Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 16, 2024, 05:23:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 35
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 32
Total: 32
32 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Polishing Crank Arms?  (Read 2007 times)

Kevins19

• Apprentice
    • Online Portfolio
Polishing Crank Arms?
« on: September 19, 2004, 02:45:25 pm »
Well, I am doing rebuild on my bike. I am getting New EBC Extreme (Gold) Pads for my Hayes, ODI Ruffian Lockon grips, WTB Speed V Seat (I broke my $5.00 bargain bin seat from the LBS!) [smiley=disbelief.gif], I am moving my Tioga factory DH 2.3 from the front to the rear and getting a Intense 909 2.5" for the front, and finally a Azonic World Force DH riser Bar. All parts in spolished.

Everybody out there is doing the all black thing, and I am getting kinda tired of it if you ask me. So I am going all silver / polished parts. Just like in the early 90's where there really wasn't any black parts! I think it will look good with my flat black frame. But I am also thinking of stripping that down and polishing it up a bit, not high polish like chrome, but just not flat aluminum.

Anyway, The only thing on my bike that wont be silver / polished will be my Shimano LX hollowtech crank. Which is a blueish color and will look completely out of place.  And, after a year or so of use some of the paint has rubbed off on the arms down to the aluminum from my shoes and from continued rubbing has polished the worn off section, To a mirror like finish.

My question is what would be the easiest / best way to take the rest of the paint off an polish the rest of it.

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
Re: Polishing Crank Arms?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2004, 11:17:54 pm »
I dont know but it gives me an excuse to post a pic of one of those old school polished bikes.....hah!

kiwi proflex rider

Kevins19

• Apprentice
    • Online Portfolio
Re: Polishing Crank Arms?
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2004, 05:43:37 am »
Wow, that is a cool looking bike. That is exactly what I am talking about! New components, with a retro look! I might even have to strip and polish the crowns on my boxxer and order some "Slippery silver" stanchions!

The only problem is that with that much polished aluminum I might start blinding other riders on the trails from the glair. [smiley=laughing.gif]

Also, is that a kooka crank on there?! Those were so cool.