Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 09, 2024, 11:20:06 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 62
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 32
Total: 32
32 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Always nice to get a deal...  (Read 2135 times)

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
Always nice to get a deal...
« on: February 11, 2005, 03:07:36 pm »
Just picked up this gem on ebay for $36.

It's a Manitou Six. I was expecting bottom of the line, preload adjustment only, but as it turns out, it is an oil-damped fork with externally adjustable rebound damping. Can't find a manual that corresponds to it on Manitou's website, but I did take it all apart and clean it up. Now it's functioning quite smoothly. Even matches the silver frame of my single speed, where it now resides!

Now, if only I could figure out how to adjust the travel. Supposedly, the Six from this model year (which is somewhere between 2002 and 2004) should have 80 or 100mm travel (internally adjustable), but I couldn't figure it out. The pics on Manitou's website were woefully inadequate and didn't correspond to this particular fork anyway (I looked at ALL of them). I think it may be an OEM variation, but I'm hoping that the travel is adjustable (I'd like to at least try the 100mm setting even though the 80mm setting seems about perfect for my hardtail SS). If anyone knows anything about it, let me know!

What great deals have you found lately? I got a new set of Ritchey WCS SpeedMax tires for $20 recently, as well as a brand new pair of Nashbar clipless pedals for $4. (Incidentally, they function much better - smoother bearings and smoother release - than my old Shimano M434s, which I sold for $40!)
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

tmaybee

• Master
  • Go ride!
Re: Always nice to get a deal...
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2005, 05:14:36 am »
That looks like a great fork.  What's the weight on it?

Deals...

28h set of Hugi hubs for $56
Girvin barends about $6  (thanks for the help Terry!)
2 28h 395g rims about $17
46T 8s XTR chainring w/ integrated spider $26

and non-bike related

10 55w bulbs for my foglights for $9 shipped ... they are about $7 for one in stores.

I love deals.   [smiley=nod.gif]

Cheers,
Trevor