Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 02:39:30 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 38
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 11
Total: 11
11 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: strange noises from my oz!  (Read 4405 times)

jeffhop

• Guru
  • i intend to live forever......so far so good!
strange noises from my oz!
« on: May 20, 2007, 09:20:16 pm »
took the oz over to my local trails yesterday and noticed that when climbing in the granny ring there is a cracking sound coming from the back end, its not a knock which would suggest the suspension, its a definate crack much like you get when snapping something. would i be right in thinking that its the drive side drop out working loose? ive had a look at it but it seems solid. if it is that that is the problem whats the best adhesive to use and do i wait until its fallen off before fixing it! or pull it out like a bad tooth? advice will be gratefully recieved.
an oz is for life , not just for xmas!

skoddy

• Novice
  • I'll be there with pants on!
Re: strange noises from my oz!
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 02:58:18 am »
Hi there.  Hope you don't mind a reply from  a new guy, but I just dealt with my drive-side dropout trying to leave me.  With the aid of some counseling, and some epoxy, we're a happy couple again and she's even very 'supportive' of my biking habits.
 The only problem I ran into was a result of my own incompitence and lack of patience.  The internally-routed rear D cable runs through a small straw in the swingarm, and is attached permanently at each end.  I've read that it's epoxied.  I had to 'tap' out my dropout, and in the proccess the 'straw' that the cable runs through broke about 1/4 the way up into the drop out.  Now...I'm not sure what you're *supposed* to use to re-fit the dropout, but after removing what I could of the old epoxy, I used what I had around the garage--JB Weld.  You may want to study up a bit to find if that's actually the best solution, but it's heldfor me over the past 5 rides--including moderate drops and jumps.
 As for the internal cable 'straw,' I'll deal with that when the time comes.  I've heard you can pop off the fitting at either end of the swingarm, so you may want to try that and remove the straw somehow that way before you remove the dropout. This, of course, would be the best time to come up with your own routing straw/system if the existing one does break.  
 One caution, if you do break the straw like I did, exposing the rear D cable to your repair work....don't be a yutz and slop exopy all over the place in the dropout.  Um...*theoretically*...one could accidentally coat his or her rear deraileur cable in JB weld, making it difficult for said cable to run through it's happy home in the plastic straw.  True, one could luck out and break said cable free with no ill effects, but maybe I just...I mean that person just got lucky.
 Also...don't use a blade to remove the old expoxy.  It's VERY easy to cut right into the carbon.
 The dropout thing isn't as scary as it sounds though.  The dropout insert itself is actually pretty long, and it looks as if would take some effort to ever have it pop fully out on a ride.  I think it would rather just knock around in there, which if left to do so would be detrimental to the health of your swingarm, but likley not immediatley catastrophic.  
 Good luck!

=Scott=

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 03:45:43 am »
I doubt is would be the dropout mount if you cannot see it come apart. A dab of white paint on the crack will show a crack if it is moving.

I find that the replaceable dropout insert creaks if I don't slather some blue locktite between the surfaces. Also, the rear deraillure cable ferrules creak when I am pedaling, so I grease the cables and ferrules a tad. Then there is the shock bushings. If the swingarm flexes a tad when pedaling the bushing creak also requireing grease.

Hope it is not the dropout.

Terry
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 03:46:32 am by shovelon »
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 09:20:39 am »
Loose s/arm dropout,
normally rear driveside,
sometimes front driveside,
have done rear non driveside,
quite common done a few,
I've used Devcon epoxy and araldite epoxy,
they come loose but still can be apain to get out even when very loose,you just have to keep wiggling
till it comes out,clean up and epoxy back in,
I like to clamp the wheel back in (for rear dropouts)
whilst the epoxy is setting.
Simon.
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

Colin

• Guru
  • in a village near Northampton, UK
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 03:44:36 am »
I had exactly the same noise on my 4000, took ages to track down and guess what it was?

The bushings on the NR-4 !!!!

One of them was siezed and was making a "cracking" noise when the suspension moved!

Removed, greased, replaced, sorted!

Hope it's something simple like that.

If not, I also had a nasty "cracking" noise on my XP-X and it was a cracked bottom bracket bearing cup, which only made the noise under heavy pressure when climbing in the granny ring.

Note shortened bike ownership list! Sob!
5500c - gone!
857 frame - gone!

Wifey is happier though............<grin>

Col.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 09:37:54 pm by simmonc2 »
2001 OzM
2000 OzX
1999 x500
1999 900 Frame
1998 4000se
1998 4000
1997 957 Frame
1997 857 Frames
1997 XP-X (856)
1995/6 x55/x56 Frame
1992 962 Frame
1991 Marin Pine Mountain with a Flex Stem

jeffhop

• Guru
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2007, 09:55:00 am »
thanks for the input guys, im going to try the paint (tippex!) round the joint idea first as i think thats a cracking (no pun intended) idea. ill use tippex as its quick drying and easy to get off! im really hoping its not a loose dropout as ive just managed to destroy a golf club that had a loose head on its carbon shaft  lol   and im not keen to repeat it with my baby.

jeffhop

• Guru
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2007, 04:12:24 am »
well ive tried the paint around the joint technique and im glad to report no cracking in the paint so i guess that rules out the drop out fortunately, im going to get some carbon specific grease and try that on the pivots and seatpost then give it a run out but it was noticably quieter today and all ive done was change the saddle.

Colin

• Guru
  • in a village near Northampton, UK
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2007, 06:47:44 am »
Why "carbon specific" grease?

I still think it's just a pivot or shock bushing, honestly I was amazed what a noise mine was making, I could Have sworn it was falling apart!

Col.
2001 OzM
2000 OzX
1999 x500
1999 900 Frame
1998 4000se
1998 4000
1997 957 Frame
1997 857 Frames
1997 XP-X (856)
1995/6 x55/x56 Frame
1992 962 Frame
1991 Marin Pine Mountain with a Flex Stem

jeffhop

• Guru
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2007, 09:18:16 am »
i havent yet ruled out a creaking seatpost and as i have a carbon one i thought it made sense to get some grease that i could slap on anywhere on the frame without worrying about it.

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2007, 10:53:39 am »
Oh its not unknown for the seat post insert to come loose and creak,
infact I've broken one and so has Sprucey,
had to make up a new insert I have a drawing for anyone if ever they need it.

Simon.
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

wylyman

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2007, 02:42:42 pm »
My rear derailleur cable creaks down in front of the pivot.  You might check that.  I just ignore it.
98' K2 4000 bloody red'n carbon swingarm