Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 09, 2024, 01:16:34 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 62
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 60
Total: 60
60 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Newbie here with some ?'s  (Read 3725 times)

88turboaccord

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Newbie here with some ?'s
« on: April 22, 2003, 09:16:04 am »
I know "Search, search, search...

Well I just recently got back into riding again--been about 5 yrs.  I started with a proflex 454, broke that frame, then went to an 856--put a lot of money into it, it got stolen, so I dropped out.  I just bought an evo 3000 frame and pretty much just threw it together so I can ride again.  Well now it is time to start changing things.

First off, I want to change the Rear shock---suggestions?
Can the rear swing arm be changed to the carbon one?

The mods I am probobly going to do in the next month or two are:
Disc brake set-up (also new rims/hubs)
easton carbon seatpost
easton carbon handlebar
better shifters, probobly the xtr pods--Mine suck
new stem--dunno which one yet, but want a lighter one.
I am also going to change the crank, don't know what I should go with though.  I have been out of the loop for almost 5 yrs.  So everything I know is old and out of style.

I just ordered my clipless pedals-- so those should be in shortly.

anything else I should know about?

rapiddescent

• Master
  • what a ride
    • Rapid Descent Scotland
Re: Newbie here with some ?'s
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2003, 11:38:34 am »
cranks,stem,bars, rear shock -look fine.

in fact, the only thing I would change woulkd be the forks.  I'd change them for some long travel Marzocchis.  I am not a fan of the chubbies.  I put custom springs inside my old pair to make them better.

Disk brakes are nice, but you'd need adapters front (with those forks) and rear, new wheels built disk brake hubs, disk brakes and possibly new shifters (if they are the integrated jobs).

i.e. quite a lot of work when a brake booster and better pads could do the job.

callum
rdi
rapid descent scotland

K2 hardtail
Orange 5
Santa Cruz Bullit
Cube AMS R29er singlespeed
Brompton folding bike!
Kona Blast

bikendan

• Journeyman
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2003, 06:35:02 pm »
the carbon swingarm doesn't have disc tabs. i'm not sure if yours does, since i can't see the other side. you won't get any benefits for the extra money. you must have a med. or small frame by the way the upper shock mount is. that will limit your choices some. a direct fit is made by stratos and risse. some have put fox shocks in, but only those without the reservoir.
it would also help if you told us what type of riding are you doing. xc, trail, freeride ????

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2003, 12:36:21 am »
I want to change the Rear shock---suggestions?

Stratos Helix Pro/Expert or Risse Astro-5. I have both and they are both great shocks. The Risse is quite a bit lighter, while I think the Stratos is a little smoother in the rough stuff.
Can the rear swing arm be changed to the carbon one?
Possibly (although I don't actually think they're the same as your model), but you really don't want to. The only benefit you'd get is the look. According to one K2 employee who posts here occasionally, he wouldn't even ride a carbon swingarm! I believe the aluminum is also a bit stiffer. I've got carbon and it does flex quite a bit.
The mods I am probobly going to do in the next month or two are:
Disc brake set-up (also new rims/hubs)
easton carbon seatpost
easton carbon handlebar
better shifters, probobly the xtr pods--Mine suck
new stem--dunno which one yet, but want a lighter one.
I am also going to change the crank, don't know what I should go with though.  
I just ordered my clipless pedals-- so those should be in shortly.

Disc brakes: I love my Avids. Easy to set up and cheap. Not super light though. Does your frame have disc tabs on the swingarm?
Easton carbon bits: big thumbs up on those!
XTR pods: a little pricey, but they are the best, assuming you want to change from gripshift to rapidfire. I personally prefer rapidfire, but this board seems to be dominated by twisters... XT's are quite a bit cheaper and almost as good. I've been using mine for 3 years now and they're still flawless.
Stem: lots of options there. The stem you have doesn't look particularly heavy. What kind is it? I recommend the Kore Lite Forged stem from Supergo. Very light and very strong. Also very cheap - a rare combination.
Cranks: I always recommend Shimano LX as the best bang for buck. However, they've just changed them so that they're no longer compatible with the ES-70 (XT) bottom bracket, so you'll need to either get the new (lower quality) ES-51 BB or the older cranks (M571) which are still available just about everywhere. (See my post here for more details: http://idriders.com/cgi-bin/YaBB_K2/YaBB.pl?board=news;action=display;num=1049733333 )
Anything else I should know about?

Get a new fork. I love my 2 X-verts, but there are a ton of great choices in the 4-5" range. You won't regret it, I guarantee it.
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

Tom_A.

Re: Swingarm
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2003, 04:35:35 am »
The aluminum swingarm is actually stiffer and weighs no more than the carbon swingarm.  No advantage to going to carbon there besides aesthetics (which is debatable....I like the look of the Al).

Also, it looks like your 3000 is a '99 model.  This means the swingarm pivots are actually bearings, not bushings.  I'm not sure if a carbon swingarm can be retrofitted to the newer bearings.....Advantage, aluminum (most likely).

All of the aluminum swingarms have tapped and threaded holes on the left dropout to mount a disc adapter available from K2.  The carbon will need a hammerhead adapter or something else.  Plus...the aluminum swingarm has hydraulic cable guides.  Advantage, Aluminum.

My advice....don't bother with the carbon swingarm.  If you want to do it for the look, have it custom painted to look like carbon fiber  ;D

Tom A.

88turboaccord

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2003, 05:24:18 am »
Thanks for the advice guys.  Like I said, I used to race XC and DH about 5 yrs ago.  Things were a little different then.  I would like to use this bike for about the same, not racing though, just the occasional outting...

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2003, 05:25:19 am »
are those standard length crank arms ??? they look looonnnggg in the photo.

i wouldn't put the money into a carbon swingarm or that would be the last thing i'd do.

other areas have been discussed...you will love the easton carbon bar, and a new crankset like 2002 shimano LX splined.

lamolamont

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2003, 01:37:35 pm »
hey. this is tom (I sold you this bike) how do you like it ? it looks great. check out the picture in the gallery (lamolamont). now that i see it , i kind of miss it.well, take care of her and i'm sure she'll love you back.

88turboaccord

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2003, 07:08:22 am »
It is working out okay.  Some things have to be changes, some things are on the heavy side.  What cranks where those.

lokomonkey

• Apprentice
  • vencer o morir!
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2003, 08:13:00 am »
I ride a disco monkey (same frame) and the first changes I would do (for an all around bike) would be the suspencion, I have a Vanilla R (since I couldnt fit and rc) with extended travel (2.something") wich gives you +- 5 inches in the back + a psylo sl fork (always full extended to the 5 inches tavel- I only use the lock out for climbs) that gives you an excellent ride (up and down) also shorten the stem 50mm, with an azonic 2" riser bar 26" wide, also flat pedals and bigger wheels ( mine are xt hubs,lace to rhyno xl, and 2.25 rear tire/2.5 front)

lamolamont

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2003, 02:07:45 pm »
they are TOPLINE cranks. some of the lighest cranks that you can get.i have another pair on my zaskar.