Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 04, 2024, 04:12:50 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 30
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 40
Total: 40
40 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: need advice on building up 4500 frame  (Read 2913 times)

chainsaw

• Apprentice
  • 5500, 5000, Rans Recumbent, Raleigh SuperCourse
    • My FJ60 Land Cruiser
need advice on building up 4500 frame
« on: December 26, 2004, 03:09:57 am »
I bought a mint condition 4500 frame (frame & swing arm only) over a year ago. I still haven't built it up yet, but am thinking I might be ready to, soon. I would put about $1500 worth of components on it including everything. (Marzocchi, Stratos Expert, disk brakes, tubeless tires, full XT with some XTR

I have two questions:

1.If I do go to all this expense, I will be disapointed if it turns out to be one of those carbon frames that creaks. how likely is that to happen?

2. I like the idea of having something different... and I take it that this particular frame was way ahead of its time. do the members of this forum still think it holds its own here in 2005, 7 years after it was introduced, when compared to modern frames?

PS: I weigh 210, am 6'2", ride the large frame, and ride cross country mountain bike trails in Texas. I advanced technical skills. but am not an expert. I like my 5000 k2.

thanks
« Last Edit: December 26, 2004, 03:11:42 am by chainsaw »
-'98 Proflex K2 5500 Marzocchi forks, Stratos Expert shock, Thomson seatpost,  XTR shifters, XT rapid rise, XTR front der., Hope XC hubs, Mavic UST 819, Wierwolf tubless tires, XT crank, Avid Mechs

Ionit

• Journeyman
  • Ionit
Re: need advice on building up 4500 frame
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2004, 04:04:40 am »
I also have a carbon frame the only difference being, mine is a medium. Any noise resounding from the frame should be a faint click or creak. When I notice this I either have tightened the main pivot bolt to much or I haven't tightened the Bottom Bracket Bolt enough. As long as you build it with care, following proper bolt tork instructions, it should be fine.
It was always my presumption that the sound resounding from Carbon Monocoque frames was an indication that something was not up to spec on your frame. The carbon chassis itself is not producing the sound only amplifying other sounds that were transmitted  by derailleur, bb’s, chain, cables, pivots.

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2004, 06:28:27 am »
I have a Large size Oz M. I do get some creaking on occassion which primarily comes from the cable guides flexing in the holders. I put some teflon lube on them and the cables and do a once over at the shock bolts, seat post clamp and seat rails. The creak usually goes away and off I go.

As far as having something different, I love the stares I get when I am on the trail or in the parking lot. And I agree that the bike was way ahead of it's time. Kind of dumb that K2 went away from that design when you see alot of bke companies going this way and putting stable platform shocks on thier bikes. I have a stable platform shock on my Oz and could'nt be happier with the results. I rate my Oz as good or better than  the best out there at a fraction of the cost.

When I first built up the bike 2 years agp, I went as light as I could afford. With the carbon crosslinks and xtr hubs on mavic 517s, and titanium spindle clipless, I got  the bike down to 24.5 lb. Since then I have gone up in wheel travel and the weight  is up to 26.5 Lbs. Not bad for 6.5 inches in the rear and 5 inches in the front. Both front and rear is stable platform and the bike pedals like a featherwieght.

I bought an Evo 4 frame on this site recently and am planning to build it up as a spare. I will swap some parts from my Oz to it and purchase air shock and Maverick fork with front disk brake for the Oz. This will allow me to get the bike below 25lbs and have a full 6 inches front and rear of stable platform travel.

So go for it in my opinion,

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2004, 09:23:53 am »
1 No you won't be disappointed.

2 Yes.

3 Have alook in the galleries at what can be achieved,look at Op,Shovelon,Dennis (Blue crush),mega-oz,mine Simon and other's I've failed to mention, you'll be suprised at what can be achived got mine running now at around 25 to 25.5lbs with 4" travel F/R with alloy s/arm, sealed pivot bearings,F/R disc's, custom floating rear brake system,
you won't be disappointed with it.
Simon.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2004, 09:38:39 am by Simon »
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2004, 10:38:48 am »
I think the frame is a timeless work of art, but I also think it is a little past it's prime performance wise.

