Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 06, 2024, 06:18:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 25
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 38
Total: 38
38 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: 4000/5000 shock spec verifaction please  (Read 3155 times)

Frankd3000

• Master
  • It's a ground-to-air missile!
4000/5000 shock spec verifaction please
« on: June 14, 2005, 11:05:37 am »
Hey all! I hope that everyone is enjoying their local trails to their fullest extent! [smiley=nod.gif]

As the title says....

I want to double check with everyone who has the above frames about sizing. Applicable frames are the 4000, 5000, all the carbons (they're all the same, right? 4500, 5500 too???). Basically, all the single pivot, NON-STRUT bikes that don't have the shock passing through the seat tube.

While I just posted that I don't have a like-able solution, I think one just dawned on me. Remember MULA? Flip it around and - voila! I'm going to try it and I think it will be a success.

The specs I seek;

frame designation; model name, eg 4000, 5000 etc
frame SIZE; I don't know if it matters, but I want to be SURE
shock manufacturer and type; Noleen NR-? (was there any others?)
shock i2i; eye-to-eye length of shock
shock stroke; the distance of EXPOSED shaft, nothing more, nothing less

IF it works out then i'm going to make a bunch at work, and also pre-fab some for the strut bike (using the cone taper) so that if anyone is looking for one all I need to do is verify sizing and ship it.

I'm doing this on a non-profit level, so please don't consider this as advertising. This is strictly with intent to help others reap the same rewards that I and others have with an easy solution for an alternative. Many apologies if I should be checking this with Moderators, but at least you know my reasoning.

PATIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Andrew
'98 K2/ProFlex 3000
Working on ... too many things at once.
Link to my Gallery

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
Re: 4000/5000 shock spec verifaction please
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2005, 04:22:39 am »
What is it exactly that you're fabricating? Adaptors for shorter shocks or what?

As for specs:
all EVO frames (4000, 4500, 5000, 5500, Disco/FlyingMonkeys, etc) have an 8.25" eye to eye length.

Frame size doesn't really matter, as the only appreciable difference is in the top tube length. There were some reports of Fox Vanilla RC's with a separate reservoir that rubbed on the tire on a small frame. Not true of any other size. (I've got medium and large 5000's, and that part is EXACTLY the same in every dimension).

Shocks that came stock on these frames were all Noleens. NR2 (rebound adjustment only), NR4 (piggyback reservoir), and NR5 (SmartShock).

The original shocks all had a 1.5" stroke length (giving the bikes a travel of 4" at the wheel). I believe some of the later NR2s on some of the Disco Monkeys had a longer stroke length, which made the stock travel closer to 5" or even slightly more than that. Most of the aftermarket shocks that people have put on their bikes (at least on this forum) have longer stroke lengths for more travel. My Stratos has a 2.1" stroke length (giving an overall travel of roughly 5.65"). My Risse is supposed to have a 1.5" stroke length, but I've never actually checked to make sure that's true.

Now, the problem some people have encountered in making replacement shocks fit is in differences in the frame and swingarm mounting plates. The carbon frames have slightly different plates (wider I believe) on the frame side. The aluminum swingarms had different plates on the swingarm end. And to really complicate things, some of the aluminum frames had plates that were angled differently than others (causing problems with shock body clearance). As for which frames are which measurements, I couldn't tell you. Nobody has ever posted that info here, as far as I know...

Good luck!
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2005, 06:05:48 am »
Am I correct that you intend to make an adapter for a strut bike to be able to run a shock origionally from a 4000/5000 or carbon frame ???,if yes then I think the 8.25"/209mm i2i is far to long,
if I'm wrong then please explain what you are intending to do.
Simon,
a little confused  [smiley=laughing.gif]
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

Frankd3000

• Master
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2005, 09:03:22 am »
Matno - thanks! Most of what i've found so far is true then. That helps immensly. I was unaware of the different widths. One more thing to ask then. I don't think the different angles will be a problem, but thanks for the heads-up!

