Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 04, 2024, 08:17:40 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 30
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 40
Total: 40
40 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Stratos Helix on Disco Monkey?  (Read 3059 times)

Sean K

Stratos Helix on Disco Monkey?
« on: May 12, 2003, 08:30:48 am »
I'm looking to move up from the NR2 that is currently on my disco monkey, and was wondering if the stratos helix pro is a good choice.  I can get it for $120 new, but want some rider feedback before I buy anything.  My budget is probably around that price, so my choices are limited.  If it makes any difference, i have a psylo xc up front (5"), i do some freeriding and the occasional DH race ( i am 130lbs).  I also ride xc, and whatever other kind of riding there is.  Any help is appreciated! :-/

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
Re: Stratos Helix on Disco Monkey?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2003, 11:30:53 am »
For that price, you won't find a better shock. Period. I highly recommend it. I ride a Helix Pro on my 5000 and I love it. At your weight, I'd recommend going with a pretty light spring (300-350 lbs). I weigh 145 and I use a 400lb spring (but I'm thinking about going to 350). Perfect for trail riding on rough stuff. Mine gives me about 5.7" of rear travel - perfect for a Psylo, IMO.

Make sure it fits your frame before you buy. If you need to get a Proflex "tail" fitted to it (which adds 1/2" to the eye to eye) that will cost you about $50 and bushings are about $7 each. I'm not sure if the Disco needs the Proflex tail. Check the archives or maybe someone will chime in who has more specific experience.
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

keen

• Journeyman
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2003, 11:40:59 am »
  I have a Helix Pro on my Way Big Disco Monkey. It has an extended tail, not the Proflex cone. If your shock doesn't have the extension you will have to send it to Stratos. Never depress a Helix w/o air it will need an overhaul. Decent shock- poor customer service.

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2003, 01:16:50 pm »
It has an extended tail, not the Proflex cone. If your shock doesn't have the extension you will have to send it to Stratos.

Yeah, that's the Proflex tail. Not sure why they call it a tail (or Proflex for that matter...), but it's definitely different from the older Proflex strut mounted shocks. What I can't figure out is that some pictures that I've seen on this forum in the past show a Helix Expert mounted upside down on a Disco frame. (i.e. with the silver preload adjuster at the top and the air valve at the bottom). I'm not sure how that worked, but I've seen the pictures. Probably wouldn't work with a Pro.
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

Redshift

• Novice
  • Going fast is fun, but it isn't required!
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2003, 06:00:14 am »
I have a Helix Pro that I refitted from a Ventana El Saltemontes to work on my Disco.  I have it mounted with the valve at the top.  The compression/lockout knob doesn't interfere at all with shock movement.

It's a pretty heavy shock though, realistically maybe not the best choice for XC riding - if you have other options.  For XC use, the stock Noleen isn't so bad.

Since it has the air assist, it works best with a light spring and has great action, the air assist will keep it from bottoming out.  Fabulous shock for aggro/freeride!

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2003, 12:24:19 am »
I'm not sure how much the NR-2 weighs, but my Helix Pro with the original spring was lighter than my SmartShock (which is certainly heavier than the NR-2). However, now that I have a MountainSpeed spring on there, I think it's considerably heavier.

Redshift

• Novice
that's interesting
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2003, 02:58:57 am »
Stratos springs are kind of famous for progressive winding.  Were you able to get a progressive MSP or is it a standard linear MSP?

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2003, 03:07:20 am »
It's linear, which is half the reason why I'm going to get another Stratos spring soon. The other half of the reason is the weight. The coils on the Mountainspeed (or maybe Eibach, but I think they're the same) are MUCH thicker.

Originally, I had a 500# Stratos spring, which wasn't giving me full travel. I switched to the 400# linear spring, which helped with the travel, but offered NO improvement in small bump compliance (which is what I really wanted). I'm thinking of going to a 350 progressive or maybe even a 400 (which should start out lighter than that). We'll see. Still have to fit it into the budget somehow. I'm a little over already!

Redshift

• Novice
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2003, 04:56:15 am »
Gotcha.   I think that my concern over the Stratos for XC use is that it is SO bouncy with the progressive spring.  I've wondered if a linear spring would make it a bit more efficient, but I haven't pursued it at all.  I use a Risse Astro for pure XC riding.

I'm running a 500# 2.4 progressive spring now, and I could be interested in your 400 linear spring if you decide on selling it in the future.

slowride

• Journeyman
  • Mmmmm... dirt!
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2003, 02:17:16 pm »

What I can't figure out is that some pictures that I've seen on this forum in the past show a Helix Expert mounted upside down on a Disco frame. (i.e. with the silver preload adjuster at the top and the air valve at the bottom). I'm not sure how that worked, but I've seen the pictures. Probably wouldn't work with a Pro.

I think that's my Monkey... It worked fine. I did have to grind off a little bit of the corner on the "tail" (it's a little squarish), but I rode in Moab with it that way, and had no problems. I like having easier access to the air valve, since mine seems to lose about 10 pounds of pressure per week when it's over 150.