Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 12, 2024, 03:17:40 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 27
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 26
Total: 26
26 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: onepointfive forks  (Read 2930 times)

crazyaggie05

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
onepointfive forks
« on: September 22, 2004, 11:59:37 am »
hey guys, i gotta 01 disco monkey and im looking to replace that crappy noleen fork. ive been looking at the z150 or zr1, and also the sherman firefly and sherman breakout. i noticed the breakout has a 1.5 in steer tube? im guessing that wont fit on my bike right? or is there some kind of adapter or something i dunno about? im kinda new to alot of this stuff. waht do yall think is a good replacement?

Kevins19

• Apprentice
    • Online Portfolio
Re: onepointfive forks
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2004, 02:02:51 pm »
Yeah, you are correct the "onepointfive" 1.5" is the new heavy duty standard they are starting to come out with. Its is really only used on a few downhill and freeride type bikes. Cross country bikes don't really need the added strength. And a matter of fact i'm not sure downhillers / freeriders really need it either. If your bike had a 1.5" headtube you could get reducers that allow you to run a 1.125" standard fork. But you can't go the other way. Also not that the forks listed have a bit more travel and will effect your geometry... making the bike a little slacker in the steering separtment. Now, I run a boxxer on my EVO and it is pretty raked out. It took a bit to get used to, but I prefer my bike that way now.

Check out my gallery to see the angle of my front fork:

http://idriders.com/cgi-bin/album_k2.pl?album=Kevins19

Personally, Of the forks you listed, I would get the Manitou Sherman Firefly. It has SPV Damping and the Ti springs. Make sure you get the correct one though because it ia available with the standard 1.125" steerer and the 1.5". That and I prefer Manitou over zookie! Maybe go to a bike shop and try out bikes with those forks. Either way they are all good forks. So you should be happy with any of the ones listed. Minus the Breakout because it won't fit of course!

Kevins19

• Apprentice
    • Online Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2004, 02:27:43 pm »
Ok, after checking out Manitou's web site it says the firefly is offered only in 1 1/8" (1.125") steerer, and at Jensonusa they say they have it in 1.5 and 1.125". You might want to call around and confirm its steerer size.

Also, remember that the forks you listed use 20mm thru axles so you will need to get a new front hub that is 20mm thru axle compatible. I would recommend the Sun ABBAH SOS DH. I have had mine for over two years and never had to rebuild it at all. And I beat the crap out of it! Its like a tank. and about average in price.

crazyaggie05

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2004, 04:01:03 pm »
cool, t hanks guys. i can keep my current wheels and have a shop put the new hub on right? and my avid discs will work as well?

Kevins19

• Apprentice
    • Online Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2004, 04:22:56 pm »
No Problem... thats what were are here for! 8)

Oh, yeah. Any bike shop should be able to tear down your wheel and build it back up with a new hub. Now, you might have to get different spokes since not all hubs are the same size. You know... like some have higher sides (Flanges) that use shorter spokes, etc. So don't be suprised if they tell you you need those to. About the disc brakes just make sure the hub you get is 20mm thru axle and disc compatible. (Just to ket you know you will be hard pressed to find a 20mm hub that isnt disc compatible)

BTW - If you don't already know about them tese are some good online bike stores that I have bought far to much stuff from! [smiley=nod.gif]

www.cambriabike.com <---(this place is usually the cheapest)
www.pricepoint.com
www.jensonusa.com
www.wheelworld.com
« Last Edit: September 22, 2004, 04:23:19 pm by Kevins19 »

crazyaggie05

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2004, 05:13:43 pm »
thanks a lot guys, i found a nib firfly for sale, so im lookin at that. its an 04 model so it has svp and is the 130mm version. that sounds like a great fork. i think i might get it, oh and the price is great. thanks again!

numbnuts

• Master
  • no problem
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2004, 02:05:52 am »
I think the shermans have some form of lock down and I know the marzocchi's do. It is useful to be able to lower the front if you climb much! The z150 is very tall for a single crown fork, probably about the same as the boxxer so it will really slacken the head angle. I have a z1 fr [130mm] and I don't think I'd want to go any higher than that. I am guessing that the firefly is a similar crown-axle size, should be fun if you bomb downhills or do any drops.

Shaggy

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2004, 06:24:01 pm »
Just a comment on changing the angle of the headtube...it will definitely slacken the angle, resulting in slower steering.  If I remember what I read (when I bought the frame from Supergo a couple years ago, the EVO frame is designed to accomodate a 3"-5" fork).  
I've got a 2002 Z1 FR (130mm) but...I also went to a 8.5" i2i Vanilla RC (thank you IFO) in the rear.  I believe raising the back ultimately cancelled raising the front, so I have a geometry fairly close to stock.  Another 'but' here...the whole bike is raised higher by that combined amount.  Obstacle clearance is great yes and it's a plush ride, but if I know that the riding involves technical aspects (off camber switchbacks amongst other things), I choose to ride the hardtail.  Then I seem to bash the pedals on roots and rocks b/c the BB seems so low on the hardtail.  It's all a trade off, just a matter of what you prefer and what type of riding you do...
For a comparison of head angles, check out a pic of my bike...
http://idriders.com/cgi-bin/album_k2.pl?photo=Shaggy/Mvc138x.jpg
« Last Edit: September 26, 2004, 06:40:26 pm by Shaggy »

IFO

• Journeyman
  • Is A-line open yet?
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2004, 02:40:41 pm »
your welcome.... [smiley=beer.gif]

i'm still lurking.... :-X

if i cry a tear everyday till A-line re-opens i'll have a lake in my house...8-(