Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 05:12:06 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 18
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 20
Total: 20
20 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Mega-Air leaking  (Read 3275 times)

RhinoDave

• Apprentice
  • Built for comfort...not speed!
Mega-Air leaking
« on: December 22, 2006, 01:37:46 am »
I need some assistance with one of my Mega airs. I have one that I have had ongoing issues with and I have replaced the o-rings a couple of times. It's always the left leg that leaks and it only happens once in a while, usually during a ride with a lot of stutter type bumps. It's kind of ironic because I have had no issues with the other fork.  I just finished taking the leaky one apart again and after cleaning it completely and relubricating everything, it is now leaking overnight. It drops from 70 lbs to 20 lbs in one day. I'm going to take it back apart and replace the o-rings again but I was wondering if anyone has any little pearls of wisdom to keep this from leaking. The orginal o-rings had a square cross section as opposed to common o-rings which have a round cross section. Any recommendations as to size? What should I use to Lubricate the o-ring? I have used Manitou grease for both the sliders and the internals in the past but is there something better to use on the o-rings? Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
"Never waste a downhill"

Carbonman1

• Apprentice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Mega-Air leaking
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2006, 04:49:28 am »
I had this problem with my  Mega Air until I took it apart and closely examined the area(s) that seal against the inside diameter of the O-rings.  There were some moulding lines or "flash" lines that were allowing air to seep through.  I took a sharp xacto knife and carefully scraped these away.  I then used some fine sand paper to finish the work area out.  I put in new o-rings, ample grease and have had no problems since.  Hope this works for you.

RhinoDave

• Apprentice
  • Built for comfort...not speed!
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2006, 11:46:45 am »
Stopped at the hardware store today and picked up some new o-rings. I'm going to replace them tomorrow. Thanks for the tip on the inside 0-ring seating area. I'll make sure to check it closely. Wish me luck.
"Never waste a downhill"

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2006, 07:34:54 pm »
Carbon angus is your man when it comes to these forks,
hopefully he'll chip in with his words of wisdom,
I'm sure he's mentioned leaking issues regarding poorly seated top caps,

Simon.
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,