Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 08, 2024, 09:32:12 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 53
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 47
Total: 47
47 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: carbon frame problem.  (Read 2786 times)

K2perv

• Novice
  • proflex forever!
    • check out my gallery!
carbon frame problem.
« on: August 03, 2005, 02:28:33 am »
first of all it was great to find this forum!  i've always loved my K2 to distraction and now know that there are far worse crazies out there...

so i bought an OZ frame on ebay and it arrived with something loose shaking around inside the frame.  the seller wouldn't take it back but said it must have happened in shipping and sent me the insurance slip.  should i try for the insurance or do you carbon pros think that i could safely drill a small hole in the frame so as to introduce some epoxy that would 'capture' the loose piece?  any thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated!

by the way, i couldn't wait around with no bike so i rebuilt my 5000 frame.  check it out on my gallery!

....................................anthony.
risse shock, raceface deusXC crankset, sram xo derailleur, xo shifters, avid blackops levers, xtr brakes, thomson stem/seatpost, bontrager racexlite wheelset, easton ec70 bar, time atac titan pedals

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
Re: carbon frame problem.
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2005, 05:17:51 am »
Its probabaly something left over from the manufacturing process so nothing to worry about,
you should be able to get the item out as the Oz has a
large machined hole in the headstock tube,if it won't come out here you can still put some bonding agent down there to catch the item,
if you don't have this large hole you have a 4500/5500 frame not an Oz,
my 4500 frame when I first stripped it bare had water within the main frame and no matter what position I put it in it wouldn't run out,
I drilled 2 small holes at base of the frame (lowest B/B area) either side of the centre ridge,this let the water out and has had no ill effects over the 6yrs I've owned it.
Simon.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2005, 05:19:31 am by Simon »
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

Frankd3000

• Master
  • It's a ground-to-air missile!
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2005, 09:34:16 am »
first of all it was great to find this forum!  i've always loved my K2 to distraction and now know that there are far worse crazies out there...

Heeeeey, I resemble that comment! [smiley=laughing.gif] That's okay, i'll take it as a compliment. [smiley=nod.gif]

Oh, and about that comment in your gallery - you love us, and you know it. ;)

Ditto what Simon said. I remember reading that a couple of times now.
Andrew
'98 K2/ProFlex 3000
Working on ... too many things at once.
Link to my Gallery

Ionit

• Journeyman
  • Ionit
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2005, 11:31:15 am »
I have the same sound coming from within my 4500 frame. The only difference is I made it a human propelled maraca all on my own while drilling the water bottle mounts off. What was suggested to me by a LBS was to use spray foam. It is light and will expand in the frame surrounding the invasive object. You can tip the frame to have the maraca bean fall to the Head tub and spray some foam in there.

Simon, I have a 98 4500 and it does have holes about half inch dia in the centre of the head tube about 2 inches down (perfect for extracting or inserting split peas or white garbanzos).

Rattle on partner.

K2perv

• Novice
  • proflex forever!
    • check out my gallery!
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2005, 02:12:26 pm »
thanks, guys.  nice to not have to worry about reduced frame strength.  that expanding foam idea is great!  sounds like an easy save for a REALLY annoying noise.  
this frame (okay, so not an OZ) has no holes in the head tube (or seat tube or bb), so i'll have to drill a small one or two in the frame.  does anyone know what the center carbon section looks like?  is it solid, or are there hole in it?

............................ant.
risse shock, raceface deusXC crankset, sram xo derailleur, xo shifters, avid blackops levers, xtr brakes, thomson stem/seatpost, bontrager racexlite wheelset, easton ec70 bar, time atac titan pedals

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2005, 04:05:49 am »
Have a look here,should answer all your questions,
http://idriders.com/proflex/files/carbon_tech_sheet.pdf
Simon.
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

Sprucey

• Journeyman
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2005, 10:21:53 am »
I have a rivet which I drilled out when replacing the cable guides for hydraulic hose ones - it's my rattle and it's very distinctive! When I can be bothered to drop the fork out I wil shake it out from the gaps either side of the centre spine in the head tube area.

Whilst learning to love the rivet rattle I know have much more serious squeaks to isolate and sort out - more on that later.

Sprucey