Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 08, 2024, 04:37:34 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 53
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 35
Total: 35
35 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: I think I found a shock... please advise  (Read 3307 times)

jetman624

• Novice
  • New schooler rockin an OLD school bike
I think I found a shock... please advise
« on: April 19, 2005, 08:29:04 am »
Will this fit?  The mounts look correct but I though I would double check  you guys first.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=36135&item=7150502251&rd=1

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
Re: I think I found a shock... please advise
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2005, 09:03:41 am »
For which frame?
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

Frankd3000

• Master
  • It's a ground-to-air missile!
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2005, 09:28:08 am »
Jetman - i'm NOT 100% certain, BUT from what I see in the K2 pdf files it looks correct. It's similar to my World Cup frame design, and does use a tapered adaptor, however, on the pdf it shows as being a seperate piece, whereas on mine it's a one-piece design.

Have you taken your's apart yet to verify exactly what you have? Just a thought.
Andrew
'98 K2/ProFlex 3000
Working on ... too many things at once.
Link to my Gallery

jetman624

• Novice
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2005, 11:20:08 am »
My frame is an 856.  Sorry, I guess that is some what relivant.

Carbonman1

• Apprentice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2005, 12:56:49 pm »
Hey Jetman,  If you have an 856 the swingarm should have a taper fit.  I had 756 with the taper (150 in./lbs. torque).  The 855's is of the two piece variety--separate tapered base that fits the shock shaft.  The shock should fit your frame.  

To be sure though,  I would remove the rear wheel,  loosen the lower shock bolt and varify.  I have found some variations in the Proflex line depending upon date of manufacture.

jetman624

• Novice
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2005, 06:50:43 pm »
$%!* [smiley=furious.gif]

I feel discouraged...  

I don't know what they were smokin when they thought that shock up, BUT I WILL TAKE 2!  It is either an ingenious feet of engineering, or the most ghetto thing I have ever seen.  I stil can't decide which...

So the "shock" I have on my bike has those yellow thingys stuffed inside a piece of radiator hose and the shock mount to the strut is a straight cylinder shape, no taper.  It looks like the strut mount hole had been filled something, it is not metal surrounding the shock mount, some bondo looking stuff.

Now this is where I am baffled.  My uncle gave me a extra stock shock husing that he had, no yellow thingys, just the 2 alluminum pieces.  The part where that one mounts to the strut IS TAPERED, but is tappered the OPPOSITE direction of the shock on ebay and I cannot for the life of me figure out how in gods name it would mount to the strut.

Is my strut just wack?  Anyone know if and where I could get a strut that would accept the shock that is on ebay ince that appears to be the correct mount style?

If someone wants to see pics I can snap a few and email them.  It doesn't appear that I an get them in a post.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2005, 08:52:54 pm by jetman624 »

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2005, 10:25:31 pm »
your 856 should have a shock with a taper similar to the shock on ebay.The shock your uncle gave probably  just has  the adapter on upside down(on my 756 that cone shaped peice can be taken off the shock.I am not quite sute what you mean by your strut ,,has the tapered hole been filled with some thing,you can maybe carefully scrape it out.If you tap the end of the strut you may be able to lossen it...trevor post up your stut pics.....the 855 has a flat mount the x56 and later have the taper,and i think the taper was the same through to the 98 1,2,and 3000 and the beasts and animals.The 856 should also have the gold coloured oil damped smiple ods shock
if you have pics on your computer you can upload them to the galleries or the files  areas...

« Last Edit: April 19, 2005, 10:26:57 pm by kiwi »
kiwi proflex rider

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2005, 03:25:22 am »
Hey Jet,

The shock looks sano. Wait til the end of the auction and try to get it for 25 bucks. I am sure that the shock will work, as it will fit not only the 856 but 857 series struts. The price is right. The important thing is that you don't lose out on that shock.

Kiwi is right. Someone rigged something up. The stuff filled in the hole may be some epoxy filler that can be removed with gentle heat, like scraping it out with a hot soldering iron.

Good luck.

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

jetman624

• Novice
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2005, 05:30:37 am »
YEEEESSSSS.

There is an 857/957 strut on ebay right now.  I am gonna try to to get that and hopefully won't have to deal with any epoxy scraping.

jetman624

• Novice
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2005, 09:30:50 am »
Pics are up in that gallerie

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2005, 07:56:51 pm »
jetman your spare shock is a friction damped shock and the collet or whatever is upside down.It is not a standard stock 856 shock.The dnm shock will fit your bike.The pic of your strut is to blurry for me to make anuthing out.The risse shock will require a freedom adapter to fit your bike and is already at 90 british pounds.How a bout a coupla pics of the bike!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2005, 07:57:54 pm by kiwi »
kiwi proflex rider

jetman624

• Novice
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2005, 05:39:29 am »
Well it looks like I got a 857 rear strut coming and I confirmed that it has the tapered shock mount so I am happy about that.  The shock is on its way as well.  It is about time to, I noticed after a nice long ride yesterday that my "shock" is slowly squishing together and not pulling back apart... I am loosing ground clearnece by the day  :(

I will put some bike pics up there ASAP.

Frankd3000

• Master
  • It's a ground-to-air missile!
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2005, 02:30:21 pm »
Okay, time for a bad joke.... so, your "shock" is in.... shock? [smiley=disbelief.gif]

Did you get my P.M., Jet?

Congrats! Hope it goes together well.
Andrew
'98 K2/ProFlex 3000
Working on ... too many things at once.
Link to my Gallery

K2perv

• Novice
  • proflex forever!
    • check out my gallery!
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2005, 08:08:31 am »
i just put risse racing air shocks on my 5000.  in my opinion they kick ass.
risse shock, raceface deusXC crankset, sram xo derailleur, xo shifters, avid blackops levers, xtr brakes, thomson stem/seatpost, bontrager racexlite wheelset, easton ec70 bar, time atac titan pedals