Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 07, 2024, 03:26:27 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 27
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 51
Total: 51
51 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: How does the Astro fair  (Read 2739 times)

Ionit

• Journeyman
  • Ionit
How does the Astro fair
« on: July 30, 2005, 03:32:20 pm »
To whom ever has a Risse Astro. How does this shock perform on a x-link. Is it reliable, can you perform your own service? Can you tune it and does it work in all weather conditions hot and brutally cold temp.

K2perv

• Novice
  • proflex forever!
    • check out my gallery!
Re: How does the Astro fair
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2005, 08:25:25 am »
i've got one and i think it is great!  i've used it in brutally hot (103 F) temps but not cold, so i can't say as to that, nor have i owned it long enough to need to rebuild it.  the risseracing website should have more info on the rebuild.  oh, and the adjustment lever works nicely as well.
risse shock, raceface deusXC crankset, sram xo derailleur, xo shifters, avid blackops levers, xtr brakes, thomson stem/seatpost, bontrager racexlite wheelset, easton ec70 bar, time atac titan pedals

Dennis

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
    • phatphysics.com
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2005, 08:37:30 am »
the astro is a great shock. I've been using mine on the rear now for about 3 years and its been super reliable.

However, as far as I know, the genesis is the only risse that works on the xlink. the lever on the astro won't allow it to fit on the xlink. I looked into this a few years ago, and found the genesis was the shock to use on the xlink. a number of other of members of this forum will tell you that also.

of course, you could just contact risse to find out.

[smiley=groucho.gif]
K2 Oz - Blue Crush
Giant MCM Team carbon HT - Momentum
Peugeot PX 10E - 1969
Trek 930 (tourer) - Valkyrie
Calfee Luna Pro - photon
gallery- http://idriders.com/cgi-bin/album_k2.pl?album=Dennis

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2005, 08:58:13 am »
I've been told the same thing. The Genesis is the only one that works with those forks. My rear Astro5 is awesome though. Great shock, great reliability, great adjustability. Somethings about it can be serviced at home (see Risse's website for instructions), but others need to be sent in for rebuild. I'm not sure which seals are which. Someone here had to send their's in (Simon? Was that you?)

As for temps, mine works fine in freezing temps as well as burning hot. Never noticed much difference. Certainly not like elastomer shocks I've used, which are mushy when it's hot and rock solid when the mercury goes below freezing (or even close to it).
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2005, 09:21:54 am »
Yep that was me,
mine blew a seal in the air chamber which allowed damping fluid to bleed into the air chamber (somehow),
anyway when I stripped the shock I found to be able to do a complete overhaul a special tool would be required to undo the air chamber nut,as I needed the overhaul done quickly I had CVI do it,also the cost of an overhaul kit for me to fit against having CVI was not so great plus you get another years warranty,
though at present I'm not using the Astro5 I have to agree that its an excellent shock and I'm sure I was just unlucky,it was out of its warranty and to be honest it was still performing very well.
Simon.
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

Ionit

• Journeyman
  • Ionit
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2005, 02:19:19 pm »
Thanks for the help. How are the adjustments (damping, rebound) on the Genisis. Do they work the same way.

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2005, 03:05:23 pm »
No adjustments on the Genesis. If you want them changed, you send it back to Risse for a revalving. If you order new, they'll ask you what bike you're using it on, how much you weigh, and probably what type of rider you are. Not ideal, but certainly the lightest option for the X-link forks.
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

jinder

• Master
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2005, 02:22:20 pm »
I love mine Alex.  Its a excellent shock - I couldnt ever ride my bike without it.  Of course I am using mine in the rear but if you could ram it in the X-links I can't see it a bad thing.  I never seen one in the front fork though...might be a big time custom job?

The Genesis is what I am running in the front and its killer.  I have no issues with them at all. The damping is excellent - just prefect for me anyways.

Risse make stunning shocks.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2005, 02:29:48 pm by jinder »
Beast