Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 07, 2024, 05:17:46 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 65
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 40
Total: 40
40 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Howdy from TX  (Read 3464 times)

micah

• Novice
    • BikeMojo - Austin Voodoo
Howdy from TX
« on: November 12, 2006, 06:03:12 pm »
New member, first post...  My wife and I had a matching pair until recently when her red 856 was stolen.  Mine was hanging on the wall at the time and was too far from the door for the easy escape the thieves needed... lucky for me.

I got back on my bike again this year after an 8 - 9 year hiatus from riding during which time I managed to gain and unbelievable 60 pounds after my active duty ended with the US Marine Corps.  This year I decided to make the necessary life style changes and managed to shave off 50.  Since the bike hung in the garage for this time, the hard parts withstood time.  Unfortunately I cannot say the same for the elastomers front and rear.  The heat in Texas managed to leave the rear elastomers in a puddle on the floor of the garage, and the front was as stiff and sticky as ever a fork could be.

Since I had lost the weight, and I planned to keep it off, I set out to get the bike on the trail again.  I decided to go air-filled front and rear and ended up with a Rock Shox Tora up front and a Risse in the rear.  The wheels are Spins 3-spoke and sport an xtr M900 8-speed cassette.  The remaining components are XT excluding only the cranks which are White Brothers.  

Today we set out to do something about my wife's "bikelessness" and ended up getting her a 2005 K2 Attack 2.0 for what I believe to be a good price.  

To be honest we planned to find a well spec'd hardtail but in the end decided to go with a decent FS platform that I can upgrade as funds allow.  Which is the perfect segue into my first question for the group.  I found the link to the SC website where shocks can be had for $99 and since the stock coil setup on her bike leave much to be desired, I was wondering if anyone could tell me with certainty which shock will be the one I need?

I found reference on another site to the size of an earlier year Attack being 6.5 inches eye to eye.  is this correct in my case?  And is there a preference as to which of the following I should select if I choose to do so?

5th Element Air for Blur XC - XS/S sized frames (6.5" eye to eye x 1.5" stroke)

Swinger air shock for Blur XC - xs/s sized frames (6.5" eye to eye x 1.5" stroke)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 03:31:40 am by micah »

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
Re: Howdy from TX
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 06:25:21 pm »
you soulda built up another proflex.....
I cant help with the shocks but i like the look of your 856
OT you dont happen to frequent this board do you??
kiwi proflex rider

micah

• Novice
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 06:36:19 pm »
you soulda built up another proflex.....
I cant help with the shocks but i like the look of your 856
OT you dont happen to frequent this board do you??

Nope, no BMW here.  heh, its not getting any easier to find parts for these.  which reminds me... anyone have a source for der. hangers for the 856?

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006, 07:07:50 pm »
there is a sticky at the top of the page re iron horse who now have the remaining part s inventory.Stock up!
kiwi proflex rider

micah

• Novice
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2006, 01:21:12 am »
sweet!  got em, and a pivot kit to go with :) Thanks!

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2006, 03:17:00 am »
Very Nice 856 there. I like the color.

Let us know how the air shock for the K2 goes.

I recieved a Swinger air from SC last month. It works amazing on my Oz.

Welcome,

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

willem

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2006, 08:49:39 am »
Howdy back from Tyler!

as we say here... "Where you at?"

That is a lovely rebuild on your 856, BTW. The SPINs look great! Are they disc compatible?

Wish I'd known you were looking... I have a bicycle over-population problem including two 856's.

While you can never have too many bikes, you can have too little storage.

Will
Semper Paratus

jimbo

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2006, 09:14:28 am »
 And is there a preference as to which of the following I should select if I choose to do so?

5th Element Air for Blur XC - XS/S sized frames (6.5" eye to eye x 1.5" stroke)

Swinger air shock for Blur XC - xs/s sized frames (6.5" eye to eye x 1.5" stroke)

Get the Swinger.  5th Element is no longer in the mtb shock business.  They continue to service existing shocks but parts or support might get scarce in the future.  

Friend just got the Swinger and he's happy with it.

micah

• Novice
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2006, 10:41:20 am »
Howdy back from Tyler!

as we say here... "Where you at?"

That is a lovely rebuild on your 856, BTW. The SPINs look great! Are they disc compatible?

Wish I'd known you were looking... I have a bicycle over-population problem including two 856's.

While you can never have too many bikes, you can have too little storage.

Will
Semper Paratus

We live in Pflugerville (just north of Austin).  She loved the 856 (as do I... people down here just don't get it :) ) and was reading over my shoulder when I read your post... "can we still take back the K2?" she says...

"hell no, I just ordered you a new rear shock!"

I went with the swinger by the way.  As for the Spins, nope not disc compatible but those things have been through a lot with me... and lasted just fine how ever much I weighed at the time.  I love the serviceability!  Not exactly light though.

Anyway, thanks for the compliments!