Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 11, 2024, 03:20:26 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 27
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 29
Total: 29
29 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Help a newbie in the SS vs FS world  (Read 3110 times)

eastcoastk2

• Novice
  • I love life
Help a newbie in the SS vs FS world
« on: January 17, 2004, 02:19:19 am »
Do any of you guys ride both Single Speeds and FS.  I will preface my question with a little background.

I'm a very casual rider (i.e little real riding and/or bike mech exp) who is in hopes of getting my two young sons involed in biking.  Over the late summer and fall I purchased some bikes (via ebay) so that each of us would have a decent MTB and BMX (SS MTB 4 me).  I did not get my evo 4.0 until late this fall so I have had limited riding time on it and it is the only FS I've rode.  My SS is an older Cdale convert with XT/XTR grade components (minus derailer of course) and Michilin road tires.

Now for the question

After riding the cdale the evo makes me feel like I'm riding with flat tires (there are not).  While I can take a good ten mile ride on the Cdale with ease a two mile ride on the evo at the same speed gets me winded (sad but true).  Can the extra weight and the difference in the tires make that much of a difference or would you guess that there is a problem with the evo.  It rides smooth and doesn't seem to make any bad noises but it just seems to dragggggggggg.

I know I maybe asking for allot with a little info but anything would help.

Scott

• Master
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Help a newbie in the SS vs FS world
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2004, 03:26:12 am »
What you're describing is a combination of tires/weight/bobbing-or rear suspension movement from pedal input which equals wasted energy from the rider.  It's the main drawback to single pivot FS bikes.  But when taken off road the feeling, and wasted energy, goes away as the supple suspension of your EVO maintains traction and speed where a hardtail or less active FS rig spins/skips over small bumps or "trail chatter".  I train on my EVO style frame on the road with big tires with my wife who rides her road bike.  We each have a good workout.
Scott
Pittsfield, Massachusetts
K2 Oz
K2 5000
Extralite F1 (sub 20lb FS)
Trek 1000 road

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2004, 04:20:22 am »
that's a good newbie question  ;)

i ride an Oz(Evo type) an 857 SS and a road bike. after riding the road bike for awhile and then jumping back on the Oz, i get the same feeling as far as flat tires..slow..hard...

tire difference will make a huge impact, too.

from my expereince a ways back...yours is normal.  keep riding the EVO and your SS and have fun

Your EVO is designed to go where your SS can't and vice versa.

[smiley=beer.gif]

« Last Edit: January 17, 2004, 04:20:37 am by carbon_angus »

pedro

• Journeyman
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2004, 10:27:31 pm »
exactly,
The evo is for backcountry exploring. For riding rough trails, where the suspension will be beneficial and not a drag.  The evo with older conventional shocks, does bob a bit, but it is a very confortable ride, treats your butt and back gently.
You can reduce the evo's bobbing by preloading the shock, or/and increasing its rebound.
For pure street ridding or flat trails, your SS bike will pedal more efficiently, but will limit your ability to explore appearing trails.

Dennis

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
    • phatphysics.com
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2004, 02:03:46 am »
while I agree with everything that has been said so far, I also think that the tires on the bikes are making are a  huge difference. You didn't say what kind of tires where on your evo, you did say you have road tires on the SS bike.  I would guess there are off road tires on the evo. the extra width makes a very big difference in rotational weight and friction with the road surface, causing it to feel heavy and draggy.
I would also venture to say that you are running higher tire pressures in your ss tires. more psi = less drag.
anyway, to echo the above statements, it sounds like your ss is set up for the road, and the evo for off road.
have fun riding both!!
[smiley=groucho.gif]
K2 Oz - Blue Crush
Giant MCM Team carbon HT - Momentum
Peugeot PX 10E - 1969
Trek 930 (tourer) - Valkyrie
Calfee Luna Pro - photon
gallery- http://idriders.com/cgi-bin/album_k2.pl?album=Dennis

eastcoastk2

• Novice
  • I love life
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2004, 03:26:54 am »
Thanks for the replys.  I posted this same question on a SS forum and the replys were very similar.  The tires on my evo are off road (specialize pro) and they are slightly lower pressure so I'm sure that is a big part of it.  Even on my previous geared rigid MTB I switched the tire to slicks because most of my riding at the time was with the kids in the nieborhood and now I remember it making a big difference.

