Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 01, 2024, 02:20:16 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 21
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 42
Total: 42
42 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Gear questions for a 955  (Read 2190 times)

sammydog

• Master
    • Hunter Mountainbike Association
Gear questions for a 955
« on: May 24, 2003, 04:30:04 pm »
I recently replaced my Risses Genesis with a DNM ST-8C. The DNM is slightly longer eye to eye than the risses and I have had trouble with my gears since.

The problem is that when I get the gears adjusted perfecly with the bike on a stand, I have problems when riding.

When I am peddling hard (uphill or on the flats) or travelling across rough terrain my rear gears change at will. I know this is a similar question to one asked elswhere but I have a few others and it is a different bike.

Anyone know any possible solutions. I was thinking about running the cable through an outer tube and cable tying it to the outside of the swingarm.

My other question is, is anyone running just one rear at the cranks. While riding today I noticed that I was only really using the middle one and occationally the outer ring. Didn't use thae small one at all.

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
Re: Gear questions for a 955
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2003, 07:21:01 pm »
ahaa  the dreaded ghost shifting...it may be that your cable is just very slightly too short with the new shock...may also be coincidental...common fix is to run a cable continuosly from the last frame stop through the swingarm without the two swingarm stops,and make sure you are a little generous woth the last loop into the rear d....i use ride on gore tex cables too........make the changes effortless..a tip hook on a bit of wire or something to pull your new outer through before you pull your old cable out :)
kiwi proflex rider

sammydog

• Master
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2003, 12:37:02 pm »
Thanks for that, I have just put on new outer tube, running it through the swing arm. The gears seem to work pretty good around the house and front yard. I guess the true test will be on the track later today.

sammydog

• Master
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2003, 08:20:47 pm »
Well I only had a marginal improvement on the track. When riding up hill or over bumpy terrain the bike still wants to shift by itself unless the rear cog is in high or low gear.

Any more suggestions because I have no idea.