Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 09, 2024, 03:16:42 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 62
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 36
Total: 36
36 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Greatest rides out but have to return home early  (Read 2605 times)

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
Greatest rides out but have to return home early
« on: August 11, 2005, 08:30:34 am »
We've just been on holiday and enjoying the greatest trails we've ever experianced,
however we've had to return early due to the very sad passing of my mother in law,terrible it still hits home hard even when you've been expecting it,its a very sad household at the moment.

anyway up until this tragedy we were having a great time,firstly the trails were awesome,
we were staying in the Afan Forest Wales and booked into Bryn Bettws Log Cabins www.brynbettwslogcabins.co.uk and this was the first suprise,firstly they mainly cater for cyclists, each cabin has a lockable bike store with a bike washdown,they only have 4 cabins but they are making a games room,a BBQ area,and next year a practice jump area, and this place was cheap (well compared to other holiday accommadation),
obviously we haven't got to many pictures but I've uploaded some of what we have,
anyway the trails,bloody hell these made the old bottom cheeks really clench,fast narrow trails,lots of bumps,lots of rocks, slate,railed berms,180 deg turns etc this was our first experiance of the last downhill section on a trail called the Wall,we were based at the top of this section so the first part of any trail we tried was this,doesn't sound to scary until you realise the trail is right next to a very near vertical drop which goes on as far as the eye can see with pine trees growing up from this at very acute angle,all very scary but still we rode it every day,well it was the quickest route to the Afan forest centre :P,
we got to ride both rides at the forest,one the wall 23km the other I can't remember the name (couldn't pronounce it if I tried) also 23km,rode both same day one after the other,both have incredible climbs, decents,just about anything you could wish for but in this day and age I'm suprised it doesn't come with a government health warning,there's so many near vertical drops right next to you on so many occasions and some decents took an age that your hovering over the saddle so long your legs and wrists ache so much your nearly wishing the decent to end :oanyway there's to much to explain here but you get the picture,
sadly events over took the fun,more important things to do now but we will be going back.
checkout http://www.afanforestpark.co.uk/

The log cabin

the pictures really don't do the trails justice but it was awsome.
Simon    
« Last Edit: August 13, 2005, 09:01:15 pm by Simon »
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

Sprucey

• Journeyman
Re: Greatest rides out but have to return home ear
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2005, 09:55:27 am »
Hi Simon,

I told you that you would like it! ;-)

Sprucey

K2perv

• Novice
  • proflex forever!
    • check out my gallery!
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2005, 06:47:04 pm »
condolences, simon.  that place looks like heaven!  i'm coming over from the colonies to take a ride or three.

........................anthony.
risse shock, raceface deusXC crankset, sram xo derailleur, xo shifters, avid blackops levers, xtr brakes, thomson stem/seatpost, bontrager racexlite wheelset, easton ec70 bar, time atac titan pedals

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2005, 05:01:52 pm »
nice pics and places, Simon

sorry to here about your mum-in-law

going home sometimes sucks even on the "regular" rides, too!  :'(

:D

[smiley=beer.gif]
« Last Edit: August 14, 2005, 05:04:19 pm by carbon_angus »

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2005, 05:09:41 pm »
Nice indeed, but not a way to end a ride. Sorry to hear of the bad news.

My thoughts and prayers,
Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS