Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 30, 2024, 01:14:03 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 50
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 16
Total: 16
16 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: NR1 spring  (Read 3113 times)

mizunole

• Apprentice
NR1 spring
« on: December 31, 2006, 11:12:45 pm »
I have a RS coupe deluxe with a spring diameter that seems similar to my NR1 shock.  It is a heavier spring and I am a heavier rider.  Can I swap with relative ease?  

Just a temporary fix until I get ahold of a Risse.

jeffhop

• Guru
  • i intend to live forever......so far so good!
Re: NR1 spring
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 12:39:21 am »
if it fits go for it,ive got a fox spring on my nr4 and its no problem, as long as it wont be coil bound at full compression you should be ok.
an oz is for life , not just for xmas!

mizunole

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 06:47:28 am »
Thanks for the advice.  What measurements would you do to check before changing?

Also, it looks like a pretty simple proceedure. Having not taken off or apart a shock before, are there any tips suggestions you could give me?  Or should I just go at it with a few wrenches?

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 07:46:47 am »
to releasethe spring of a shock you ussually just need to back of the preload and then the retainers just fall out.Obviously the shock will have to be  either off the bike or at least one end is completely free.As far as the spring goes it should be of similar length and similar diameter,and because of the properties of steel the wire diameter and no of winds should be similar to your existing spring.Any spring manufacturer can wind a spring for you.Just take your existing spring and tell him the rate you want in your new one.If you dont know the rate of your existing one they will be able to work that out too.
kiwi proflex rider