Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 03:49:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 38
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 34
Total: 34
34 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Those w/ 5" forks on EVO's...  (Read 2709 times)

keen

• Journeyman
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Those w/ 5" forks on EVO's...
« on: May 08, 2003, 12:45:50 pm »
 How do you like the steeper head angle? I have a 5" Marzocchi Z1 fork which raised my front end 1.5" (01' Way Big Disco Monkey). My head angle went from 70.5 to 68 deg. Just putting around the block I noticed the floppy chopper characteristic. I have now logged about 15 long trail rides and still  question the handling. Straight steep lines are a blast but if I have any slower speed turning to do it requires a bit of body english to get the thing steering. Is there a learning curve or is the geometry better suited for downhill use? It seems most bikes intended for DH use run 67-68 deg, XC run 69-71 deg. I am considering going to 4" springs for my Z1. Any thoughts?

slowride

• Journeyman
  • Mmmmm... dirt!
Re: Those w/ 5" forks on EVO's...
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2003, 01:29:54 pm »
I haven't noticed a big difference. I have an 02 Disco Monkey with a Sherman on it. My rear shock is exactly the same size as the stock one, and my fork is 130mm travel (vs 125 for the spec Psylo), so I suspect my head angle is around 69 degrees at 130 mm, and I don't know what at 110.

I tend to feel that 2 degrees of difference is pretty minimal, especially since it's not constant (changes as the suspension compresses), but if you really feel it's bad, then change the travel of the Z1...

jimbo

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2003, 06:06:52 pm »
I've got a Psylo and normally ride at 4 inches.  Use 5 inches when pointing down or very technical areas.  

I also noticed that with my short stem riser bar combo, I need to keep the front weighted down ala Cedric Gracia to turn better.

http://gallery.consumerreview.com/mtbr/gallery/files/802C6953.asp

dmc

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2003, 08:52:57 pm »
I've got a 125mm Vanilla in the front and a 200mm RC in the rear and haven't had to much trouble, I fitted a 50mm stem and its still OK, Climbing hills will always suck, going downhill is the fun bit anyway, but it all comes down to what you want to ride. dmc
In the words of Juan-Manuel Fangio "Brakes they only slow you down"

keen

• Journeyman
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2003, 01:12:12 am »
  Well the first dozen rides were great, mostly straight or downhill. I went to a different trail w/ plenty of technical slow areas and found myself off gaurd really having to make concious decisions to make the bike turn. I run a 110 mm stem w/ 2.5" riser bars ( I am 6'4") Hill climbs are tough w/ the high front end/ stem & bar combo, front end is really loose unless I lean forward and keep the speed up.

jedoaks

• Apprentice
  • wood is good
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2003, 05:00:41 am »
If the bike was comfy before raising the front end, try some bars that have 1" rise. You're  that much more upright. Also as tall as you are , try a longer stem, more weight on the front wheel. If you were looking for a trail fork you probably would have been better off with a Fox. If you do a lot of different types of riding the Z1 is great, takes getting used to. It is not a technical fork.Never heard of anybody shortening the travel on a Z1. Post your question on the MTB shock forum. Rich