Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 09:25:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 38
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 46
Total: 46
46 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Just back from Moab...  (Read 3256 times)

slowride

• Journeyman
  • Mmmmm... dirt!
Just back from Moab...
« on: May 07, 2003, 11:18:20 am »
Well, got back yesterday. Wow, what a fun time! The main objective was to get my sister into biking, so we didn't do the tougher rides, but the mission was accomplished, and we all had a blast.

This was also the first real ride on my Monkey. My initial impression was... wow, this is different! The suspension is very effective at isolating bumps. 130mm in the front was a dream for descending... I couldn't bottom it, and I rode off 2 or 3 3-foot dropoffs. And this was without any adjustments to the fork except heavier springs! (The fork is a Manitou Sherman Flick). Also, for the first time ever, I felt I truly needed adjustable travel... kicking the Sherman down to 100mm really helped me keep the front end down while climbing. I did notice some bobbing while in the smallest ring, but it's not a big deal to me, since there isn't much extended granny-gear climbing here in Chicago.

185mm Avid discs... Wow!

Not so enthralled with my flat pedals though. I'm definitely switching back to clipless, probably the Time Z pedals (I already have Time cleats on my shoes).

I was struck by an odd desire to buy a lifted old Jeep though....

Mr.Ed

• Journeyman
Re: Just back from Moab...
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2003, 11:41:07 am »
odd desire to buy a lifted jeep????

maybe not that odd....

some similiarities....knobby tires
                         both off-roadable
                         take you " way out there"

I actually started mountian biking because four wheelin was getting too expensive.....yeah right.!!!!..bikes cost alot too...now I like both....even worse..  [smiley=laughing.gif]
oz-m,next lp,kings717's,bb7's,dhxair

Mr.Ed

• Journeyman
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2003, 11:43:35 am »
throw the mtn bike in the back of the jeep, and then when you break the jeep off road or get really stuck, you can keep going on the bike or ride out to get help !!!
oz-m,next lp,kings717's,bb7's,dhxair

slowride

• Journeyman
  • Mmmmm... dirt!
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2003, 11:56:05 am »
Only odd because of where I live (Chicago)... If I lived within a day's drive of somewhere where I could really use a serious 4x4, I'd have one in a second. As it is, I drive way too much (gas would cost a lot). And I currently can't afford a 2nd car... :)

jedoaks

• Apprentice
  • wood is good
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2003, 03:03:42 pm »
Hey Slo, sounds like you had a good time on that fork. Everybody complains about the weight of the new 5" travel forks, until they ride one. Then they see how much stiffer and smoother, there's no comparison, you forget about the weight. Especially if you're 200 plus, like me also. If you are 150 you can get by with a lighter fork. Also sounds like  another convert into the sport. Better set your sister up with a bike. Rich

Di.R.T.

• Journeyman
  • I like to feed the trail bunnies
    • twede's k2 site
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2003, 12:01:34 am »
Slowride, are you one of those cocky mormons?  Who lives and breaths next to Moab?  That taunts the rest of us who can't get into mountain bike heaven?
No, not that kind of bunny.  The small, furry, long-eared, pudgy nose kind.

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2003, 01:55:51 am »
Hey! Grand County (where Moab is) has the lowest percentage of Mormons of any county in Utah (only 23%). That means there are only about 2000 of them in the entire county, and most of them don't live in Moab itself. During tourist season, I bet there are more French and Germans in Moab on any given day than there are Mormons (literally). In fact, there are so many people in Moab who aren't FROM Utah that it's too crowded during the peak riding season. (Of course, you can still have fun, you just have to watch out for a lot of other riders). On the other hand, I lived in Utah for 11 years and I never biked in Moab! (I know, it's sad). But I did go deer hunting there several times. Beautiful scenery in the mountains above the desert. Nice trails too if you know where to find them...

