Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 06, 2024, 04:17:13 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 25
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 28
Total: 28
28 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Opinions?  (Read 2719 times)

Muncey

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Opinions?
« on: June 14, 2005, 05:02:39 am »
I'm new here, but I'm hoping that you can all help me out a bit.

Five years ago I bought a Proflex/K2 4500c.  It's the one with the Carbon frame, Front Smart Shock, Full Suspensiion, etc.  I have changed a couple of things on the bike, mainly the seat and tires.

I honestly can't remember specifics but if I remember correctly the seat was something like a "Fly" and the tires are Panaracer, though I can't remember the specific size/type.  They are red walled though.

I only rode it for three summers and it has basically just sat in my garage since then.  It's not that I don't want to get out and ride, because I do, I just haven't had the time.  When I did ride it was in the mountains near my home in Salt Lake City, Utah.  Nothing to rough and I've had no major wrecks or issues with the bike.  So as far as I know it's still in really good condition.

My problem is that in the last few years I've gained a bunch of weight (probably from not riding enough).  My concern is that I don't want to mess up the frame by riding it to heavy.  Especially with the way that the seat is mounted to the bike.

Any thoughts on how well the 4500 holds up are greatly appreciated.  Should I consider selling it and find something that is more sturdy or will I be fine with what I've got?

Obviously, I haven't posted what my weight is, but let's just say it's not the 150 lbs from when I was a teenager anymore ;)

Thanks in advance.

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
Re: Opinions?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2005, 06:41:06 am »
The carbon frame is even stronger than the aluminum version (which had numerous HUGE jumps in the Kranked MTB videos). I wouldn't worry one bit about the frame. There are several "bigger" guys on this forum, and problems with frame failure are virtually non-existent.

The suspension is another story, as it can blow pretty easily. I blew my rear smart shock in just 3 months of Wasatch Front riding (mostly Am Fork canyon), and I weigh a measly 140. The quality of the suspension is far from the best as well (though it's not terrible). I'd recommend that you ride it (the shocks) 'til it breaks, then upgrade. There are plenty of rear shocks that fit (search this forum), and virtually ANY fork will work (provided it has a 1 1/8" steerer tube). Good luck!

Maybe we could get together for a ride sometime when I'm in town. My parents just moved from Manhattan to SLC last month. Incidentally, after nearly 10 crime free years in NYC, their car was stolen this weekend! In a video-monitored parking garage 1 block from Temple Square, no less! What are the odds?...

8)
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2005, 07:47:24 am »
Matno is spot on,
really from what your saying this bike is ideal for what you require,your weight wont damage that frame.
Simon.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2005, 07:47:42 am by Simon »
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2005, 08:21:14 am »

You got something special there. Go ride! I have beaten my Oz up pretty good and it keeps coming back for more. I pork out at 190 lbs.

Stiffen up those shocks and ride until the cows come home. The only thing I have broken is the brake cable guide on the swingarm(came that way out of the carton).

There are so many upgrades out there, you will spend far less than buying a new bike and have fun in the process. I love my Ebay.

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2005, 01:04:09 pm »
you may need or want a heavier rear spring if you bottom out to the red stopper.

[smiley=beer.gif]

Dennis

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
    • phatphysics.com
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2005, 11:23:11 am »
from a fellow carbon owner, just get out and ride the thing. I've crashed mine a few times, and there is not even a scratch on the thing.

you may want to upgrade the rear shock, but other than that, these things are basically bullet proof.

[smiley=groucho.gif]
K2 Oz - Blue Crush
Giant MCM Team carbon HT - Momentum
Peugeot PX 10E - 1969
Trek 930 (tourer) - Valkyrie
Calfee Luna Pro - photon
gallery- http://idriders.com/cgi-bin/album_k2.pl?album=Dennis