Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 04, 2024, 08:20:22 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 30
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 64
Total: 64
64 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: helping a busted 856 (swingarm)  (Read 2876 times)

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
helping a busted 856 (swingarm)
« on: July 15, 2005, 04:46:59 am »
My LBS called and one of their customers has an 856 with a broken swingarm...near or at the drops (der.) side.

I think the best option is to get a new bike or get the swing repaired with proper aluminum welding techniques.

Or a used arm off of ebay or a used frame.

Any other ideas out there?

The bike is in California, btw.

[smiley=beer.gif]

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
Re: helping a busted 856 (swingarm)
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2005, 06:22:28 am »
Hi Carbon_angus,
Welding would be the best option,
if done correctly it will be as good as new and much cheaper than a new bike,
A used s/arm may be a good option but I just got of ebay an 855 frameset (same s/arm)but upon inspection the s/arm has had a repair to the main pivot,
so you could end up with another s/arm not much better than the one you've got,better the devil you know.
Simon.
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

Frankd3000

• Master
  • It's a ground-to-air missile!
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2005, 09:59:40 am »
This sounds like a job for....

Welder Man!!!!!!!!!!!! (dons cape and tights)

By day, he is mild mannered welder extrodinaire, Terry. By night, he fights the evil villian, Crack D'Luminum! With his welding rods in hand he does battle to ward off the evil foe and comes out victorious in the end.

Stay tuned next week, when Terry meets his new foe - S. W. Arum.
 [smiley=laughing.gif]

Sorry, i'm just a little bored and feeling creative right now. Really couldn't help myself. I miss those old TV shows.
Andrew
'98 K2/ProFlex 3000
Working on ... too many things at once.
Link to my Gallery

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2005, 12:22:23 pm »
That's weird. I just finished a swingarm on a Santa Cruz Bullit an hour ago. Could not be the same bike could it? This guy wanted the swingarm deraillier hole welded, reshaped, rebored and threaded. After restraightening the hanger, the hole was still in good enough shape to install a helicoil and not need a weld. He is a happy guy at $30 bucks, and I did not have to do all that reshaping.

If this is not the guy, and he is close to L.A. I would be happy to talk to the guy about his problem.

Terry
« Last Edit: July 15, 2005, 12:23:15 pm by shovelon »
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2005, 12:33:00 pm »
Andrew,

You ever see 'Sky King' and 'Whirlybird' on TV years ago? Those were my faves. (Penny was pretty)

Angus, after reading your post again I saw that the S.W. Arum was from an 856. Yes, it can be reset and welded. Sounds llike the dropout cracked just behind the strut mount like usual. He can have a shop reweld the section with 5356 filler. This is common on Mountain cycle San Andreas swingarms, and they hold fine.

Terry
« Last Edit: July 21, 2005, 12:19:18 pm by shovelon »
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
McMahon FS

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2005, 05:54:22 am »
That's weird. I just finished a swingarm on a Santa Cruz Bullit an hour ago. Could not be the same bike could it? This guy wanted the swingarm deraillier hole welded, reshaped, rebored and threaded. After restraightening the hanger, the hole was still in good enough shape to install a helicoil and not need a weld. He is a happy guy at $30 bucks, and I did not have to do all that reshaping.

If this is not the guy, and he is close to L.A. I would be happy to talk to the guy about his problem.

Terry

The bike is in the San Jose, CA area. It's broken/cracked near the der. hanger area. What if he shipped the swing arm to you? You can do it? PM me if you want.

[smiley=beer.gif]

rapiddescent

• Master
  • what a ride
    • Rapid Descent Scotland
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2005, 10:09:28 pm »
how easy is it to weld aluminium?  I was thinking of going on a night course of something to learn it - just so I can make wacky frames and stuff.  I believe the equipment is quite expensive  - can anyone shed any light on this?

cheers
callum
rds
rapid descent scotland

K2 hardtail
Orange 5
Santa Cruz Bullit
Cube AMS R29er singlespeed
Brompton folding bike!
Kona Blast

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2005, 03:47:42 am »
Callum, How easy is it to weld alum?

Well about as hard as learning to drive. But I warn you that some people really can't get driving.

But taking a class is a good idea to get your feet wet. Some schools make you start out with gas welding, then stick welding, wire welding, before they will let you try the tig welding. What a waste of time. Go right to the tig welding. That's where you want to be. Right?

But if you have the means buy yourself an entry level(hobby) AC/DC Tig welder. Miller and Lincoln both have turnkey models that will set you back about $2000. The Miller is called Econotig, the Lincoln is called Idealarc 175. The nice thing is that it comes with the torch, ground cable, meters, and such. You just need the gas bottle. Both have idiot guides and parameter charts. The power requirements involve 230 volts with 50 amp service.

Once assembled and plugged in just read the setting charts and the instructions for operating and have a go. Sure you will fail miserably but practice make perfect and after a few hours the techniqe will come to you. I have high school kids tacking my parts in minutes. A little unsure about themselves, I tune the machine, demonstrate task and ask them to copy, works every time. The setup is key, that is why I recommend the turnkey machines. They are so easy.

For comparison, I use Miller Aerowaves. They cost about $8000 each and is the power supply only. Then I spec out the torch, cooler, ground clamp, meters(2 ea.), tungstens, collets, collet bodies, cups, lead block for torch, ect. By the time I am done, I have another $1000 added. Then I wire, calibrate the meters, set the polarity settings as well as dwells, time gas preflow and postflow, disengage the pulsing, and set the gas ratios. Then I can start making money.

I guess before you do anything, go to your local welding supplier and get brochures on these hobby machines, as well as price quotes. Just getting personal with the equipment will be fun.

Hope this helps,
Terry

OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
McMahon FS

rapiddescent

• Master
  • what a ride
    • Rapid Descent Scotland
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2005, 11:48:31 pm »
thanks - very useful.  I'm going to look up some local courses.

callum
rd scotland
rapid descent scotland

K2 hardtail
Orange 5
Santa Cruz Bullit
Cube AMS R29er singlespeed
Brompton folding bike!
Kona Blast