Don't forget the carbon handlebar ;D

[smiley=beer.gif]

Old Proflexer

• Guru
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2004, 12:03:57 am »
if it creaks, its because somethings not tight or properly lubed - plain a simple.

bike manufacturers are still trying to improve on the design but just seem to make different and not necessarily better.  when the new shocks came out about 3-4 years ago, all the guys that had them and sold them wished they would have kept them and simply upgraded the shock.

in my book, it's like owning an older style corvette -

OP
Yeah, they don't make 'em anymore - it's a classic - - -

chainsaw

• Apprentice
  • 5500, 5000, Rans Recumbent, Raleigh SuperCourse
    • My FJ60 Land Cruiser
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2004, 12:30:29 am »
Simon, how did you acheive a sealed pivot?  I have to overhaul mine more than once a year, or it squeaks loudly over every little rock... I do get it wet, but don't apply any water under pressure to that area. can the stock Eaton carbon fiber pivot be sealed somehow, or use sealed bearings????

thanks to everyone for their replies!
-'98 Proflex K2 5500 Marzocchi forks, Stratos Expert shock, Thomson seatpost,  XTR shifters, XT rapid rise, XTR front der., Hope XC hubs, Mavic UST 819, Wierwolf tubless tires, XT crank, Avid Mechs

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2004, 12:57:31 am »
Simon, how did you acheive a sealed pivot?  I have to overhaul mine more than once a year, or it squeaks loudly over every little rock... I do get it wet, but don't apply any water under pressure to that area. can the stock Eaton carbon fiber pivot be sealed somehow, or use sealed bearings????

thanks to everyone for their replies!

Yes all dimensions are the same,I've also converted 2 carbon arm's,1 for sprucey and 1 for proflex GB and am currently doing 1 for my son's Oz,all the info should be in the files section and some in my gallery,if your serious about doing a conversion and you want full details let me know and I'll advise as best as I can,note a little machining/reaming of the s/arm is required.
Simon.
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

Thunderchild

• Master
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2004, 02:55:09 am »
I will keep my answer simple.  I have a 5000 and I have an Oz.  The 5000 collects the most dust sitting in the stable.  I was going to use it as the winter bike, but I like my Fox shock on the back of my Oz.  Disc brakes front and rear on both also.
Had: 953, 756
Have:
855 cracked frame
Oz
Evo frame

Dennis

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
    • phatphysics.com
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2004, 03:39:09 am »
Chainsaw,

answers to your questions:

1.not very
2.a little dated, but works wonderfully (just because newer designs have come out, doesn't mean the older ones automatically stop working) and most people I meet think its the newest, coolest thing they have ever seen.

I would build it up with the best parts you can find. The Oz is an amazingly cool bike. I built mine up with "obsolete" parts that are mostly no longer being made like Precision Billet deraillieurs and brakes, Spinergy Rev X wheels, etc. Most people think that all the parts are new, prototype parts. Seems that when things get old, they get new again.

Build the Oz the best you can, you will not be sorry. just be careful not to leave it where it can be taken.

Terry, please let us know when you get the maverick fork and please let us know how it works. I have been eyeing the maverick fork for a while. It supposedly works real well and I think it would look amazing on the Oz.

[smiley=groucho.gif]
« Last Edit: December 30, 2004, 04:44:08 am by Dennis »
K2 Oz - Blue Crush
Giant MCM Team carbon HT - Momentum
Peugeot PX 10E - 1969
Trek 930 (tourer) - Valkyrie
Calfee Luna Pro - photon
gallery- http://idriders.com/cgi-bin/album_k2.pl?album=Dennis

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
Re: geometry of 4500 frame
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2004, 09:42:17 am »
I had been coveting a Santa Cruz Blur for a long time, but my buddy who sells them convinced me otherwise. The ride IS nice, but there are just too many pivots. He said they all start to squeak sooner or later.

However, he did highly recommend the new Cannondale Prophet, which, if you look at the design has exactly the same pivot point as the EVO frame! (As does their Gemini). Hmmm... Single pivot, 5.5" travel, 27+ lbs,... sounds VERY familiar!!! (The original reports I read said it was a 24lb bike, but the truth is that in order to get that weight on a stock bike, you have to drop about $6000 - according to my LBS buddy). I still don't feel like my bike is outdated at all. One of these days, I'd like to install a stable platform valve rear shock, and maybe try a 5" fork someday, but that's the only change I plan on making for a long time. (Although I wouldn't mind a stiffer swingarm - the carbon ones are pretty darn flexy). For now, my Stratos Pro/Manitou X-vert suspended frame is serving me quite well... 8)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2004, 09:44:23 am by matno »
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

Carbon_Kiwi

• Master
    • Aotearoa Web Design
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2005, 07:13:57 pm »
well it's been a while - but i'm back in the saddle of my oZ [in a new city no less] where the riding is just primo. i have to say i have put in some serious hours on it during the holiday season.
i luv my oZ. unless it breaks or some low-life steals it - i ain't gonna go to a new ride, simple as that.
yeah, mine is creaking a bit at the mo - it just needs a little torque/lube attention. i've been too busy riding it lately. normally it's as quiet as [quieter than my 957 was].
oh, and i have yet to see another oZ [at all] in my neck of the woods, so how's that for exclusive.
ProFlex 957 [retired - but she will be back...]
K2 Oz - I LOVE my Oz   [smiley=nod.gif]
Giant OCR-0
Diamond Back Apex
Specialized Source Eleven