Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 06, 2024, 08:19:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 25
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 27
Total: 27
27 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: REV-X freehub body replacement for K2 4500 ??  (Read 3710 times)

jimmychef

• Novice
  • K2 with Spinergy REV-X rims
REV-X freehub body replacement for K2 4500 ??
« on: April 05, 2007, 03:49:24 pm »
it appears possible to mount disks to my K2 4500 Proflex carbon rear swingarm using the Hammerhead but it it also possible to replace the HUB of my rims with a more compatible one as my Spinergy REV-X (also carbon) do not have the mounting points.
if not are there any clever people that can engineer a set to fit? its seems such a shame to get over the first hurdle only to hit another obsticle.

i want disks sooooo much. please help.

also i have found the hammerhead adapter for the rear but no luck yet for the front. i have the Noleen front shock and want to know if its possible as i saw a picture on some czech site but could not read it?

« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 03:55:36 pm by jimmychef »

mizunole

• Apprentice
Re: REV-X freehub body replacement for K2 4500 ??
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 08:36:53 pm »
I am not an engineer (don't even know if I spelled it right) but modifying a rear wheel to take discs is something I have not ever seen.  I am not sure what the rear hub assembly of a Rev X is, but I am sure that a wheel that is so based on torsional rigidity (again spelling?) would be very difficult to mod without weakening the spoke tension.

I guess technically you could  weld legs on a new rotor that attached to the 4 spokes but inside where the caliper hovers over the rotor.  But that has weakened the disc, weakened the spokes, weakened the hub, and even then I don't think the spacing would work.  Not to mention trying to figure out the angles of it all would have to be a very precise measurement.

I am not familiar with the hub, but there are currently 2 types of discs out there, Shimano splined  and 6 bolt standard (I think Hope used to make a 4 bolt as well).  Most connecting parts of the hub (bolt holes etc.) are actually part of the hub body itself.  Given that, I think you would have a better shot going to a machinist and having him manufacture a new hub for you (would not be cheap)

IMHO I am pretty sure this is undoable, or at the very least inadvisable my friend.

On the other hand, I think you are barking up the right tree.  This site is crazy good with mods and keeping wheels on dirt!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 08:40:19 pm by mizunole »

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 09:48:54 pm »
There have been adapters in the past to convert
a non disc hub to disc eg like this one
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=10232
however they have not always been cost effective,
putting a disc conversion adapter and disc brakes
on a carbon wheel which was not designed to run disc brakes in the first place is not something
I'd recommend (IMHO) and I'm the first to do daft things ask anyone.
get yourself a wheelset thats disc ready IMHO thats
your best bet.

Simon
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

jimmychef

• Novice
  • K2 with Spinergy REV-X rims
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 03:43:30 pm »
wow, very good to know that there are others choosing to use this "classic" bike.
also good to to know that your all prepared to give these nutty ideas the time of day without the usual forum dissmisal and following mass ridicule that you see all to often these days.
thank you for trying and or humoring me in my delusion. i think i will stick with my rims and old school brakes as its probably lighter than disk set up with new rims.
light and simple wins the day!!!