I sure wish I could be there right now. I've only got one med school test to go (tomorrow) before I'm free to... study some more for my first round of board exams! :(
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

slowride

• Journeyman
  • Mmmmm... dirt!
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2003, 02:22:08 am »
LOL... I'm about the furthest thing from a cocky Mormon... :)

No, this was my first trip to Moab. I live in Chicago.

It was indeed very crowded there. Based on the amount of people camping, I'd say 99% of them were from out of town, too.

Rich, the weight is definitely worth it. It's just a different feeling. I did build a bike for my sister, a Jamis Eureka. I have a picture around here somewhere...

Di.R.T.

• Journeyman
    • twede's k2 site
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2003, 06:39:11 am »
LOL... I'm about the furthest thing from a cocky Mormon...

Oh, okay.  I got confused between you and thunderchild.  And mormons aren't really cocky.  I just say that because they do live in mtb heaven.

Oz-SUB

• Journeyman
  • Oz's rule
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2003, 06:56:16 am »
Hey! Grand County (where Moab is) has the lowest percentage of Mormons of any county in Utah (only 23%).

Matno, I recon your a jack Mormon and guessing you have been on a Mission, and now left the 10%ers.
2003 99 K2 Oz-M with USE S.U.B. Fork & Fox DHX Air rear shock
2001 98 K2 5500c (Oz) Now Son's bike
1997 Proflex 957
1992 Proflex 952
1990 KONA Explosif
1988 SARACEN Tufftrax

numbnuts

• Master
  • no problem
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2003, 10:18:05 am »
Slowride,

You obviously love that Sherman but how effective is the travel adjustment? I have seen a lot of complaints that it just is not enough of a change so doesn't help climbing as much as the ETA or Psylo. does the bike feel like a chopper or is it comfortable when going up [I know it's OK going down!!]

slowride

• Journeyman
  • Mmmmm... dirt!
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2003, 01:36:36 pm »
I actually thought it was very effective. On one of the rides, I was using my granny ring and with the fork in full travel mode, I was fighting to keep the front wheel on the ground. But when I switched it to the shorter travel, I pretty much was able to focus on the burning in my legs exclusively.

But this may also be because of me being used to climbing with around 100mm of travel in the front (my last fork was a Black with 110/80 adjustable travel, and I never adjusted the travel).

I should also mention that for anything but extended climbing, like I was doing in Moab, I would have left the fork at full travel. Here in Chicago, it's more quick up and downs, vs a long climb followed by a long descent.

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2003, 03:24:01 pm »
Matno, I recon your a jack Mormon and guessing you have been on a Mission, and now left the 10%ers.

;D That's funny. Actually, I'm the full-blown thing. The only way your description applies to me is that for the last few years of school, I haven't had an income, and 10% of nothing is...nothing. Of course, that will change once I graduate. Wouldn't want to give up my benefits!  8)

(The mission wasn't too bad. I got to ride a bike most of the time - even on trails in the mountains for a while. Only problem was that most of the time I had to wear a suit while riding!)

I would love to try one of those Shermans. My brother in law took one to St. George a few weeks ago, and he said it was just plain awesome on the downhill. He did think it was a bit much on the climbs though.

As for mountain bike heaven, Utah really is "the right place." Not just Moab. There are incredible trails all over the place. I highly recommend the Alpine Loop (near Sundance ski resort) for a trail system that will blow you away with scenery and technical fun. More miles of trail than I can remember too, and not very crowded.
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

Di.R.T.

• Journeyman
    • twede's k2 site
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2003, 01:31:21 am »

;D That's funny. Actually, I'm the full-blown thing. The only way your description applies to me is that for the last few years of school, I haven't had an income, and 10% of nothing is...nothing. Of course, that will change once I graduate. Wouldn't want to give up my benefits!  8)

There was an article in some newspaper recently showing that Utah is the most generous state, according to IRS reports of charitable donations. They're donating something like 12% of their income to IRS approved charities, etc.  Pretty un-cocky, I guess.

I wish they'd donate part of Moab to us feeble midwesterners that have nothing but muddy rolling hills.  We could trade with some of our excess water.