Simon - I want to make an adaptor to run shorter i2i shocks on the EVO bikes. More flexibility. I was only using the strut-equipped bikes as a reference. Right now I want to research what variables are at play with ONLY the EVO bikes. I can't make an adaptor to fit a conventional shock onto my 5000 because the Noleen's use a smaller eyelet. This means nothing but problems (less clearance around the eyelet). However, if I can make an adaptor to fit a shorter shock then the skies the limit (theoretically). Make more sense now?

NEW Q's;
UPPER shock mount width
LOWER shock mount width

So far, I have found that my 5000's LOWER shock mount is 15/16" wide. I still need to check the upper. I need more sizes please.

Pardon my speeeeling mysteak on the title. [smiley=disbelief.gif]
Andrew
'98 K2/ProFlex 3000
Link to my Gallery

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2005, 02:46:09 pm »
If you could make an adaptor for a 7.5" shock, that would greatly simplify shopping. I'd be game for one of those on my 5000...
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

proflex252

• Master
  • TransAlp forever!
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2005, 11:22:41 pm »
I had a NR5 (Smart Shock) on my 5000 with 1.5 travel.
Bullshit!!!
I measured the travel of my bikes tail. It was 89mm and not 100mm (4 inches) as K2 said.
So I built in a NR2 fork damper with 2 inches of travel.

No my 5000 has 115mm (4 1/2inches) rear travel measured!!

Well, it was some work on the laith to build adapters and I had to replace the spring by a 400 Ti Spring and the oil by SAE 20 forkoil from motorbikes.

Now it runs perfectly!!! In combination with my psylo race (5inches travel) it is a perfect alps bike for long and rough rides.

Strongly recommended!!

Matti
http://www.bike-sport.com/

07 Nicolai UFO ST
01 K2 Disco Monkey
98 K2 Proflex 5000
93 Proflex 853
92 Proflex 952
92 Proflex 252
95 GT Tequesta
IBS Titanium Single Speeder 24"

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2005, 04:17:58 am »
Hey There.

15/16" is common on my Oz carbon swingarm as well as my 4000 alum swingarm. Sounds like a slam-dunk there.

My Oz (Carbon) upper mount is 1.450 inches wide.

All my frames are size Large.

Let me know when you are ready, I need a cone adapter for my 957.

Terry

« Last Edit: June 16, 2005, 04:25:27 am by shovelon »
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

Dennis

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
    • phatphysics.com
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2005, 11:08:44 am »
ah yes, verifaction. If I remember correctly verifaction is when one verifies facts.

a great old word that not too many use anymore. Thanks for using it.

[smiley=groucho.gif]
K2 Oz - Blue Crush
Giant MCM Team carbon HT - Momentum
Peugeot PX 10E - 1969
Trek 930 (tourer) - Valkyrie
Calfee Luna Pro - photon
gallery- http://idriders.com/cgi-bin/album_k2.pl?album=Dennis

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2005, 08:47:49 pm »
Frankd3000
yes makes sence now,but another Q
is the adapter for the s/arm end or the frame end mount ??? sorry if you've explained this already and I've missed it,
I was looking into something along these lines for my son's Oz (before I got carried away with the 856 project),
my plan was to make a replacement s/arm mount
(remove the origional and re-rivit/bond on the new one),this was to be taller to accommodate shorter i2i's,plus I intended to have 3 position mountings linked by a slot (a bit like a Marin),all secured by a modified QR,just haven't got round to it yet,
Simon.
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

Frankd3000

• Master
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2005, 09:02:28 am »
You haven't missed anything, Simon.

I'm thinking more along the lines of an adaptor to fit within the stock s/arm location. Here's why;

* the size, particularily the width, seems to be standard between the various frame's/size, etc.

* there's more room at the frame for "hi-jinx" (modifications), whereas the s/arm only provides so much clearance for suddenly trying to put in a shock with a 1/2" eyelet diameter.

* I didn't even think about making a new mount on the frame.  [smiley=laughing.gif] I just took the idea from the strut bikes and "modifiy to fit".

Still looking for "verifaction", guys. Get out those tape measures and let me know please.
Andrew
'98 K2/ProFlex 3000
Link to my Gallery