? Cons? Good? Bad? Do-able? Compatible with front fork suspension? Geometry issues? Yes? No? Etc, etc! Bah. blah, blah.

Cheers!
  G.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 04:10:47 am by GinSonic »

willem

Re: Front fork on rear suspension??!?!?!!
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 04:16:53 am »
Been thinking about that. Gave up due to spacing between fork legs, and more importantly weight.

I may try something with an old Mega Air (3 lbs) for proof of concept, but just enjoying my new single speeder for now!

Lysander

• Journeyman
  • Yeah! Just shov'm in the microwave for 30 secs....
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 06:51:44 am »
I think weight's probably the main issue........so we'd need to shove some crosslinks on the back!!!

Still, Manitou had full suss frames using just this sort of setup...........course they were heavy, and famously crackable................

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 08:37:01 am »
Why not use one leg only (save weight),
may need a bolt through axle to help with flex.

Simon.
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

orange

• Administrator
  • Guru
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 09:09:00 am »
what a cool idea. I saw this on ebay today - not totally unrelated - I think they have created a completely new strut for this mod with rockshox.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Proflex-955-Very-High-Spec-Classic-World-Beater_W0QQitemZ290127515525QQihZ019QQcategoryZ33503QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

'95 855
'91 Diamond Back Topanga (project: 1st MTB)
'06 Surly Karate Monkey 29er
Custom built Edelbikes 29er #1104

GinSonic

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 04:47:19 am »
I would presume weight wouldn't be an issue for someone who would go  forth and try this out.

In regards to utilizing a single leg of a fork; Well....if one goes that route, then you might as well go with a conventional rear shock setup. Besides, I think most front forks on bikes perform different duties , but are paired up to work in unison, yes? However, a single side rear would certainly look very cool and unique to be sure. In a Cannondale Lefty or a Honda VFR'ish kinda' way.

I don't know much about the dynamics between the front sus requirements versus rear ones, but a rebuild of the forks with the proper springs and other inards would make it possible, don't you all think?

The spacing between the fork legs dropouts are virtually identical to the rear pivot width on my 855. However, that's when the dropouts are turned 180o so they are outboard as opposed to inboard. On my Marzocchi Bombers, that is.

I know other fork legs have their dropouts in the center or outwards. Be that as it may, if the width matches up, then it's possible for this to work, aside from the other things we're discussing.
  G.

GinSonic

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 05:03:14 am »
This is a little off topic, but still related to rear sus mods on our beloved Proflex's;

In regards to this mod;
Is that mounted upside down? The bottom part looks to be the top part of the OEM Proflex strut, yes? Do you think a hole was drilled and tapped on that Rock Shox for the OEM bolt to be utilized? Are most rear shocks mountable upside down without any issues?
 G.

orange

• Administrator
  • Guru
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 05:48:14 am »
Are most rear shocks mountable upside down without any issues?

My Risse's upside down - no ill effects.

'95 855

iw955

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 10:13:29 am »
Thats my bike - I was directed to this site by orange who read my add in Ebay. It is the original Proflex strut. A bolt does go through a hole drilled in the shock but it pulls on a pin which fits in the eye of the shock which has a threaded hole in it. You can not drill and tap the wall of the eye there is not enough thickness. The shock is upside down - many are - no issues. The ride height is exactly the same as original. It works really well. Lovely and smooth with adjustable preload and rebound damping. On the frame end the Rock Shox bushes are modified to mate the original spacer (turned down slightly) which fits between the frame plates.

orange

• Administrator
  • Guru
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2007, 06:39:40 pm »
Thanks for that info and welcome over - sure you want to sell??!!
'95 855

Colin

• Guru
  • in a village near Northampton, UK
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2007, 05:02:29 am »
Thats my bike - I was directed to this site by orange who read my add in Ebay. It is the original Proflex strut. A bolt does go through a hole drilled in the shock but it pulls on a pin which fits in the eye of the shock which has a threaded hole in it. You can not drill and tap the wall of the eye there is not enough thickness. The shock is upside down - many are - no issues. The ride height is exactly the same as original. It works really well. Lovely and smooth with adjustable preload and rebound damping. On the frame end the Rock Shox bushes are modified to mate the original spacer (turned down slightly) which fits between the frame plates.

IW955,
So, is the shiny bit between the shock and the strut some sort of spacer?
Col.
2001 OzM
2000 OzX
1999 x500
1999 900 Frame
1998 4000se
1998 4000
1997 957 Frame
1997 857 Frames
1997 XP-X (856)
1995/6 x55/x56 Frame
1992 962 Frame
1991 Marin Pine Mountain with a Flex Stem

jeffhop

• Guru
  • i intend to live forever......so far so good!
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2007, 09:32:06 am »
iw955, finally someone from my neck of the woods! shame your selling it though as it looks really nice and the shock mount is very neat.
an oz is for life , not just for xmas!

GinSonic

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2007, 02:13:55 am »
Well I found this;

Here's a link with a bit of info and additional pics;

http://www.firstflightbikes.com/1994_Manitou_FS.htm

Cheers.
  G.