Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 12, 2024, 09:15:14 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 23
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 36
Total: 36
36 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Offered bike spec  (Read 2549 times)

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
Offered bike spec
« on: September 08, 2005, 09:16:53 am »
I unfamiliar with these products and would value any comments,
what do you think of the following spec's if they where offered on a bike.

All SRAM, RockShox, Avid & Truvativ are 2006 spec products not yet on retail sale. (due October 2005)

Spec as follows (depending upon particular bike as forks may differ, preferences can be given)

2006 Rockshox Pike Air or Coil 140mm Maxle system.  (your choice)

2006 RockShox Ario (air) Lockout rear shock. (with tuned shim stack)

2006 SRAM X.0. Rear Mech & Trigger shifters.

2006 Avid Juicy 7 Disc Brakes

2006 Truvativ Stylo GXP crankset (New Type External Bearings)

2006 SRAM Alloy spider cassette.

2006 Truvativ Team Alloy bars stem & seatpost.

Flite Titanium saddle

Hope headset

ODI Lock on grips

Bontrager Big Earl wheelset. (the better one using DT Swiss hubs)

Continental Tyres.

I know most or all of this is 06 stuff and may not be out yet but someone may know or heard something regarding these components.

Simon.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2005, 10:05:38 am by Simon »
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
Re: Offered bike spec
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 02:42:16 pm »

2006 Rockshox Pike Air or Coil 140mm Maxle system.  (your choice)
2006 RockShox Ario (air) Lockout rear shock. (with tuned shim stack)
No idea. Haven't ridden RockShox in years.

2006 SRAM X.0. Rear Mech & Trigger shifters.
I've heard good things about their rebuildability. All XO stuff so far is nice, and the carbon on these ones looks cool. SRAM triggers seem to be quite popular

2006 Avid Juicy 7 Disc Brakes
I doubt they're changing much this year. Avid tends to make very minor changes. I've heard vague reports of reliability problems, but everybody I know who has them loves them. I think the current ones feel better than anything I've ever tried.

2006 Truvativ Stylo GXP crankset (New Type External Bearings)
I'll only ride Shimano chainrings until somebody else comes out with something that shifts as well as Shimano does...

2006 SRAM Alloy spider cassette.
no clue.

2006 Truvativ Team Alloy bars stem & seatpost.
hard to go wrong with an alloy bar. If it fits you and has the right shape, it should be fine

Flite Titanium saddle
Hasn't changed in 20 years. Still the most popular saddle of all time. I liked mine.

Hope headset
have they made these before? I've never heard of them, but far as I know, all Hope stuff is bling.

ODI Lock on grips
I like mine. However, I wouldn't use them with twist shifters without gloves. That's how I have them set up, and on bare hands, the mounting rings/bolts can be kind of sharp.

Bontrager Big Earl wheelset. (the better one using DT Swiss hubs)
Bontrager can be good or bad. Don't know about the Big Earls...

Continental Tyres.
Any particular model? I'd say get the Vertical ProTection 2.3's. They're an incredible tyre. And they're a lot cheaper in Europe than in the USA!

I'm sure others have more feedback than I do...

K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

numbnuts

• Master
  • no problem
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2005, 06:01:07 am »
odi lock-ons are excellent, i thought the price was too high at first and didn't buy until i found some on sale, i bought another set a week or too after i put em on for my other bike.I agree with Matno, they could be rough on bare hands but i always ride with gloves.

I saw the pike forks up close on a demo Titus but didn't get to ride. they seem stiff enough with the big axle and are well light. I figure if the Titus people like them they must be OK.

Can't go wrong with sram but i would use x9 cos Ive heard it's more durable and cheaper.

Juicy is supposed to be the easiest hydro brake to set up and adjust

never had a problem with truvativ  stuff ,the
chainrings- they shift fine

ditto Matno's comments re the saddle,wheels etc.

i used to love my Bontrager mustangs and i like their tubeless system but never heard of big earl

jeffhop

• Guru
  • i intend to live forever......so far so good!
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2005, 05:43:16 pm »
am i the only person that has broken his arse on a flite ti?  i had one on a cannondale and it killed me!! also am i right in thinking that a sram xo rear mech is £140?? ok it looks cool in its skelatel carbon form  but  £140!!!  bit much,  hope ? the best, forget chris king. odi lockon`s are also the best grips (club roost do a very similar grip for a bit less money) truvativ bars stems and seatposts are in my opinion, heavy, try BBB the carbon bars, post and stem are very light, i use the carbon bars and they are very stiff and extremely light
an oz is for life , not just for xmas!