Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 06, 2024, 01:23:51 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 38
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 48
Total: 48
48 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: if anyone cares, my other bike project  (Read 2512 times)

Dennis

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
    • phatphysics.com
if anyone cares, my other bike project
« on: March 07, 2005, 09:56:27 am »
is restoring my old Peugeot PX-10. I bought this bike new with all the money I had saved up from my summer job as a gate guard at the village beach during the summer of 69 (the "summer of love", also I have always felt that 69 was the year that everythihng changed somehow: Tet offensive, moon landing, etc, but that's another story for another time).

It was the summer between 8th and 9th grade for me. A few days after I got it, a friend of mine (he had a Peugeot UO-8, I always had to have the coolest bike around!) rode from LI to Northern Conn. It was, if I remember correctly, 3 days each way. The plan was to go to Vermont, but we didn't have enough time. We stayed in youth hostels and had a great time. In later years, I rode the Peugeot many, many miles. the other big trip was to Newport, RI. Had to hitch a ride with bike across the Newport bridge. Even got to Block Island with it.

The last time I rode it (can't remember when), one of the pedal cages came off the axle, and got lost. so, it became unridable, but I kept it around figuring that I would restore it one day. well, that day has come.

I have just located everything I need for the restoration, except for a rear skewer whose handle and plastic cone nut are broken.

I am very excited because I was able to find all the decals I need. ok, so the peugeot decals are from 1974, and the Reynolds decals are from 1972. They are identical to what are on my bike. I just ordered them. Its amazing, you can find almost anything on the internet. even found NOS pedals. what stunned me was the most was that I found a site that listed NOS bicycle brakes from 1937!! astounding.

anyway, I will keep you all up to date on this restoration, and may post pics from time to time, if you care to see this. I just got a bike stand so I can finally do alot of the work myself. much more fun to do whatever I can than let someone else do it. I even got felt polishing wheels and compound for my Dremel so I can polish up the metal bits myself.

wish me luck! I think this thing is going to be awesome once again. This was my freedom machine throughout high school and college. I remember many a great ride through Vermont in the fall with the leaves in full color as I rode to get in shape for skiing. ah!! memories!!

anyone have any comments, or any memories of a great old bike that you would like to share?

[smiley=groucho.gif]
« Last Edit: March 07, 2005, 11:18:10 am by Dennis »
K2 Oz - Blue Crush
Giant MCM Team carbon HT - Momentum
Peugeot PX 10E - 1969
Trek 930 (tourer) - Valkyrie
Calfee Luna Pro - photon
gallery- http://idriders.com/cgi-bin/album_k2.pl?album=Dennis

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
Re: if anyone cares, my other bike project
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2005, 10:30:19 am »
I had TWO, one replaced a Schwinn Varsity and the other replaced the Peugeot that was stolen. was blue the only color??

I always wanted an "alpine gear". But looking back I did some pretty long treks on that bike..all with no helmet, gloves, just toe clips, sneakers and jeans. Had a book rack on the back and that's where i'd put my sandwiches and cokes. I think I had a Zefal pump and a patch kit...that was it.

used wd-40 on the chain :o
and eveywhere else
cleaned parts with carb. cleaner

I'd take the bike(s) apart every year and rebuild them. I'd get as far as the crank, but stripped everything else off. I always lost bearings and had to replace.

when i got my dirvers license it all came to an end until about 7 years ago..with a rigid Specialized rockhopper

[smiley=beer.gif]
thanks for bringing back some memories, Dennis
« Last Edit: March 07, 2005, 10:30:58 am by CARBON_ANGUS »

Dennis

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
    • phatphysics.com
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2005, 11:17:49 am »
Carbon,

are you saying you had two PX-10s? as for color, mine is white, as where all the PX-10s for a few years, as far as I can tell. had a rack on the back of mine too, and a kick stand. don't know if I kept them, I will have to look around.

memories, yeah, lots of 'em floating around. after my PX-10 'died', I didn't bike until I got my Trek 930 (reborn as Valkyrie) about 10 years ago or so.

have a good night,

[smiley=groucho.gif]

[smiley=beer.gif]
« Last Edit: March 07, 2005, 11:18:51 am by Dennis »
K2 Oz - Blue Crush
Peugeot PX 10E - 1969
Calfee Luna Pro - photon

Dennis

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
    • phatphysics.com
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2005, 02:03:26 pm »
sorry to write so much, but here is another update.

the Reynolds 531 decals I ordered are in English, turns out I should have looked at the bike again. the ones on the bike are, of course duh, in French.

oh well, I guess I will have to return those and look for French ones.

[smiley=groucho.gif] [smiley=diaper.gif]
K2 Oz - Blue Crush
Peugeot PX 10E - 1969
Calfee Luna Pro - photon

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2005, 06:41:06 pm »
reynolds 531 would be the same in french wouldnt it???????Hope it all goes well dennis and those memories are refreshed!
kiwi proflex rider

Dennis

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
    • phatphysics.com
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2005, 11:43:12 pm »
reynolds 531 would be the same in french wouldnt it???????

Kiwi, you have a point there, but there is other writing on the decals. For instance, the fork decals say "forks" in English and on the Peugeots, forks is in French. the frame decal also says "frame tubes" and other stuff, on the Peugeots this was also in French. apparently, bike makers in other countries used the English language Reynolds decals, whereas the French makers insisted on French language decals. of course, Reynolds 531 is Reynolds 531 in any language, but the other wording needs to be in the correct language.

[smiley=groucho.gif]
K2 Oz - Blue Crush
Peugeot PX 10E - 1969
Calfee Luna Pro - photon

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2005, 04:02:31 am »
Carbon,

are you saying you had two PX-10s? as for color, mine is white, as where all the PX-10s for a few years, as far as I can tell. had a rack on the back of mine too, and a kick stand. don't know if I kept them, I will have to look around.

memories, yeah, lots of 'em floating around. after my PX-10 'died', I didn't bike until I got my Trek 930 (reborn as Valkyrie) about 10 years ago or so.

have a good night,

[smiley=groucho.gif]

[smiley=beer.gif]

OOPS! my memory....fails again [smiley=worry.gif] [smiley=laughing.gif]

they were UO-8's!!! :'(
thanks fo rthe memories, though

[smiley=beer.gif]

Dennis

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
    • phatphysics.com
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2005, 05:07:50 am »

OOPS! my memory....fails again [smiley=worry.gif] [smiley=laughing.gif]

they were UO-8's!!! :'(
[smiley=beer.gif]

oh, ok, just as I thought, you were one of those UO8 guys!!  [smiley=laughing.gif] [smiley=laughing.gif]

j/k

have a good day

[smiley=groucho.gif]
K2 Oz - Blue Crush
Peugeot PX 10E - 1969
Calfee Luna Pro - photon