Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 10, 2024, 09:14:20 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 42
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 36
Total: 36
36 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Proflex 856 Girvin Vector fork problem  (Read 7538 times)

dafox

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Proflex 856 Girvin Vector fork problem
« on: April 26, 2005, 12:49:13 am »
Hello,

I have recently bought a Proflex 856 from eBay. I need to replace the Yellow rubber suspension on the forks and I'm having great difficulty.

I have removed all the forks but cannot get to or remove the existing hard shock sponge. The sponge is attached to the pivot arm and will not detach. There is a bolt at one end and a moving holder at the other end. The moving holder seems to have a pin at the bottom. Maybe this is where I need to be??

Does anyone know where I'm going wrong? Or could point me to a manual?

rapiddescent

• Master
  • what a ride
    • Rapid Descent Scotland
Re: Proflex 856 Girvin Vector fork problem
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005, 12:59:29 am »

there are a number of things you can do:

1: new MCU's are available though the sticky link for K2 small parts in the forum.

2: the 856 ODS shock is easily tuneable.  I've written a tuning guide PDF for it - it should be on my website but it isn't so I'll upload it tonight and post here.  The 856 shock originally came with a way to dense oil and certainly - the shock will need tuning now on your bike.  It will work plushly and smoothly with a little love and devotion.

3: cut the old MCU's off with a knife.  They'll never work again.  If they don't feel spongey then they're dead.

4: if you have a lot of money then replace ithe shock for a risse unit - nice but not necessary

5: if you are lucky you may find a spring upgrade for the 856 but these are rare and I sold the last few hundred of them before 2002

the 856 is one of the best proflex there ever was.
callum
rd scotland
rapid descent scotland

K2 hardtail
Orange 5
Santa Cruz Bullit
Cube AMS R29er singlespeed
Brompton folding bike!
Kona Blast

dafox

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2005, 01:15:19 am »
Hi there,

Thanks for the quick responce. The only option at the moment is to replace the MCU, if I cut this off how do I get the new one on?

I have already purchased a new MCU for the front at the cost of £20 - quite steep!!

I can send you picture if you like. I just don't see how to replace it?

Thanks again,
Dafox

rapiddescent

• Master
  • what a ride
    • Rapid Descent Scotland
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2005, 01:46:18 am »
oh, you're in the UK.  

There should be two MCU's with a black plastic ring in between them. They are slightly different densities to provide a two-stage spring.

wait until I put the guide up on the web later - it has pictures showing you how to dismantle the shock properly and it'll be worth replacing the damping oil in the shock at the same time.  (cheap to get from from halfords).

The MCU's are cylindrical and should have a hole in the middle.  they just slide off the end of the spindle - when the ODS shock is unbolted from the rear stays.

callum /rds

rapid descent scotland

K2 hardtail
Orange 5
Santa Cruz Bullit
Brompton folding bike!
Kona Blast

dafox

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2005, 01:54:37 am »
Thanks for the PDF tonight, I was trying to fix it though the day if you can remember.

How do you remove the spindle? It moves up and down quite freely, has a small hole at the bottom on both sides but nothing fit's in here to unscrew it.

It also screws round quite freely, does this unscrew?

Or do you remove via the bolt on the other side of the MCU?

Any help would be great, thanks.

rapiddescent

• Master
  • what a ride
    • Rapid Descent Scotland
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2005, 03:06:21 am »

here is a version I just got my other half to email me from home.  It looks fairly up to date but it might not be the latest version - i.e. it has the wrong company name on it!

http://www.proflex.demon.co.uk/docs/x56HHinstructions.pdf

best of luck.
callum
rapid descent scotland
rapid descent scotland

K2 hardtail
Orange 5
Santa Cruz Bullit
Brompton folding bike!
Kona Blast

dafox

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2005, 03:39:02 am »
Thanks for the link.  But I'm struggling to replace the front Yellow MCU and not the rear.

I've managed to remove the pivot but it must be screw locked and there is no way I'm getting a new MCU onto that pivot!

I might have to buy a new pivot or some new shock's. I've already put £180 into the bike from eBay. £20 on a new MCU for the front. It needs 2 x MCU's for the rear, another £40.

Do you think it's worth it on a frame that's 7/8 tears old?

Could I buy some new shock's for the front, if so have you a rough price?

