Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 08, 2024, 03:24:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 53
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 59
Total: 59
59 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Simon, sealed bearing conversion q.  (Read 2864 times)

Dennis

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
    • phatphysics.com
Simon, sealed bearing conversion q.
« on: February 13, 2005, 08:56:54 am »
Simon,

I have decided to do a sealed bearing conversion on my Oz's swingarm, as per your wonderful lead.

I found the parts list in the files section of the forum, but I wonder if you put a drawing of the custom machined "axle" somewhere. Did you also put a file containing directions on what size hole needs to be reamed and all that stuff?

I know that people have asked you all this stuff before, but if you could bear with me and help me through this, I would appreciate it.

My Oz may also be getting the new FSA mega-exo bottom bracket and crankset. this similar to the new Shimano hollow tech cranks and bb. It puts sealed bearings outboard of the bb shell, and allows for use of a 24mm bb axle. this is a much stronger system than the current style with the bearings inside the bb shell. very interesting.

thanks again, Simon.

[smiley=groucho.gif]
K2 Oz - Blue Crush
Giant MCM Team carbon HT - Momentum
Peugeot PX 10E - 1969
Trek 930 (tourer) - Valkyrie
Calfee Luna Pro - photon
gallery- http://idriders.com/cgi-bin/album_k2.pl?album=Dennis

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
Re: Simon, sealed bearing conversion q.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2005, 09:25:06 am »
Hi Dennis,all the drawings and instructions you need should be in the files section (the drawing shows a 20mm thread each end I've now updated to 25mm of thread),the picture of the components in my gallery show 2X 2mm shims and 4X 1mm shims,I now use 4X 2mm shims,all the other components should also be listed there,I don't have the diameter size for the s/arm I just carefully reamed them out (with the pinch bolt very lightly tightened) until the bearings slid in nicely,I'm just off on a course and wont be back until friday I'll gather more info for you when I get back,your also in luck I've just had 2 axles made up (going to do Mega-Oz's bike in the near future plus a spare),perhaps we can sort one out for you,
Simon.
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

Dennis

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
    • phatphysics.com
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2005, 09:57:49 am »
Simon,
ok, found your drawings and stuff. don't know why I didn't see them earlier.

if you could get me a through shaft (I'll pay), that would be really cool.

have fun at your course,

[smiley=groucho.gif]
K2 Oz - Blue Crush
Peugeot PX 10E - 1969
Calfee Luna Pro - photon

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2005, 05:14:09 pm »
Simon,

Please elaborate on how you reamed out your pivot holes. What machinery or tooling? I am interested in performing the mod.

Dennis, want to do a collaboration of some sort?

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

Dennis

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
    • phatphysics.com
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2005, 04:34:41 am »
Terry,
sure, sounds like a good idea. maybe we could share information, seeing that we are separated by a good bit of ocean.

but, I would welcome the opportunity to share info and insights with you.

[smiley=groucho.gif]
K2 Oz - Blue Crush
Peugeot PX 10E - 1969
Calfee Luna Pro - photon

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2005, 05:50:10 am »
Dennis,

Actually I am in L.A.
I would need parts. Maybe you would need tooling and  material.

With Simon in the lead, we could'nt go wrong.

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
McMahon FS

Dennis

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
    • phatphysics.com
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2005, 07:11:37 am »
Terry,
well, if you go the other way, we are separated by ocean, or if you look at it another way we are separated by oceans of wheat and corn.

oh well.

cool, I am sure we will both benefit by working "together" and you're right, with Simon's help we should be able to get it worked out.

thanks for the advice on the rear shock. think I will to find an 8.25" shock. if they're being made, one will appear on ebay. I notice that there are bunch of different size swinger 3 and 4 way shocks on ebay right now. unfortunately, its like every length but 8.25 is currently listed.

[smiley=groucho.gif]
« Last Edit: February 14, 2005, 07:12:00 am by Dennis »
K2 Oz - Blue Crush
Peugeot PX 10E - 1969
Calfee Luna Pro - photon

Otto Shill

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2005, 02:40:11 am »
I'm interested in the conversion too.  Will it stop the lateral flex in the carbon swingarm?

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2005, 03:00:33 am »
Otto,

I don't think so. Simon swapped out his carbon rear for an alum one to get rid of the lateral flex. I want to do it for the cool factor.

Terry

OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
McMahon FS

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2005, 02:23:08 am »
OK I'm back :P and the 856 frame has arrived, roll on next project. [smiley=laughing.gif]
Dennis no problem,the shaft cost me £10 so if you wish to convert it in to $ plus postage and the price is acceptable to you then send me your address and I'll post it straight away,we can sort out the payment later.
Terry I've attached a pic of the (adjustable)reamer being used,yes its old but it does the job,infact I use 2,one smaller to start with as the 1 in the pic doesn't adjust small enough to start with,the most important thing is perfect alinement for obvious reasons,note the tapered guide used on 1 side for this, also prior to reaming I pack out the pinch bolt gap with a suitable spacer (with a O/S diameter that won't interfere with the reamer during the process) and then nip up the pinch bolts,for the absolute best results get the pivots machined at your local machine shop.

A couple of mods I've carried out,first I increased the thread in the shaft from 20mm to 25mm each end to eliminate the possibility of the bolt bottoming out,also another mod I've done is instead of making up the shims I bought 4 Ti washers with an I/D of 10mm and 1.6mm wide,I had the hole machined out to 12mm these work a treat,the overall width of 3.2mm(instead of 4mm) per side was fine,don't use 12mm I/D washers the I/D is critical and washers are not accurate enough,
Before installing anything make sure the M8X20mm flanged bolts screw all the way in and the flange butts up against the shaft,if it doesn't (its been known)then the bolt probably has a small shoulder on it at the flange end,if so drill out a very small bit of thread in the shaft to allow the shoulder to enter the shaft (don't forget to run a M8 thread tap down it to clean things up),
I assemble everything up with lots of anti seize,everything should fit together with a nice sliding fit,
before assembly make sure pivot through the frame has no burrs etc in it,make sure the shaft can slide through it without any play,if its tight get an M8 nut and bolt with nut on the bolt, screw the bolt in to the shaft a little then wind down the nut and lightly lock,put the bolt head in a drill (secured in a vice)and run it,using some very fine wet and dry paper hold it on the spinning shaft,this just cleans it up a bit and gives a smooth finish,re try until it fits with very little effort,same goes for the bearing and shim fit onto the shaft,
when every thing is assembled torque the flanged bolts against each other to 20lbsft (do both bolts)then aline the s/arm centrally using a tape measure (as it can slide from side to side at the moment) then tighten lightly the pinch bolts (not to tight as the clamping pressure could damage the bearings) I also use a bit of loctite 242 (medium strength)on the pinch bolts,
hope this is of some help,Simon.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2005, 07:23:46 am by Simon »
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,