Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 11, 2024, 09:21:10 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 27
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 47
Total: 47
47 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Razorback swingarm lube question.  (Read 2786 times)

Vance_in_AK.

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Razorback swingarm lube question.
« on: April 27, 2005, 08:06:55 am »
I need the wisdom of all you K2 techs on the board.
I've never dove into the pivots on my 2001 Razorback Team frame before, but it's got about 700 miles on it & is picking up a squeak in the swingarm pivot(Yes, I know you should lube before you hear the squeak).  I want to lube the pivot assembly, but I'm not sure where to start on disassembly.  I have no schematic other than the one off K2's site.
Looks like pull the drive side crank off, remove the allan bolt on the left side holding the pivot in place, push out the shaft(I assume it presses in & out with hand pressure & nothing else holds it) & then I assume, lube the pivot shaft & reassemble.
Can you guys fill me in on the gory details I know I have to be missing?
I've been away from the bike & the forum for a couple of years(used to be Vance in MT.), & it's GOOD to be back to both!
Thanks,Vance.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2005, 08:11:20 am by Vance_in_AK. »

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
Re: Razorback swingarm lube question.
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2005, 09:48:45 am »
Looking at the PDF files it looks like it pivots on 4 bearings and not bushes,I'm not absolutly sure but if it is bearings and your sure the noise is from that area then you may need to replace the 4 bearings.
Simon.
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

rapiddescent

• Master
  • what a ride
    • Rapid Descent Scotland
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2005, 08:36:33 pm »
I haven't done my 2001 razorback yet either - with the old proflexes it was crucial to use a teflon beased grease rather than a oil-based grease.  Can anyone confirm this for the razorback?

callum
rapid descent scotland

K2 hardtail
Orange 5
Santa Cruz Bullit
Cube AMS R29er singlespeed
Brompton folding bike!
Kona Blast

Vance_in_AK.

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2005, 02:50:32 am »
Thanks for the help guys.  My Adobe Acrabat keeps having problems when I try & download anything with text from K2.  I just got rid of the old Adobe, & will try downloading a new version today & see if I can download the service manual then.
Vance

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2005, 03:26:31 am »
That K2 parts store has Girvin Goo. As I recall it was a teflon paste for lubing the bushings.

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

Vance_in_AK.

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2005, 02:34:06 am »
Thanks for the help guys.
I had the right side crank off yesterday making sure the crank/BB taper was clean, so I tried to see if I could simply "push" the pivot axle out(the K2 site says "press".  I assume they mean the machine) after removing the pivot bolt.  No luck.  I didn't unhook the shock, so maybe that was putting pressure on the pivot.  Either way, I didn't have time to go further, so it will wait for another day.  Any more help on this subject?
By the way, I removed & greased the seatpost along with cleaning the cranks, & lost 99% of my creak.  That suprises me, because it would go almost completely away when I would apply the rear lock-out.  I thought I had pretty well isolated it.  
Of course I guess there's a chance that rotating the pivot axle with out removing it helped too.  Hmmm...

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2005, 03:16:16 pm »
glad you got 99% of it...i'll bet the other 1% is still in the seatpost....try cleaining it one more time and see if it's gone...and don't go overboard with the grease there.

[smiley=beer.gif]