Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 10, 2024, 03:25:13 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 43
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 32
Total: 32
32 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Front d inventor needs help  (Read 2808 times)

jazclrint

• Journeyman
    • The Bicycle Guy
Front d inventor needs help
« on: May 24, 2005, 06:37:44 pm »
I don't know if you folks have run across Chris Wickliffe and his Wick Werks SG front derailuer design, but it is cool, American, and finally going to be produced this fall.  I asked him if it would fit my carbon, and even with pics he's not sure but opimistic.  He did ask me to see if there were any forum members that live in Salt Lake who would be willing to bring there K2/proflex by to see if it fits.  He said all he needs to do is see it.  His e-mail is chris@wickwerks.com.  And his website is http://robinw.webpipe.net/index.htm.  Please drop him a line.  This will be a great alternative to the Shimano FDs we are forced to use.  

I have no relations with this product yada, yada.  I just think its really cool, and friends don't let friends don't let friends ride shimano. ;)
Rich 5500c EC70 Handlebar, EC70 seatpost, SRAM X.0 shifters/R.D., 9.0 casette, X-7 F.D., Magura HS33s, Raceface Next LP w/ti Isis BB, Fulcrum Zeros RB, Fox Float RL AVAs F&R, Rocket Rons 2.25

StoereVent

• Journeyman
  • Rocky Mountain Instinct
Re: Front d inventor needs help
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2005, 07:58:54 pm »
Looks nice, but a bit fragile too. The FDs we are used to now, are much more compact. I doubt wether the disadvantages (the fact that you need a chainguard and custom shifters) will be overcome by the advantages. In my case the wear of the cassette is always the reason I have to replace the drivetrain. And I doubt that the new FD will slow the wear of that part.
But it's nice to see a new concept.
(BTW: for those that don't want to use a Shimano FD, there is ofcourse the SRAM FD)

Jeroen.

jazclrint

• Journeyman
    • The Bicycle Guy
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2005, 09:02:37 pm »
(BTW for those of us with Carbon frames, and others that the SRAMs don't fit on, have to use Shimano)

Pay attention, will ya.  I started a thread maybe a month ago asking if there was an alternative to the Shimano on my 5500.  And everyone said NO!  It would've been a whitty comment if it wasn't so ignorant.
Rich 5500c EC70 Handlebar, EC70 seatpost, SRAM X.0 shifters/R.D., 9.0 casette, X-7 F.D., Magura HS33s, Raceface Next LP w/ti Isis BB, Fulcrum Zeros RB, Fox Float RL AVAs F&R, Rocket Rons 2.25

StoereVent

• Journeyman
  • Rocky Mountain Instinct
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2005, 11:54:11 pm »
I really should start using emoticons in my replies [smiley=worry.gif]. I'm sorry my BTW did offend you in some way...  :(  And I'm sorry I don't remember your topic from a month ago :'(. But YOU should pay attention too: all my replies are ignorant, so there is no need for you to emphasize that.

BTW: Who is Whitty? ;)
It would've been a whitty comment if it wasn't so ignorant

Jeroen.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2005, 12:01:15 am by stoerevent »

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2005, 02:33:56 am »
IF you had sent this out a few weeks sooner, I could have stopped by. I was staying in Salt Lake (where my parents just moved) WITH my 5000. You might try pm'ing Thunderchild on this board. He lives about 40 minutes south of Salt Lake and has a Carbon Oz. Then again, he's the ultimate "they don't make 'em like they used to" guy, so he may hesitate to add a "new fangled contraption" to his bike...
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2005, 03:23:03 am »
I don't know if it will clear the swingarm of the front pivot swingarm bikes like my Oz or such. They use  bottom pullers, and swing below the swingarm.

But if it fits, it would nest sweetly. Gotta get one to replace the trigger shifter set I have now.

Terry

OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

rapiddescent

• Master
  • what a ride
    • Rapid Descent Scotland
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2005, 02:53:20 am »
Are we sure that the SRAM X and 9 don't fit on the carbon frame?  I thought they did.  In fact, I am positive that they do.  I use a SRAM 9.0 using the bottom pull on a 1997 beast that has similar problems.

callum
rds
rapid descent scotland

K2 hardtail
Orange 5
Santa Cruz Bullit
Cube AMS R29er singlespeed
Brompton folding bike!
Kona Blast

jazclrint

• Journeyman
    • The Bicycle Guy
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2005, 06:52:29 am »
Stoerevent,  I appologise for over eacting and not paying enough attention to the fact you give everyone a hard time. ;D

rapiddescent, take a look at my gallery to see what I had to do to make a SRAM work.  This was a 5.0, but they were all the same.  I am almost positive the X will not work,  but the new 3.0 might.  Someone was gonna check.  The FD stub on my carbon is not tall enough where the 9's cage moves moves horizontally.  If it moved up at a 45 is degree angle, it would work.  With all do respect, the Beast and the Carbons are clearly not all that a like.

But thanks for the reply's.