Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 03, 2024, 06:18:58 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 51
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 20
Total: 20
20 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Crosslink, OEM or Aftermarket?  (Read 2933 times)

fz4vgq

Crosslink, OEM or Aftermarket?
« on: May 16, 2003, 12:17:47 am »
Hi Guys, I have a '97 Girvin Crosslink Pro-Carbon fork that has never been installed or used. The dealer I bought it from didn't know much about it other than it had been sitting in the shop for awhile. It was not in a box and had no instructions other than a "Tech Force" printout with vague installation instructions. The Noleen shock has a 200lb spring on it so I figure it is NOT an OEM or Aftermarket "Long" model but I can't figure out if it is an OEM or Aftermarket "Standard". According to the Tech Force sheet it matters which one it is because the stack height differs 10mm under the Upper Link Mount depending on what model it is. Is there a site which has detailed instructions on installing a Crosslink fork?
   Any help or thoughts are greatly appreciated.
                                 Thanks, fz4vgq

Old Proflexer

• Guru
Re: Crosslink, OEM or Aftermarket?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2003, 01:08:50 am »
http://k2bikes.com/tech_library/pdfs/98crosslink_manual.pdf

all aftermarkets had a little extra room available as i recall, for variability in head tube lengths of various bikes and different stack heights of assorted head sets.

does yours say 'girvin' or 'noleen'  on the legs?

OP

i see that i am now an apprentice with two stars -very impressive but what does that mean?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2003, 01:17:25 am by Old_Proflexer »
Yeah, they don't make 'em anymore - it's a classic - - -

Di.R.T.

• Journeyman
  • I like to feed the trail bunnies
    • twede's k2 site
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2003, 01:28:04 am »
For this fork, you'll want the critical measurement (distance between lower and upper crown/link mounts) to be 155mm, not 163mm (as in 1998 and later models).

I have one of these installed on my son's frame.  I could never get it setup on my large frames.
No, not that kind of bunny.  The small, furry, long-eared, pudgy nose kind.

Di.R.T.

• Journeyman
    • twede's k2 site
apprentice...
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2003, 01:29:33 am »

i see that i am now an apprentice with two stars -very impressive but what does that mean?

It means you're still as goofy as the rest of us, OP.  I think once you go over 60 or 65 posts, you move up a rank.  Reminds me of Dungeons & Dragons.  
« Last Edit: May 16, 2003, 01:29:57 am by DiRT »

fz4vgq

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2003, 01:41:02 am »
"does yours say 'girvin' or 'noleen'  on the legs? "

Girvin.

Thanks for the link OP.

It looks like the only difference between an OEM and an Aftermarket model is the Upper Link Mount? I'm thinking the OEM ULM is 10mm shorter/thinner than the Aftermarket ULM. I wish the ULM had a part# stamped in it.

Tom_A.

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2003, 05:03:11 am »
If it was never installed or used....it's aftermarket.  The OEMs ONLY came installed on bikes.

Also, Dirt is correct, the critical measurement is 155mm, not 163 for the '97 Crosslink which says "Girvin", not "Noleen".

fz4vgq

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2003, 05:07:59 am »
Thank You guys, I'm glad this forum is here and still so many Proflex/Girvin fans like you out there. fz4vgq :)

Di.R.T.

• Journeyman
    • twede's k2 site
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2003, 07:31:50 am »
The way to check for aftermarket ULM on the 97 fork is to measure the distance between the upper shock mount/bolt and the upper links.  I have both ULM's at home, and can measure them.  If memory serves, the original one is something like 20mm and the new one is 30mm.  

fz4vgq

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2003, 02:03:37 am »
    Hi Guys,  I found out a little more on the fork. It's an OEM Standard that was taken off a brand new medium 957 (why the customer wanted some other kind of fork is beyond me). The steerer tube is 221.7mm (uncut) it has the star fangled nut installed but the bearing race was removed to be put on the new fork.
    On the "Tech Force" sheet it says the "Dimension A" is 153mm for the OEM Standard. It says the "Dimension A" for the Aftermarket Standard is 163mm and you guys said it should be 155mm,  what should the dimension "A" be for the the OEM Standard? How did you guys find out about the "Dimension A" difference from what the Tech Force instructions say?
   I'm planning on installing a Ritchey WCS aheadset with a 28mm stack height on my 857 frame. Does anyone know what the stack height was on the original equipment headset installed on X57's? I want to make sure the WCS stack height isn't to high so I don't eat up valuble steerer tube space with the short OEM steerer.
   Thanks again guys, fz4vgq

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2003, 04:22:32 am »
if it's off a medium 957 it's a '97 x~link...153...155 heck do 154mm. in other words close is fine.  There is probably a *right* dimension...155 for the '97 is my guess??? they had a weird way of calculating the "Dimension A" or critical measurement (CM) for the 97 bikes in the Girvin X~Link manual...too much subtracting and adding from here to there. that little diff of one or two mm won't make a noticable differene.

hope this helps.

btw i still have my 97 Girvin manual if you need something from it...

[smiley=beer.gif]

Di.R.T.

• Journeyman
    • twede's k2 site
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2003, 04:39:09 am »
The OEM ULM has a CM of 153mm (155mm was from memory, but 2mm won't make much diff).  Using the aftermarket ULM it goes to 163mm.