Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 06, 2024, 09:29:20 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 25
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 66
Total: 66
66 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Suspension upgrade on 856?  (Read 3153 times)

Thom Loubet

Suspension upgrade on 856?
« on: July 21, 2005, 08:48:19 am »
I love my 1998 856, but it spits me over the bars all the time.  It just flips forward at the slightest provocation like a catapult.  Would it work and/or help to replace the original noleen fork (with its backwards dropouts) with some standard fork, or would that screw up all the ergonomics of the bike?  Is the problem the head angle and not the forks?
Second question, what about upgrading the rear suspension? Anyone have a thought of how to get rebound adjustment without spending too much?
Thanks
-Thom

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
Re: Suspension upgrade on 856?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2005, 09:26:48 am »
This sounds very odd,
the 856 is not noted for this trait,the 856 head angle is pretty standard,
though the fork dropouts face backwards as the fork compresses the J path action of the forks swing the dropouts forward and up,
I'm wondering as to wheather your forks are set with a too soft a spring rate ???
no standard tele forks won't mess up the geometry or the ergonomics of the bike, but personally I wouldn't exceed 100mm travel though I believe some are happy running 120mm,
you won't get rebound adjustment on the ODS unit unless you change the oil viscosity eg thicker (slower) thinner (faster) but this also alters the compression damping,cheapest option though,other than that its a replacement damper eg Risse.
Simon.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2005, 09:48:05 am by Simon »
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2005, 12:14:51 pm »
Yep, I agree with Simon. I run a long travel (5 and 6 inches) on my strutless K2s. But on my 957 (and your 856) I would not run anything over 4 inches. 3 inches is pretty good if it is quality travel.

In great shape the 856 is fast, light, and agile. Worth fixing up.

Terry
« Last Edit: July 21, 2005, 12:16:47 pm by shovelon »
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

Sprucey

• Journeyman
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2005, 09:14:02 pm »
I had the same problem on my old Vectors with my medium 856 - I went over the front A LOT on steep technical descents.

Partly due to slightly shorter frame and partly due to lack of travel in the Vectors.

Simon is alos right regarding a fork that may be too soft - in this case the front wheel tucks under but this is normally more evident on cornering.

I fitted a marzocchi Flylight Z3 air 100mm (now called the MXComp). It lifted the front end of the bike and changed it into a great perfomer. I used a 20mm-30mm shorter stem which helped keep the steering sharp (120mm ish doen to 90/100mm)

I woudn't go taller than 100mm as I think it will start to upset the geometry.

Sprucey

Thom Loubet

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2005, 04:41:57 pm »
Thanks so much everyone.  I went with the Marz MX comp 85 mm (so as not to screw with geometry too much as per your instructions).  I think it'll help quite a bit.

On the second question, how big a deal is it to put a Risse on the back end?
-T

rapiddescent

• Master
  • what a ride
    • Rapid Descent Scotland
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2005, 08:37:12 am »
I'm surprised no one mentioned the age - old J-Path settings for the vector ii's?  The forks have 2 eccentic cams which can be adjusted to make a straighter travel path.  i.e. not the famous J-path.

All you have to do is to rotate the little cams using wire so that the little holes are facing forward.  If the big holes are facing forward then you've got maximum J-Path - if the holes are in all directions you'll be falling off!!!!

callum
rds
rapid descent scotland

K2 hardtail
Orange 5
Santa Cruz Bullit
Cube AMS R29er singlespeed
Brompton folding bike!
Kona Blast