Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 06, 2024, 07:16:24 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 18
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 23
Total: 23
23 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Matno - How's the new Swinger Air? I just bought 1  (Read 3143 times)

5500C

• Journeyman
Matno - How's the new Swinger Air? I just bought 1
« on: July 28, 2005, 02:52:10 am »
I ended up buying one on Ebay as well.  a 8.25 x 2.5.  Any tips on installing?

For anyone else.  I have a Vanilla RC 7.7875 x 2.4 (?) and a Vanilla RC Propedal 8.5 x 3 (?) for sale if this mounts up.

Carbonman1

• Apprentice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Matno - How's the new Swinger Air? I just boug
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2005, 03:56:08 am »
Soooo,

you're the one who got it.  Doh!  The seller told me that it was off a trek liquid.   Does the ending stroke adjustment keep the swing arm from hitting the frame with that 2.5" stroke?

5500C

• Journeyman
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2005, 07:42:23 am »
Different one.  I think Matno bought it.  There's 3 right now on Ebay.  I bought the one with the Buy it Now on it b/c I didn't want to get in a bidding war.  Paid a little more but its worth it.  I've been searching for this for over a year

Carbonman1

• Apprentice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2005, 11:36:57 am »
Oh...sorry 5500,

I was going to go for the "buy it now " option, but I needed to ask the seller if it was, in fact, 8.25" i to i.  Manitou doesn't list one in this length.  He got back to me but SOMEbody beat me to it.  The shock stroke is my only concern.  The Oz / 4/5000 frames aren't too tolerant of carbon bottoming.  I put a small rubber pad at the interface where the carbon arm and the seattube can meet at full compression.  I also fitted a firm handlebar grip over the shock shaft/tube to act as an external bumper.  I have been running a Fox RL, so configured, with no problem.  The 8 1/4 inch shock should give me back the travel that I lost with the Fox.  Hope I can nail one down.

5500C

• Journeyman
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2005, 03:30:26 pm »
I know i've been wondering the same, but never had any problems with my Vanilla RC's.  I'm hoping that a) there won't be a problem or b) that the progressive nature of the airspring will limit some of the problem with the right setup

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2005, 05:43:36 pm »
Haven't gotten it yet. I was out of town and asked the seller to hold off on shipping until I got back. Should be here  in the next day or two though. However, I won't be testing it for a little while at least (see my other post). Bummer.
[smiley=worry.gif]
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

5500C

• Journeyman
Bummer
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2005, 06:52:11 am »
I was just up in Couer d' Alene on Mon and Tues.  Beautiful area, I can only imagine how great Shweitzer was before the fall.  I should get the shock on Mond.  

Hoping there won't be any clearance issue with the 2.5 " travel.

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2005, 08:38:26 am »
I can't imagine there would be clearance issues for the 2.5" that wouldn't exist on a 2" stroke. Highly unlikely to be any different. That said, I have a feeling I'm going to have to make at least minor modifications to the frame to make this shock fit. We'll see. I'm excited to get it, even if I can't use it for a while!

I'm hoping I can be back on my road bike at least within a couple of weeks. Right now it's very difficult to even raise my left arm, but once it's in place, there's no problem...
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5