Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 06, 2024, 11:21:02 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 25
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 54
Total: 54
54 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: New Member - Proflex Addict - First Post  (Read 3881 times)

Old School Mtn. Biker

• Novice
  • Old School is Cool
New Member - Proflex Addict - First Post
« on: November 09, 2006, 01:25:22 pm »
In 2001, I needed to borrow a mountain bike to take on an extended ride down the C&O canal with my son’s Scout Troop.  A friend let me borrow his Proflex 856 large frame with full XT package, except the crank, which was a Sugino.  It was love at first ride!!!!  A little later, I went to the LBS with the same friend to buy a bike.  There was a slightly used 9 speed Specialized Stump Jumper that my friend recommended.  I could tell that he really liked the SJ, and I bought the Proflex, so that he could get the Jumper.  Later, he wanted the Proflex back, but I was in love and told him no way.  I’ll spare you all the details, but I now own the following:

Proflex 856 (L) - 8 speed rapidfire with new (old school) crank, cassette, and SRAM chain – except for the FC-M569 crank, this all original (ODS, Girvin Fork, etc.).  I want to keep this bike as close to original as possible.
Proflex 856 (S) – 8 speed grip shift with wheels, crank, chain and cassette from the K2 4000
1998 K2 4000 (S) – this is my “donor” bike for the others – the rear Noleen shock is busted

I have more Park tools than my wife is aware of and am building a Proflex 957 (L) on a frame that I purchased on e-bay.  I’m putting a few modern components (Hollowtech II crank, 9 speed drivetrain, carbon fiber handlebars) on this bike.  

I was missing the frame ferrules for the 957, but fortunately have a friend who is a machinist.  I’m still working a few compatibility issues with the components, and recently picked up a Noleen carbon fiber front fork with a smart shock.  I don’t have any experience with the smart shock and have read mixed reviews.  I am considering a Risse air shock as a replacement.  Any advice on this from someone who’s been there, done that?

We also have 2 old school Schwinn Moabs (S and L) for my sons and a Cannondale F600 (S) for my wife.  Any advice on how to sneak bike parts into the house without my wife knowing?
Old School

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
Re: New Member - Proflex Addict - First Post
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 05:36:53 pm »
hello and welcome.There are a hundred stories like this in a sticky thread at the top of the page..
I recomend having the parts in the boot(trunk) of the car.wives never look there.
kiwi proflex rider

orange

• Administrator
  • Guru
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 06:20:05 pm »
I keep my 7 bikes (of which 3 are Proflex) in the cellar - she never goes down there...
'95 855
'91 Diamond Back Topanga (project: 1st MTB)
'06 Surly Karate Monkey 29er
Custom built Edelbikes 29er #1104

Colin

• Guru
  • in a village near Northampton, UK
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 10:00:44 pm »
I just keep mine in the garage and make sure there's lots of scary spiders! (I also occasionally report the sighting of a rat, just to keep the fear level up!)

Also, Thank god that Pro~Flex made every model of bike in either Red or Carbon.
My theory is that if the new bike is the same colour as the old one then she'll never notice the difference!

Unfortunately my theory has been comprehensively disproved as she has cottoned on to the massive extent of my collection, which she refers to as my "Pro~Flex Museum".
Murmurs of "how many bikes do you need?" and "how many can you ride?" are occasionally heard.........

Hmmm.........

Hey Old School MTBR!
Use the smartshock and make your own mind up, it's pretty cool letting people notice the red LEDs and then mention "it's a computer" , yeh right!
Get a new shock on the 4000, they're great bikes!
A small might be a bit difficult to source one for though....what is the I2I ??

2001 OzM
2000 OzX
1999 x500
1999 900 Frame
1998 4000se
1998 4000
1997 957 Frame
1997 857 Frames
1997 XP-X (856)
1995/6 x55/x56 Frame
1992 962 Frame
1991 Marin Pine Mountain with a Flex Stem

Old Proflexer

• Guru
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2006, 11:48:02 pm »
If your wife directed you to the net to look for a 12 step program for recovering ProFlexaholics -
you are definitely in the wrong place -

Most of us here suffer the same issues - you should find good support for your problems here tho'.

