Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 03, 2024, 02:14:42 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 51
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 32
Total: 32
32 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Crosslink upgraded to Risse?  (Read 2934 times)

parejkoj

Crosslink upgraded to Risse?
« on: May 16, 2003, 07:30:35 am »
Hey there.  Someone else had asked (was it matno?) if anyone could post their experience with a Risse Genesis shock upgrade on a Crosslink, but he didn't hear back, so I'm reasking.

I have a '98 3000 and I'm debating whether to replace/upgrade the shock or get it rebuilt by the noleenshockservice.com folks.  A difference in 100 dollars in price, but one or the other needs to be done: I'm riding a pogostick currently, since most of the oil is gone.

Could someone post what difference they felt in this?  I want to keep the Crosslink, as I ride purely XC and like the stiffness.  As far as I know, these are my only options, as no-one where I am (Ann Arbor, MI) can do the rebuild.

Thanks!

Di.R.T.

• Journeyman
  • I like to feed the trail bunnies
    • twede's k2 site
Re: Crosslink upgraded to Risse?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2003, 07:33:44 am »
Hey, parejkoj.

Interesting...

I asked this question about a week or so ago, with no response except that Dennis might know.

I also live in Ann Arbor.

A few of us here on the K2 site are going for a ride tomorrow at Highland, meeting there at 2pm.  Interested?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2003, 07:34:09 am by DiRT »
No, not that kind of bunny.  The small, furry, long-eared, pudgy nose kind.

Oz-SUB

• Journeyman
  • Oz's rule
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2003, 07:51:43 am »
Way back on the old site last October, I mentioned that I was thinking about putting a Genesis on my XLink, and OP replyed and said It was likely that I wouldn't like it because it would be more active (pogo like).

In all the posts I've read since then, I can not remeber anyone posting re experiences re this coupling of a Risse air shock to a XLink.

My Carbon ZLink with Smart Shock worked/s really well (it's on the shelf at the moment awaiting mating with a nice frame and the disc mount mod).

If you do decide to put the Risse on, I'd be interested in your review of the ride quality.

Oz-SUB
2003 99 K2 Oz-M with USE S.U.B. Fork & Fox DHX Air rear shock
2001 98 K2 5500c (Oz) Now Son's bike
1997 Proflex 957
1992 Proflex 952
1990 KONA Explosif
1988 SARACEN Tufftrax

John Parejko

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2003, 08:04:31 am »
Di.R.T: I probably won't be there, as the fork is essentially unridable (on any thing rough) right now, because of how much it sinks.  [smiley=doh.gif]  Send me a note -- little e-mail link on the side -- and I'll let you know when it is fixed (should be a month at most, as I'm waiting for my new road bike -- Airborne Carpe Diem, currently being built at Great Lakes -- before I send parts of this one in for repairs).

How many K2 riders from Ann Arbor are there?  I thought we were a rarity!?!?  And by Highland, do you mean what I call Northeast Area park, or where?

Oz-SUB: I probably will just get it rebuilt, unless I hear from some folks that it is well worth it.  More active could be good, unless it eats away at pedalling power and steering, but I don't know.

The noleenshockservice.com folks said they had some NR-4's available for $369, which seems pretty steep to me.  I suspect I'll just have it rebuilt.  People have had good luck with their work, I hope?

thanks much

Ionit

• Journeyman
  • Ionit
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2003, 06:54:43 am »
Hey there guys. I'm a rider from windsor (across from Detroit) I've riden many trails in the southeast corner of Michgan. Including highland state recreation area.

I have the same problem with my cross link ELT's. If you find out how to resolve this problem than post it on the board. It would be a great help. my K2 smart shock sounds like it bounces as much as your shock.

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2003, 02:13:15 pm »
From what several posters on the old forum said, the Risse Genesis on the Crosslink did not work as well as they had hoped. Not nearly as plush as the SmartShocks. If your Smart is like a "pogo" I'm guessing you've blown a seal. That's how my rear SmartShock was after it blew. According to the posts I remember, the Genesis just didn't have the plushness of the coil shocks. Quite a bit of perceived stiction in fact. However, that could be due to the fact that Risse often overvalved their shocks. Advice back then was to tell Risse that you weigh about 50 lbs LESS than you actually weigh in order to get the proper valving (that was for rear shocks). I'm not sure if that's still necessary.

Anyway, that's what I remember, and I think it's accurate heresay! (I have no experience with X-links myself).
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

5500C

• Journeyman
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2003, 09:22:21 am »
I too was in your same position about wanting to keep my Crosslink but was pursuaded into selling it and buying a new slider fork.  I ended up getting a Manitou Black Elite and could never be happier!!!

It totally transformed the ride of the bike.  Much more plush and don't feel too much of a sacrifice in terms of steering.  I also upgraded the rear shock and that too was the best thing I ever did.  I sold my Crosslink for a pretty good amount on Ebay and haven't looked back.