The other forum gave me some good Ideas on what to check the evo to ensure there is not a problem so I will do that.

I have enjoyed reading the stuff on this forum and maybe some day I'll see some of you on a trail!

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2004, 03:27:05 am »

The other forum gave me some good Ideas on what to check the evo to ensure there is not a problem so I will do that.

uh............ ???

eastcoastk2

• Novice
  • I love life
The Experts were Right!
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2004, 11:57:12 am »
After telling myself I would learn to do bike maintenance myself for the last few months I broke down and toke the evo to my LBS for a tune up.  They did a good job and found no major problems.

However the problem with it dragging continued.  Since my reality is that I will do very little trail riding and it will be on hard pack I decided to try new tires.  I found some semi-slicks on ebay (The Front tire is a Panaracer Mach SS 26x1.95 and the rear is a Continental Double Fighter 26x2.00) for $26.00 shipped. I just replace the Specialized Pros that came with the bike.

WOW!  What a difference.  I have been very reluctant to choose the evo over the SS but that might just change.  I think the Cdale is still somewhat easier to pedal but I think I may learn to love the smooooth ride of the evo.

Can I still lurk around here even if I turn my evo in to a Bling-Bling beach cruiser?

Thanks for the advice.  I wish I would taken it sooner.

P.S.  How much more difference would there be between Semi-slicks and Slicks?  After looking into it a little more I realize that my SS has Semi slick as well not road tires (slicks) like I originally posted.

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2004, 08:35:33 am »
if you ride exclusively on pavement get slicks.

your next step is to go clipless! hehehe

[smiley=beer.gif]

eastcoastk2

• Novice
  • I love life
What a difference a year makes
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2005, 04:59:14 am »
Just for fun I thought I would post a one year update.

I've ridden more over the last year than ever and even more so over the last few months.  I still have the Semi slicks on the K2 but I did replace the 10 pound punture resistant tubes with standard tubes.

Clearly the biggest differnece is with the motor.  I now prefer the K2 for any rides other than very fast paced road rides where I'm forced to take the road bike.  I do ride the SS since it forces me to work on spinning.

Almost all my riding is still on the road but the Evo is a major player.  I'm working on getting my riding friends to the dirt where it will really shine.

I did start to refer to the K2 as "The Pig" last year but now it is a very affectionate term.

I have grown to prefer it over the SS and my Road bike (Zeppelin).

Thanks for keeping the forum active.  I still lurk on occasion and this is the first place I would come with any questions on the bike.

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2005, 10:25:03 am »
Rear wheel, tight spokes.

Repeat 10 more times.

Whenever I feel a dragging sensation I pop a power gel and tighten the rear spokes. Chicken soup for the soul.

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2005, 10:25:53 am »
the main thing is that you are having fun riding your bike, it doesn't really matter where or even what bike.

I kinda like "the pig"...for a bike name....now you can make her squeal. [smiley=laughing.gif]

[smiley=beer.gif]

Frankd3000

• Master
  • It's a ground-to-air missile!
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2005, 11:58:55 am »
(sniff sniff) I smell bacon. [smiley=laughing.gif]

I think it's been covered by now - tires. A story, if I may....

Way back when I used to have a HT (that won't be happeneing again). It was the previous bike to my current 3000. I used to ride a local paved trail for exercise nearly everyday, after school. I'd ride from my house, which was at the "start" of the trail, down to downtown TO. I don't remember the distance exactly, but I remember seeing 35 - miles or kilometers, I don't remember.

With Panaracer Smokes i'd do it in about 45 minutes.

Then I got a pair of slicks. [smiley=nod.gif] Ooooooooh, what a HUUUUUGE difference! That 45 minutes was immediately shattered with 35, 34, 33 and even one 32 minute ride times (the criteria of these rides was obviously speed). Never the "magic 20-something". I never got completely comfortable with them as I couldn't lean into the corners as much, but as long as I didn't have to slam on the brakes I was flying with these tires. I'd easily average 40 kph.

I noticed right away that I had more energy for the ride home, which was a good thing because it was mostly up-hill's. These tires were used exclusively for my paved-ride journeys after that. I really liked them that much.

I did, for one "brief summer", catch my 20-something number.... on a road bike. The road bike is loooong gone - it was never as much fun to ride as the HT.

For me, fun is where it's at.
Andrew
'98 K2/ProFlex 3000
Working on ... too many things at once.
Link to my Gallery