The biggest mistake I ever made was selling my 856 - I sure miss "Krusty" (sniff, sniff - doggonit, now I need a kleenex)

Welcome to the site -

OP
« Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 11:52:37 pm by Old_Proflexer »
Yeah, they don't make 'em anymore - it's a classic - - -

rapiddescent

• Master
  • what a ride
    • Rapid Descent Scotland
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2006, 01:31:28 am »
since I told my wife about the spiders down in the cellar - she hasn't noticed me building up a new bike.  I've got 2 proflexes and a k2 Razorback and I'm on the hunt for a new Razorback or something like it (perhaps that new Cannondale that has the old proflex dig-in geometry)

the funny thing is that we don't really get big insects/spiders here in Scotland - she just immediatly thinks of the red-backs in Perth Australia at her sisters place.

callum
rds
rapid descent scotland

K2 hardtail
Orange 5
Santa Cruz Bullit
Cube AMS R29er singlespeed
Brompton folding bike!
Kona Blast

orange

• Administrator
  • Guru
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2006, 01:42:35 am »
funny the spider theme - my wife KNOWS there are spiders down the cellar so never goes... v.useful!
'95 855
'91 Diamond Back Topanga (project: 1st MTB)
'06 Surly Karate Monkey 29er
Custom built Edelbikes 29er #1104

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2006, 02:58:23 am »

I don’t have any experience with the smart shock and have read mixed reviews.  I am considering a Risse air shock as a replacement.  Any advice on this from someone who’s been there, done that?

I would use the smartshock and use it as a base for any other shock. Mine just blew the seal and the oil is leaking out, but is has never worked better.

As far as the Risse, I just got mine back from a third revalving( I told them to valve for a 90 girl) all under the 1 year warranty. This time they discovered that a transfer port had not been drilled for the front shock.  It is working pretty smooth now, but the seal stiction is still more than I want. So I am going to test a little further, then I may remove the 5 weight fork oil and replace with 2 weight.

As far as the wife, I have no advice, as " I TOTALLY don't understand women, I just tolerate them".

Welcome!

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

Old School Mtn. Biker

• Novice
  • Old School is Cool
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2006, 01:00:23 pm »
Thanks for the warm welcome!  I have already ordered some South American spider eggs for the garage.  I don't have a cellar, but will transfer parts into the boot of my car.  Great advice.

Colin,
As far as the K2 4000 with the busted shock, the I2I is 7.5" (190mm).  I know that Risse makes a unit to fit this bike.  The frame is small and I'm not, so it's a low priority project.  Thanks for asking!

I will try the smartshock on the 957 (why not?).
Old School

Tel

• Journeyman
  • My cycling buddys
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2006, 05:24:07 am »
Hi chaps, you`ve all cocked it up, buy your wife the first proflex, then she gets interested in road bikes(??????)gives you the proflex, little boy (6) loves the single track at Bedgebury (local bike trail center) Mrs Tel then "needs" another proflex to come riding with us.
Shes so hooked on bikes she now spends ages on line looking for new toys to stick on either of the bikes!!
One of us may be sneaking about the house with new bits (spinergy spox for her road bike) but it `aint me.
Cheers tel.
P.S. if I ask nicely she even gets the spiders for me.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2006, 05:30:13 am by ALI »
Never whistle through your teeth with a mouthfull of blancmange

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2006, 01:09:45 pm »

I have more Park tools than my wife is aware of

oh that is so funny...... my wife freaks when i start talking parts/tools/clothes or bikes

i would two thumbs up the Risse rear and pass on the "smart"  if you need some ferrules i have some.. drop me a PM and I'll see how many and just send 'em.

and a warm welcome, we are a bunch of mellow guys who luv our bikes.

Jon_Prothero

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2006, 05:35:03 am »
I have resently started to do reflexology, a couple of sessions on my wifes feet per week, seems to passify her enough to accept the horrors of my addictions!