Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 30, 2024, 10:34:32 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 35
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 16
Total: 16
16 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: EVO Pivot Face Insert Loose  (Read 3157 times)

Felix

• Novice
  • 98 4000
EVO Pivot Face Insert Loose
« on: December 04, 2006, 05:25:32 am »
Hi,

I have '98 4000 that has a loose pivot face insert (the ones that go into the frame).  I can spin it and wiggle it out a bit but it won't come out without some convincing.

Does anyone know how these are inserted into the frame?  I spun it both clockwise and counterclockwise but no luck.  I was thinking that I may have to insert a punch from the other side and tap it out and then epoxy it back into the frame.  If I keep the cross bold tight this isn't a problem, but I don't like the idea of the loose fitting potentially working away at the frame.

Any thoughts/experience would be greatly appreciated.

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
Re: EVO Pivot Face Insert Loose
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 06:41:33 am »
Sounds like the clinch nut on the upper shock mount has gotten loose. Instead of punching it out, you could put a drop of red loctite, or the high strenght(green) loctite on the outside and inside of the nut, and press the nut in firmly. Loctite is liquid, and will wick right in. Should take up the slack too.
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 08:35:05 am »
Here's a link to the 98 evo PDF drawings

http://k2bikes.com/tech_library/pdfs2/98/98evoframeassembly.pdf

from what your saying am I correct in thinking the part your having problems is the pivot face insert
(illustration number 10 & part number 15064) on the drawings ???

if its is then I believe its threaded into an insert or direct into the frame and is not such an easy repair,
a trip to a local precision engineers shop may be required.

Simon.
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

Felix

• Novice
  • 98 4000
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 12:27:18 pm »
Thanks Simon.  I checked all of the drawings before and even searched this forum to find out if it was screwed in or pressed in and no luck.  

As I pointed out, if everything is together and the cross bolt is tight then there isn't a problem but I would feel better if it tight on it's own.  

Maybe your sealed conversion would provide some extra support via the through axle.  I got the CAD drawings off the site awhile back but have not committed to the project.  Might be time.

Cheers,

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 04:03:42 pm »
Are you talking about the front swingarm mount? If you are then it is a slip fit on each side of the frame, with the frame mount being hollow.  At least, that is the way my 957 is.

OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

Felix

• Novice
  • 98 4000
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 11:44:18 pm »
Hi Shovelon,

Yes I'm talking about the swingarm pivot.  Although both sides seem to be pressed in, one is tight and does not move (as it is supposed to be) and the other can be spun around and pulled out a couple of mm's.  

I suspect that they can be tapped out and re-epoxied or locktighted back in or I may just try and get some juice in the gap that is there and see if I can can secure it up without taking it out.

thanks for the help.

Felix

• Novice
  • 98 4000
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2006, 02:25:12 am »
FYI in case someone has similar problem.

I was able to gently tap these out.  They fit back in tight and should be good to go with a bit of locktite.