Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 05:21:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 38
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 45
Total: 45
45 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Paint Stripper/Sand Blast  (Read 2485 times)

ReBeL

• Novice
    • Kranky Bastards
Paint Stripper/Sand Blast
« on: March 11, 2005, 08:43:49 am »
Hey guys!

I have an 856 ebay project bike on the go and I’ve found out the hard way that stripping off the paint is one tuff job. (it was repainted poorly and in a bad colour) I’m now down to the original paint and it just won’t come off. I’m using LePage - Poly Super Stripper with no luck/progress. I have even tried brake fluid!!!
Is it safe to sandblast the frame? I’m wondering about the aluminum being too soft. Is this a concern? Or is there a paint stripper you recommend?
Thanks

ReBeL
« Last Edit: March 11, 2005, 10:05:02 am by ReBeL »

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
Re: Paint Stripper/Sand Blast
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2005, 06:56:03 pm »
i wouldnt sand blat it may bead blasting is safer for aluminium?
kiwi proflex rider

ReBeL

• Novice
    • Kranky Bastards
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2005, 09:02:25 pm »
I have been plastering the frame with the stripper about every 20 minutes or so all night last night and finally went to bed at 1am.

I woke up to the fact that I need a garage at 4:57 am when the fumes worked their way upstairs. [smiley=bleh.gif]

Its -7C outside and all my widows are open and the bike and stripper are now outside. But on the plus side, it’s done! LoL

It finally worked…after sticking it to the frame for six hours and another 4 soaking in the basement.

I have another question too. I have a friend that wants to paint his frame. It’s a carbon fiber frame but he wants to strip it. Is there a way to remove paint from carbon Fiber or is he just going to have to give it a light sand job/prime/repaint?

Thanks for the help Kiwi!

ReBeL ;D

Dennis

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
    • phatphysics.com
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2005, 11:57:24 pm »
ReBel,

to strip carbon, light sanding is about the only way to do it. I've done/had it done to a couple of frames now. it ain't easy, which is why I did one, and had a painter do the other.

you must sand off the clearcoat/paint, whatever is on there, without scratching the carbon fiber below it. it is tedious, hard work with lots and lots of dust, so you must wear a respirator.

good luck, its rewarding if it comes out right, but takes a long time. for practice, try sanding the clear coat off a carbon bottle cage or something before attempting a whole frame.

[smiley=groucho.gif]

K2 Oz - Blue Crush
Giant MCM Team carbon HT - Momentum
Peugeot PX 10E - 1969
Trek 930 (tourer) - Valkyrie
Calfee Luna Pro - photon
gallery- http://idriders.com/cgi-bin/album_k2.pl?album=Dennis