Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 10, 2024, 03:28:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 43
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 60
Total: 60
60 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: I've got shift  problems! Help!  (Read 3799 times)

brad c

• Novice
  • faster! faster I say...faster!
I've got shift  problems! Help!
« on: September 29, 2006, 02:30:19 pm »
I have a 2000 k2 evo that flexes so much when I step on the gas that it starts to shift.  It doesn't actually shift, it just crunches.  Which direction is it trying to shift...larger or smaller ring?  Are there any possible causes I can check other than frame design?  If so what should I look for?  Also, if I can't solve the flexing problem, can I compensate ever so slightly with the deraileur adjustment to make the crunchity stuff stop?  By the way, if you haven't slapped a talas on your bike...do it straight away.  Rediculous improvement in stiffness and accelleration. There might still be some you can buy for a song.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 12:41:20 am by bdizo »
K2 evo, marzocchi mx comp, fsa cranks with mega exo BB, fox talas rear shock, cane creek aeroheat wheels.

Thunderchild

• Master
Re: I've got serious flex problems!! Help!!
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 03:59:12 pm »
Have you shortened any cable housing; namely the section between the front triangle and the rear swingarm?  I did this once by accident.  The bike shifted whenever the rear shock compressed.  

Thunderchild
Had: 953, 756
Have:
855 cracked frame
Oz
Evo frame

brad c

• Novice
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 05:09:50 pm »
I did recently change all the cables and housings but if anything they're longer.  However, I'll put the bike up on the stand and test that tomorrow.  I appreciate the tip.  Oh, and can you really pedal hard enough to flex the rear triangle enough to cause shifting problems?  A friend of mine told me that was the likely culprit but I just don't see putting out that much torque.  
K2 evo, marzocchi mx comp, fsa cranks with mega exo BB, fox talas rear shock, cane creek aeroheat wheels.

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 06:23:27 pm »
has it always done this or just started?I thought lateral stability and flex were opposite.
The only thing i can think of is the tourque of the swingarm pivot and or a new pivot kit
kiwi proflex rider

brad c

• Novice
Re: I've got shifting problems!! Help!!
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006, 11:56:10 pm »
Well, It's very likely that I'm using the wrong terms...as this is only my second season riding and I've got a lot to learn.  I've noticed shifting problems on the bike before but it wasn't untill recently that I noticed the problem happening consistantly, and specifically while accelerating hard.  Any tips on how to check or find the specs on those pivots?  I read the sticky about iron horse having parts, I may just order a new pivot from them just to buy stuff for my bike.  
« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 12:51:43 am by bdizo »

brad c

• Novice
Re: I've got shift  problems! Help!
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2006, 12:59:53 am »
I had another question but i just answered it myself.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 01:33:49 am by bdizo »

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2006, 03:32:03 am »
Just a few thoughts.

Check your deraileur hanger for broken or loose screws.

Check your drive side crankarm for any looseness. If you have a square taper BB, it could twist just enough to catch a tooth.

Check the slackness of your chain. A worn chain or weak derailuer spring could send your chain flopping around. I had this happen with an SRAM ESP deraillure that eventually got trashed. Went to XT and problems went away.

Good luck,

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

Colin

• Guru
  • in a village near Northampton, UK
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2006, 05:10:29 am »
Is it the front or rear that's "crunching"?
If it's the front then the crank could be loose or misaligned. or the chainset teeth are worn.
Sounds more likely to be the rear, in which case.....
It could just be that the drive components are worn.
i.e. chain, cassette, jockey wheels.
I'd check these first.
If the chain is old and has stretched then it will cause gear "jitters".
If the cassette teeth have worn then the chain will jump about and skip teeth or try to climb or drop onto another gear.
If either of these then change the cassette and chain at the same time and ensure they are compatible.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 05:11:50 am by simmonc2 »
2001 OzM
2000 OzX
1999 x500
1999 900 Frame
1998 4000se
1998 4000
1997 957 Frame
1997 857 Frames
1997 XP-X (856)
1995/6 x55/x56 Frame
1992 962 Frame
1991 Marin Pine Mountain with a Flex Stem

brad c

• Novice
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2006, 12:38:30 pm »
I only have one season on the chain/rear cassett, and the front rings have less than 200 miles on them.  I didn't think about the jockey wheels.  My last ride didn't reproduce the same shifting problems but I wasn't pushing as hard so I don't know.  I'm definately going to check my whole drivetrain.

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2006, 06:05:29 am »
yeah jockey wheels...

had an issue with a single speed that would eat up jockey wheels and then i'd jump the rear cog, or even front cog....depending on the mood of my bike.

good luck

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2006, 09:08:05 pm »
It sounds like you have new front rings?Maybe the chain alignment is slightly out and with a little bit of flex is just catching on the side of the next cog
kiwi proflex rider