Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 06, 2024, 03:44:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 25
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 83
Total: 83
83 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Mountain Cycle Fury  (Read 4159 times)

Nightowl

• Novice
  • Live and let ride!
Mountain Cycle Fury
« on: February 28, 2007, 07:52:12 pm »

Where have i seen this design before, i cant help thinking that ive seen a frame very similar looking to this. Oh yeah i remember, proflex was making about ten years ago. I kind of like it though, it makes you realize how far ahead proflex was, and how sad it is that there gone.  long live the single pivot!!!
         Matt B
95'Schwinn hardtail

orange

• Administrator
  • Guru
Re: Mountain Cycle Fury
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 01:01:06 am »
I agree, but also wasn't it based on their San Andreas (I have one!) which dates back to 1991...?
'95 855
'91 Diamond Back Topanga (project: 1st MTB)
'06 Surly Karate Monkey 29er
Custom built Edelbikes 29er #1104

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 02:21:31 am »
I am with ya. Simplicity at it's best. Coupled with Platform shock, how can you lose.
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

jimbo

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 11:03:59 am »
Had a 2005 Fury.  It is a burly ass bike.  Very solid on big hits.  
The suspension rate was too progressive so it felt harsh on small stuff.  My bike had a 5th Element coil.  That shock was not a good match for the bike.  A progressive suspension plus a shock that's progressive made the whole thing too progressive.  The seatpost mast was also too high for my liking.  

I sold the bike to my friend who immediately replaced the shock with a DHX Fox Air.  That shock is very linear so it's a better match for the frame.  He also rides very aggressively so that heavily gusseted headtube keep it in one piece.

I replaced that bike with a Cannondale Prophet.  It has a single pivot with a falling rate suspension (like the Heckler).  I switch the shock out for a RP3 with extra large air canister.  This shock is actually too linear for the Prophet in stock form.  The bike would blow throught the travel.  If I put in more air to control the excess travel the bike had to much of a on and off platform feel.  I started to add fork oil in the air canister to reduce the size of the air volume.  This allowed me to reduce the pressure so the bike was very supple over small stuff and had a progessive feel the rest of the travel.  I can control the progressiveness by changing the amount of oil.

Nightowl

• Novice
  • Live and let ride!
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 08:43:04 pm »
Had a 2005 Fury.  It is a burly ass bike.  Very solid on big hits.  
The suspension rate was too progressive so it felt harsh on small stuff.  My bike had a 5th Element coil.  That shock was not a good match for the bike.  A progressive suspension plus a shock that's progressive made the whole thing too progressive.  The seatpost mast was also too high for my liking.

I read a few reviews on this bike and most everyone that had the 5th element shock said the same thing, not a good match. i guess there selling them with swinger 3-ways also. Many people also agreed with  the seatpost mast being to high, also fairly heavy.  I guess i'll try and find a nice evo frame instead
         Matt B
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 10:15:35 am by kiwi »
95'Schwinn hardtail

jimbo

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 05:40:02 am »

I read a few reviews on this bike and most everyone that had the 5th element shock said the same thing, not a good match. i guess there selling them with swinger 3-ways also. Many people also agreed with  the seatpost mast being to high, also fairly heavy.  I guess i'll try and find a nice evo frame instead
         Matt B

The Fury is one of those love it or hate bike.  It's more like a short travel freebike or a bike for someone who weighs over 200 pounds.  I only weigh 145.  The bike is plush when you hit drops.  I know several Fury owners and they all weigh 200+ pounds.  They all love their bikes.

I read somewhere that single-pivot frame designers are going to falling rate suspensions because of improved  shock technology.  That's the reason some of these new short travel frames feel like a lot more travel.   Freeride & DH frames still need to be a rising rate.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 05:44:24 am by jimbo »

proflex252

• Master
  • TransAlp forever!
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2007, 06:46:08 am »
oh man that thing looks great!

like all proflex 5000 do
http://www.bike-sport.com/

07 Nicolai UFO ST
01 K2 Disco Monkey
98 K2 Proflex 5000
93 Proflex 853
92 Proflex 952
92 Proflex 252
95 GT Tequesta
IBS Titanium Single Speeder 24"

Ionit

• Journeyman
  • Ionit
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2007, 06:13:01 pm »
Now the only question is. "Does that Swiing arm fit on a 45-hundred ?"

proflex252

• Master
  • TransAlp forever!
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2007, 08:54:44 am »
go and get the hole fury and place it along your 4500 in your living room!
http://www.bike-sport.com/

07 Nicolai UFO ST
01 K2 Disco Monkey
98 K2 Proflex 5000
93 Proflex 853
92 Proflex 952
92 Proflex 252
95 GT Tequesta
IBS Titanium Single Speeder 24"

jimbo

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2007, 12:44:50 pm »
go and get the hole fury and place it along your 4500 in your living room!

The Fury or the bigger Sin can be had for cheap on Ebay.  Our old friend Ediscount Bike bought old inventory and is blowing them out.

Even though I didn't like the fit for me I can say the quality is outstanding and build is bullet proof.  

http://stores.ebay.com/eDiscountBike_Bike-Frames-Mountain_W0QQcolZ2QQdirZQ2d1QQfsubZ3QQftidZ2QQtZkm