Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 06, 2024, 06:20:15 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 18
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 28
Total: 28
28 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Ti spring ?'s  (Read 4057 times)

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
Ti spring ?'s
« on: April 13, 2007, 07:02:50 am »
How do you figure out what the weight of the spring is....no, not how much it weighs but the spring weight designation.  similar to a NB 350 NB225 NB 300, etc spring.

Is the a chart somewhere showing the diameter of the coil spring wire converted to spring weight.

Since I have my Genesis Risse I have no need for strut style springs.  BTW for those that have a risse....is there an upper limit to how much pressure to put in there? I have about 300 in mine right now for a firm XC/street setup.

Angus.

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
Re: Ti spring ?'s
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 08:41:35 am »
From what I remember, the spring weight is measured by the amount of force to compress the spring 1 inch.

As far as upper limit on the risse, I don't know, but risse may be able to tell you. How does it feel?

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

crogthomas

• Novice
  • Proflex 656
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 09:31:06 am »
To determine the rate of a spring you can either:

1) Measure the rate by compressing it a known distance and measureing the force required to do so. Just like shovelon has said the rate is usually quoted as a lbs force required to compress it 1 inch.

2) Measure the dimensions of the spring and make some assumptions about what material it is made from and therefore guess what rate it is (or is very close to). The formula required is not complicated, but there are lots of spring calculators available on the internet that can do it for you. The difficult bit is finding the material properties.
example:
http://www.ajdesigner.com/phpspringrate/spring_rate_equation.php

Remember that progresively wound springs are a completely different boiling pot of aquatic animals since the rate varies with compression.
656 For Sale

Ade

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007, 05:36:08 am »
Risse said to put the air pressure in rear as rider weight in lbs, but I seem to remember a 300+ as maximum. I can't quite remember if it was 320 or 350, but something about it having to be built differently to take the higher pressure.

300 psi must be rock hard.

BTW my I got a genesis for the front this week (astro rear) and it rides very well. Guy on the phone was v. friendly and arrived in uk in 2 weeks. :)

Ade
550 (1990)
Doing Ironman UK for charity www.justgiving.com/adrianstewartironman

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007, 12:02:04 pm »
yeah I rode yesterday and the shock is very firm but also plush, when it needs to be...also, the bobbing was "nil".

I am going to check the pressure again. They said to set the sag to like 20/30% and maybe I was not doing that right.

I am a Risse convert, nonetheless

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2007, 01:19:13 pm »
yeah I rode yesterday and the shock is very firm but also plush, when it needs to be...also, the bobbing was "nil".

I am going to check the pressure again. They said to set the sag to like 20/30% and maybe I was not doing that right.

OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
McMahon FS

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2007, 01:22:25 pm »

I suspect that it will take some time to break-in the seals and bushing. The stiction inherent in the seals acts like some kind of  threshold damping. You can always send it back for a revalving if needed, or change the oil viscosity yourself as it is very easy.

Now beat it up some, you need not  worry about  a shock boot either, self cleaning.:-)
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
McMahon FS

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2007, 08:13:21 am »
well, if I had my reading glasses on...... I "only" filled it up to 200 thought 300 ...lol and that's where it feels best right now...at 200. so it's all good.

Kevin at Risse threw in an acu-fill adapter, but my cheapo nashbar pump is doing fine, for now. I'll need to look at the site to see how to put the acu-fill adpater on.

Terry....I don't beat things up the way i used to, ask me after I lose 25#'s and get back to where I was a couple of years ago, then maybe.

Sea Otter in my back yard this w/e. Rained a lot yesterday, did not attend or ride, windy today.

orange

• Administrator
  • Guru
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2007, 09:21:29 am »
Some pix here from Sea Otter from Retrobike. This thread started by none other than Charlie Kelly (User: Repackrider) who frequents the forum:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8483&highlight=
'95 855
'91 Diamond Back Topanga (project: 1st MTB)
'06 Surly Karate Monkey 29er
Custom built Edelbikes 29er #1104