Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 09, 2024, 03:17:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 62
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 42
Total: 42
42 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: ride results of my new carbon frame buildup  (Read 2401 times)

chainsaw

• Apprentice
  • 5500, 5000, Rans Recumbent, Raleigh SuperCourse
    • My FJ60 Land Cruiser
ride results of my new carbon frame buildup
« on: May 31, 2005, 01:50:41 pm »
well, I took my new carbon frame 4500/5500 buildup on an annual ride our club does in the Ozark Mountain of Arkansas. I finally got to test my new bike out.

As you all know, my bike build up had dissapointed me because it weighed in at 33 lbs.

I am happy to report that I was very very happy with how the bike performed over the weekend. It was silky smooth. The disc brakes felt great, the XTR shifters felt great, and the tubless tires felt especially great. some people were fascinated by my new ride, and some people practically ridiculed it.

so I am satisifed with my new ride and proud of it. I am still not sure it was the best the decision to take the path I chose, but I did, and I accept it. It has many positives. Like I said, I enjoy being different, and having something unique. I am just glad that I LOVE the way the bike feels when I ride it.

I have two remaining questions:

the carbon 5500 frame was designed NOT to be lighter, but to be stronger than a aluminum frame. I get that.

1. Was the carbon frame designed to absorb vibration

2. wasi it also designed to be torsionally stiffer?

just wondering, because like I said, it just feels so good to ride.

thanks to all those who helped me in building this bike up.

one other note:

while in arkansas, I had three k3 proflexes on the roof of my Landcruiser. A 4000, a 5000 and a 5500. I guy stops me in the backwoods of Arkansas and says he used to work for K2  in the "modelling dept" and just raves about the K2 carbon and asks me if I realize that the carbon has ribs in it and that if I hit a rock with it and chip off part of the carbon, not to worry, that people just keep riding because its only the shell and that the inner ribs of carbon will keep the frame strong. I gave him my email address and told him to email  me because I thought he would like to know about this website.

bottom line:

I like my new ride a lot... it just FEELS great. still a little dissapointed that it weighs 33 lbs, but I guess that is my fault for putting bullet proof components on it. I think I got what I wanted in the end.
-'98 Proflex K2 5500 Marzocchi forks, Stratos Expert shock, Thomson seatpost,  XTR shifters, XT rapid rise, XTR front der., Hope XC hubs, Mavic UST 819, Wierwolf tubless tires, XT crank, Avid Mechs

Dennis

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
    • phatphysics.com
Re: ride results of my new carbon frame buildup
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 02:07:49 pm »
Chainsaw,

I just knew you would love your carbon K2, as I do mine. As for those people you said ridiculed your ride, I wonder what they ride?

glad you are having a good time with your k2.

[smiley=groucho.gif]
K2 Oz - Blue Crush
Giant MCM Team carbon HT - Momentum
Peugeot PX 10E - 1969
Trek 930 (tourer) - Valkyrie
Calfee Luna Pro - photon
gallery- http://idriders.com/cgi-bin/album_k2.pl?album=Dennis

Colin

• Guru
  • in a village near Northampton, UK
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 10:18:10 pm »
Sorry, don't know the answer to your two questions.
On the question of weight, K2 allegedly used special "race weight" swingarms which I have occasionly heard of people getting there hands on but don't know if anyone can authoratively confirm this.
Maybe they also did "race weight" frames ??

quote:
"and asks me if I realize that the carbon has ribs in it and that if I hit a rock with it and chip off part of the carbon, not to worry, that people just keep riding because its only the shell and that the inner ribs of carbon will keep the frame strong."

That's right on this point, the outer is a shell, with a virtually 2D "spine" inside it with the mounting points for headset, BB, Seatpost attached to it. But, I'm sure the shell contributes immensely to strength and rigidity as well.
Bottom line is, if you do "chip" it what are you going to do with it other than keep riding it?
When was the last time a frame failed on you?
You hear a lot of horror stories from people about carbon frame bikes, but rarely from people who actually have one....<GRIN>

Col.
2001 OzM
2000 OzX
1999 x500
1999 900 Frame
1998 4000se
1998 4000
1997 957 Frame
1997 857 Frames
1997 XP-X (856)
1995/6 x55/x56 Frame
1992 962 Frame
1991 Marin Pine Mountain with a Flex Stem

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2005, 05:11:44 am »
Speaking of weights between the carbon and aluminum versions, my Oz size large was advertised at 6.7 lbs. With smartfork, it came in at 11 lbs or so. I concluded that  6.7lbs was on target. Then I did my buildup.

Sometime later I found a listing for a 4000(evo) frame, size large, with the weight as 7.5 lbs. These geometries are identical.

Can anyone add  any more insight?

Terry
« Last Edit: June 01, 2005, 10:23:02 am by shovelon »
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2005, 06:34:20 am »
glad you like your build...that's what's important and the ride, of course.

my Oz (lg.) was built for XC a number of years ago, rear Nr-2, Mega~Air..went with quality but not stupid light stuff and even with a Hopey, bike compter, Bell.....it's 28#'s

[smiley=beer.gif]