Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 06, 2024, 09:19:05 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 18
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 33
Total: 33
33 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: My floating disc brake system  (Read 4092 times)

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
Re: My floating disc brake system
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2004, 04:19:04 am »
Kiwi think there's a slight misunderstanding here :-[,I agree with you about the similarities in looks as you've pointed out in my design with the LTK long travel system (first time I'd seen it is when you posted it),its Shovelon's idea that I thought in my minds eye may differ abit more but I may be wrong as we've yet to see it,though yes it will have the same main linkage eg between s/arm and the top shock frame mount but the shock mount is moved,I think ??? Thinking about it your probabaly right on both accounts,we just need someone to build it so we can have a look,eh shovelon [smiley=laughing.gif],thanks for the compliment its very much appreciated.
Simon
« Last Edit: November 15, 2004, 06:20:59 am by Simon »
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2004, 01:59:25 pm »

Crude but effective, thanks to Junior! The idea is to add to what Simon has already achieved. Sorry for the quality but I felt it was prudent to post quickly.

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2004, 06:26:11 pm »
yes simon you are right.The system that you and terry are discussing is NOT like the ltk...the ONLY similarity is the colour,take no notice of my superficial ramblings        mutter mutter mutter mutter......
kiwi proflex rider

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2004, 04:18:25 am »
Terry thats more or less what I thought you had in mind,
Now we may need a mathamation for this,
as the top shock pivot has moved back the suspension ratio has changed ???
also have to be carefull as the s/arm goes up so does the top shock mount even mounted close to the pivot??? there obviously needs to a difference between the 2 with s/arm moving the greater distance otherwise the shock would barely compress,does this mean you will have a varying suspension ratio ???also the damping valving and spring rate may have to change to suit,probabaly a full width bearing will be required between the original mounting plates plus uprate to an M8 bolt,
the good news I think if this worked out correctly there would be an increase in suspension travel even using a shorter stroke shock,also as you first mentioned an increase in rigidity at the torsion arm anchor point,do these points make any sense or am I on the wrong track with this system ???All in all I think this could turn out to be an amazing idea.
On another note here's apic of my redesigned floating caliper pivot mount,hope it makes sense.Simon.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2004, 07:13:09 am by Simon »
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2004, 02:42:41 am »
Hmmm,

Good observations. As the strut moves up about 110 mm at the axle, the floating shock mount shall also move up. The amount may be about 3 mm. Thus the ratio being about 2.5 to 1 from shock to axle, this woiuld increase overall travel by maybe 7 mm.  I see this as a benefit.

A liitle more proload on the spring and another click on the rebound knob should do it. The trick is to keep that new shock location as close as possible to the original mount unless more travel is actually desired.

This could work for me(I like travel [smiley=nod.gif]) but I would need to add the floating brake mount to my carbon swingarm. Maybe a bolt on scenario?????

Terry

OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2004, 05:06:03 am »
Terry you could do a bolt on system this would give the benefit of being able to revert back to standard if things don't workout,however even though you have a carbon s/arm you can still weld in the stub if you so wished,I've had 2 lots of welding (far more than required for the stub)done on a carbon arm dropout with no ill affects,
think you should make a start on this eh ???  [smiley=laughing.gif]
Simon