Cheers for all your help so far mate. I'm seriously thinking of canning the buy and put it back on eBay. Any advise is very welcome to this stupid novice.

Ta,
D

Carbonman1

• Apprentice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2005, 04:40:19 am »
Hey DaFox,  Don't give up on the vector just yet.  Removing the elastomers is quite easy.  First, you must remove the shock from the fork itself.  This is done by removing the allen bolt at the top of the shock.  At the bottom, the shock is connected to the fork linkage by a large diameter hollow tube held in place by two pinch bolts on the links themselves.  Loosen the two bolts.  Using a socket wrench of matching diameter to the hollow tube (slightly smaller is actually better) gently tap out the tube.  

With shock removed,  you will see a small gap at the top of the shock near the mounting hole.  Remove the top mounting pin, and in doing so,  you will see that the top cap of the shock is removeable.
Remove the cap, and the rubber bumperball inside.  This will reveal an allen head bolt.  Loosen the bolt and you will feel the shock body start to separate.  Keep going and you are home free.   The nut on the bottom is for preload adjustment.  These instructions are assuming that you have the non oil damped shock.  I hope this helps.

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2005, 10:02:29 pm »
as had been pointed out the 856 is a great xc fs bike it has just the right combination of weight durability,quick handling and suspension respomsiveness.(we re all extremely biased towards bob girvins penultimate xc bike,the 957 was the ultimate strut bike.Clickhere for a k2 tech sheet on changing the oil on your ods unitsThey should be gold coloured with a black knurled preload wheel.There are instructions how to dis assemble the shock with exploded diagrams.Your description sounds like you dont have the ods but the friction damped shock(aluminium coloured with a blue nut right at the bottom,just above the bottom eyelet)Carbonmans description is about as good as you can get.The only thing i can add is you need a long 4mm allen key to get that boltYou cant give up on this bike without riding it.If you really want to have a go lay the bike on its side and pour warm to hot water over the yellow springs,turn the bike over and repeat,the springs should be soft and stay soft for a few days....pump up the tires and hit the trails,find a sketchy uphill and prepare to be amazed......
kiwi proflex rider

rapiddescent

• Master
  • what a ride
    • Rapid Descent Scotland
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2005, 10:13:02 pm »
yeah - I was thinking long the same lines as kiwi.  The Vector ii shock should attack to the headset and NOT the stem. It'll also have a gold coloured ODS shock...

don't give up yet - we've all got plenty of spare parts in our workshops/garages and might be able to help out.

callum
rapid descent scotland

K2 hardtail
Orange 5
Santa Cruz Bullit
Brompton folding bike!
Kona Blast

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2005, 11:20:54 pm »
callum where diid you get to with your razorback frame????
kiwi proflex rider

rapiddescent

• Master
  • what a ride
    • Rapid Descent Scotland
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2005, 11:30:22 pm »
I am not having any luck whatsoever.  I've tried bidding on a few eBay items but trying to convince sellers to send abroad is tricky.

I have built up a 97 Beast with gears to get me buy but I really want a Razorback team/SL whatever frame.

K2 didn't even get back to me :-( when I tried getting in touch with them directly to see if there was somehting I could do.  I might try and convince dave at CVI to get me one.

callum
rapid descent scotland

K2 hardtail
Orange 5
Santa Cruz Bullit
Brompton folding bike!
Kona Blast

junkster

• Journeyman
  • All the engineering expertise of Homer Simpson
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2005, 12:35:00 am »
Hi,
    I'd certainly persevere with the vectors (did a lot of modding myself with these, check out my gallery:

http://idriders.com/cgi-bin/album_k2.pl?album=junkster

but if you are interested I am selling my long easton alloy xlinks with Noleen NR-2 225in/lb coil spring shock (nitro dampening, fully adjustable) with a diy front disc mount and a 2004 Magura Julie front hydraulic discbrake, lever and 180mm rotor, fully working, tried and tested, for £100 plus postage (I am in the UK). They are in great condition and I am only selling as managed to get my hands on some carbon xlink forks:

http://idriders.com/cgi-bin/YaBB_K2/YaBB.pl?board=news;action=display;num=1113575533

Let me know if interested. I can ship abroad but will need sterling cash/bank transfer or similar payment and the postage will obviously cost a little more.

cheers,
Dan [smiley=beer.gif]