Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 09, 2024, 01:13:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 62
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 40
Total: 40
40 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: More trail trouble...  (Read 3076 times)

Mr.Ed

• Journeyman
More trail trouble...
« on: May 18, 2005, 09:57:31 am »
   This is an email I just received today,  Now the cops are involved...Good

Guys,

I just heard about some piano wire boobytraps set in the Ruhenstroth area.  They are serious traps set at throat level.  Be aware if you go out that way.  If you have any information let me know.

I have contacted the BLM. Douglas County Sheriffs are taking a statement from the individual that found the traps.  It is considered attempted murder at this time.

Just thought to pass along more troubling news...

any suggestions?

Ed

oz-m,next lp,kings717's,bb7's,dhxair

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
Re: More trail trouble...
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2005, 11:58:44 am »
Ed,

Are there any trail maintance groups or hiking groups in the area? A little visit to thier group meeting and a blurb in the newspaper can work wonders.

And carry a disposable camera and some red tape along. If anyone finds a wire, tag it a take pictures to send to the authorities. If those shots again make it  to the media, something can be achieved.

Good Luck,

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

Mr.Ed

• Journeyman
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2005, 04:46:04 am »
Terry,

The fellow that sent that email is the president of the Pinenut Mountain Trails Association. This group includes people from all user groups.
 Newspapers have been notified already, no response.
 Great idea about thered tape and camera....thanks

Ed

Frankd3000

• Master
  • It's a ground-to-air missile!
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2005, 12:35:25 pm »
Attempted murder? Ooooooooh, someone's gonna get it reeeeeal bad if they get caught.

I'm glad to hear that this is being taken in a very serious manner  - as it should be, IMHO.
Andrew
'98 K2/ProFlex 3000
Working on ... too many things at once.
Link to my Gallery

rapiddescent

• Master
  • what a ride
    • Rapid Descent Scotland
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2005, 12:03:11 am »
We haven't quite identified the man who was seen putting logs on the trails in my area (in scotland) but he has stopped after a biker told him we were all talking about it online (Stirling Bike Club) and had police involvement...

I hope they catch the criminal in your area.
callum
rds
rapid descent scotland

K2 hardtail
Orange 5
Santa Cruz Bullit
Cube AMS R29er singlespeed
Brompton folding bike!
Kona Blast

Mr.Ed

• Journeyman
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2005, 06:09:06 am »
thanks for the input guys
I find it real suspicious that the bulk of the "wire traps" are being found where the trails come out by an expensive neighborhood. maybe this means something, maybe not?
Ed

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2005, 07:36:49 am »
We haven't quite identified the man who was seen putting logs on the trails in my area...
callum

Where I come from, putting logs on trails is considered "trail maintenance" - a good thing! 8)

(Of course, that only applies if I can still ride over them!)
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

jimbo

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2005, 10:11:38 am »
thanks for the input guys

I find it real suspicious that the bulk of the "wire traps" are being found where the trails come out by an expensive neighborhood. maybe this means something, maybe not?

Ed

We had different situation.  Not blatantly dangerous like yours.  This idiot bought the last lot next to a area zone for conservation.  The conservation area is owned by the home owners association.  The idiot decided that he didn't like mtbrs and hikers entering the conservation area next to his lot so he put up a fence blocking the access.  That created an uproar not only for the mtbrs and hikers but the some of the residences in that area since they like to take evening walks there too.  

I called the property manager of the home owners association that owned the blocked off conseration area.  The manager was aware of the fence and wouldn't do anything about it.  I warned him that since the association owned the land they would be reponsible regardless of whoever put up the fence.  He blew me off saying that he's been able to fix building permits issues before.  It turns out that the Sierra Club got blew off by the manager too.

Well the association got fined big time by the Depart of Land and Natural Resources.  The charges were building an illegal structure (the fence), destruction of of convervation land (the idiot leveled the land way beyond his property line) and illegal use of ATVs on conservation land (the idiot and his family created a private ATV park).    The State did not charge the Idiot because it was not his land.  The Association had to sue the idiot to collect on the fines and cost to restore the land.  

The fence is now gone and mtbrs and hikers are back to accessing the trails.   EXCEPT, it really noticable that the Idiot's fence around his house is the only one with graphitti (sp) in the nice exclusive neighborhood.  I guess some neighbors are still pissed.

sammydog

• Master
    • Hunter Mountainbike Association
Re: More trail trouble..
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2005, 12:01:11 am »
Thank god we haven't had to contend with piano wire at this stage. We are currently fighting the National Parks and Wildlife Service to retain our trails.

To date the worst we have had placed on the trails in lagre logs at ground level in blind corners and jumps and thick branches at head height.

Anyone interested in the fight in our little part of the woods, have a look at www.glenrocktrailalliance.tk.

If your from australia, please log on and show your support for retaining Glenrock in Newcastle. If your ever up here you must ride here, it is an awesome riding area.

Mr.Ed

• Journeyman
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2005, 01:33:26 am »