Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 12, 2024, 11:19:34 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 23
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 20
Total: 20
20 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: help 1996 957 rear shock  (Read 2426 times)

rising1000

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
help 1996 957 rear shock
« on: September 29, 2004, 01:53:18 am »
i just literally destroyed shock
does anyone know where one can buy the
noleen rear shock for a 1996 957
this is the one with the pivot point above and behind the crank

I live in Toronto canada my first choice is cdn but  desperate this bike doesn t work now

also where can one get a new front shock for the girvin elite thks

much appreciated
:)

tmaybee

• Master
  • Go ride!
Re: help 1996 957 rear shock
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2004, 06:05:15 am »
HI there.  If you really like your bike, go with a Risse unit from Bill Larson.   Just do a search on the forum and you will find his email  in a spam protected format.

An astro 5 will run you about $160 USD.  A Genesis, which is lighter and works great for me will probably be about $130.  He is a great guy to deal with and I usually give him a tip because his prices are so low and also to help cover paypal fees.

I am in Belleville myself and sometimes ride the Don in Toronto. Is that where you ride mostly?  

As a sidenote on Bill's service,  I have Hugi hubs and they need special freehub grease.  I contacted EVERY bike shop from Toronto to Ottawa and eventually Lambert (the wholesaler in Quebec) and none of them would get me the special grease and most had not heard of it.... they would be happy to sell or service my hubs though (with regular grease and ruin them).  Bill took the time to find and order the grease for me when no one else would.  I had even tried some worldwide distributors.

Back on topic....  for a noleen unit, you could try to contact K2 Canada directly,  I have the phone number somewhere if you need it, or watch ebay.  K2 is great for getting parts.  The problem is the LBSs do not want to order them for you.

Cheers,
Trevor

junkster

• Journeyman
  • All the engineering expertise of Homer Simpson
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2004, 08:36:25 am »

sammydog

• Master
    • Hunter Mountainbike Association
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2004, 10:25:07 pm »
Do you know if Bill Larson ships worldwide? I would't mind an astro 5 to replace the Genesis on mine. I have no problems with the Genesis except it isn't actually the proflex model and I am not overly happy with my current adapters.

$160US sounds very good for an astro, the risse website lists them for $298.

It is interesting to hear you say that k2 may have noleens. I contacted k2 in the US a few years ago and all they could offer me was the elastomers as they no longer supported Noleen. I may have to contact them again myself.

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2004, 11:09:09 pm »
I have always wondered if the risse shocks with the cone ends would fit the earlier bikes.I have asked risse this quetion to no avail .I think the 97 models have the cone ends but the '6,s have the freedom plate and the '5,s no extra adapter at all do they.Obviously if you want to try the cone type adapter on a '5 you will need to have a '6 strut

The other avenues are cvi or noleen
I would be surprised if Bill Larson didnt ship..suggest usps for the freight they will prolly be the cheapest esp if you arent in a hurry
kiwi proflex rider

sammydog

• Master
    • Hunter Mountainbike Association
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2004, 11:15:56 pm »
I've often wondered the same thing about the cone end. Both my 955 and 855 came with the x56 strut with the cone insert. I don't think I would go for the cone end shock unless I had heard of it working on someone elses.

I don't mind using a bike with a fredom plate, I'm just not happy with my home made job.