Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 03:00:57 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 51
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 38
Total: 38
38 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: ELASTOMERS  (Read 4930 times)

rapiddescent

• Master
  • what a ride
    • Rapid Descent Scotland
Re: ELASTOMERS
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2006, 09:39:47 am »
I've just completed some work using 70ShoreA elastomer and have got it working on the 855/756 bikes - The key is to get the split right - I'm playing with the ratios at the moment to improve the feeling of the shock.

If you go for two equal cuts of MCU it feels too hard.  I've got a spring testing machine thing that I made to test the COR springs and the 70ShoreA is really not getting much travel.  Althought they do loosen up after a bit.  I think my old 856 MCUs did the same.

The good news is that I've got a set of COR springs to fit a non-ODS shock but it is a bit bouncy.  There is a little bit of air damping in the 855 shock but not enough...

Unfortunately, I can't match 15 GBP a set.  It doesn't make business sense selling them at cost and it's quite a bit of work to cut them squarely and drill holes for the spindle.  I was going to sell them for GBP25 to GBP29 (not decided yet) (including postage and packing)

callum
rds

rapid descent scotland

K2 hardtail
Orange 5
Santa Cruz Bullit
Cube AMS R29er singlespeed
Brompton folding bike!
Kona Blast

rapiddescent

• Master
  • what a ride
    • Rapid Descent Scotland
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2006, 09:46:19 am »
I just read back through the messages again.  I tried 90 and 80 Shore A - way too hard and does not work.

Mine are yellow!

it's really important that they are cut exactly straight otherwise the shock spindle will bend over time.

callum
rds
rapid descent scotland

K2 hardtail
Orange 5
Santa Cruz Bullit
Brompton folding bike!
Kona Blast

p856shawn

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2006, 01:34:20 pm »
They have a supplier in the US also. I've contacted them and it is about $60.00 USD for the 80 shore material. My 853 only has a rear elastomer (its a piece of pipe right now so I am riding hard tail)  and since I am 240lbs I was thinking the harder material would be about right. What is your opinion slim?

How much material for 60.00, and most importanty what is the number to conatact them at?
Proflex 856. Marazocchi Z.2 Superfly, Noleen NR coil over rear shock, LX, XT, XTR, Grip shift 600.

SLIM

• Apprentice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2006, 09:11:09 pm »
 cutting them straight is a bit awkward as the blade wants to bend with the elastomer

but i have solved that one

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2006, 10:40:18 pm »
the secret to the elastomer feel is to have two halves to the spring.I think the original springs on my 756 were seperated by 20.I dont know what the numbers referred to but the two halves were definetly different.The other thing is the elastomers were slightly different lenghts,i think the softer elastomer were slightly longer than the stiffer half.The elastomers were seperated by a large plastic washer which jad a lip to locate the elastomers.
kiwi proflex rider

rapiddescent

• Master
  • what a ride
    • Rapid Descent Scotland
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2006, 02:51:08 am »
yeah - it's easy to cut them straight with the right tools, plus, I keep mine in the freezer.

c
rapid descent scotland

K2 hardtail
Orange 5
Santa Cruz Bullit
Brompton folding bike!
Kona Blast

willcoast

• Novice
  • 856!
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2006, 05:13:45 am »
I am as well looking into a company that makes elastomer here in the US. I have sent them an e-mail stating what I am looking for. Once I get some feedback I will let you guys know.

Willie

Redliner

• Novice
  • Factory test
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2006, 04:08:38 am »
Hello guys:
I am a bit confused about the elastomers posts.
Are the SLIM elastomers the same as the original ones?
What are the differences between the SLIM elastomers, the original ones and the ones that IronHorse sells?
I was thinking to order 2 elastomers for my rear 856 ods from Tom of IronHorse. Now I am confused.
Hope to receive more info soon.
Portuguese regards to all...
Zé Diogo
Pro-Flex 856 Factory Test

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2006, 11:29:58 pm »
the original elastomers came in many different "hardnesses"
the one available from iron horse are similar but available I beleive in only one grade for the rear and a softer grade suitable only for the front.
Slim has found an elastomer supplier and is experimenting with the hardnesses now.
kiwi proflex rider